Lipo Charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbdwlf2500

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What chargers are you guys using? Say a 3s at 5000 mah... Would like to find one that uses a/c power.

Also, as far as balancing, do any do this without the "balancers" or does the balancer have to be seperate?

I use a Venom Pro. Most chargers that balance, balance charge, which is doing both. I rarely balance my smaller packs and balance my bigger packs like 5000mah like every few charges...

I use the Hyperion EOS0720i.

It's easy to use and convenient to just balance during every charge.

Best charger I have ever owned so far.

Hyperion1.jpg

I use the Hyperion EOS0720i.

It's easy to use and convenient to just balance during every charge.

Best charger I have ever owned so far.

Hyperion1.jpg

So if i bought this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370476970028 that would be all i need to be able to charge and balance the batteries on AC power? Basically, i wanna do this right the first time so i dont have to buy anything else except maybe another one so i can charge 2 at a time :) Ill never charge my batteries on dc power, ill just pull out the nitro

or this for that matter, i dont know enough to have a brand favorite yet http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/VENOM_PRO_CHARGER_PLUS_POWER_SUPPLY_p/ven0660.htm

Last edited:
Well, after searching all night I went with 6 Turnigys... 4 5200 2s 30c hard case for bashing as was suggested and 2 5000 3s 30c soft case for all out power... As for chargers i decided to use Thunder AC6's. I found a great price on them and they seem to do all i need and more.

Now what pisses me off is after 5 hours + of searching I found hard case 3s packs just like i wanted when i found the chargers and they were a great price... The soft case batteries may soon be for sale so i can use the hard case like I'm supposed to.

what does the plus do that the regular one doesn't?

what does the plus do that the regular one doesn't?

The Pro Charger Plus offers a 10 profile memory for all your different batteries, you simply "program your data, save it to memory", then when say you charge your 5000 Mah Lipo you hit "load data", your info is preprogrammed, it does a "battery check" you hit "confirm" and go work on your rig until it "beeps"...really cool feature as I have all 10 "memory" positions preloaded with say my 1800MAH NICD , 4200mah NiMH ,4000mah LiPO, etc...
Also the Pro Charger Plus will charge larger batteries and a higher charge rate, the "Plus" is more charger...
Here's some of the Specs..

Pro Charger:
Specifications:
Operating Voltage: 10.0-18.0 Volts
Circuit Power: 50 Watts
Charge Current: 0.1-5.0A
Current Drain fo Balancing Lipo: 200mah/Cell
NiCD/NiMH Cell Count: 1-15 Cell
LiPO/LiFe/Li-ION: 1-6 Series
Pb Battery Voltage: 2-20V
Weight: 12.3oz (350g)
Dimensions: 136 x 90 x 30mm

Pro Charger Plus:
Specifications:
LiPO/LiION/LiFE: 1-8 cells
NiMH/NiCD: 1-27 cells
Lead Acid (Pb): 2V-36V
Charge Rate: 0.1-7A
Discharge Rate: 0.1A-5A
Charge / Discharge Cycles: 1 to 5 cycles
10 Profile memory
USB PC link

i use one of these ebay chargers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/B6-7-4v-11-1v-1...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b73b4b9d

it has a built in balancer. the only downfall is the buttons themselves eventually stopped working which wasn't a big deal if you know how to solder, i took the charger apart, unsoldered the button jacks that were in it and soldered on some radioshack buttons that were 3 bucks for like 10 i only needed 4. it works great now, but i think ima have to replace another button soon. i only put 2 in. doesn't really matter i have lots of spares now. keep in mind i left the charger in the garage where moister and humidity got to it. this could be the reason the buttons went bad. but i have had trouble with those type of buttons before on other things.

as far as balancing goes, you should always balance your lipo's and use a fire proof bag. i don't have one and i'm kinda dumb for not using the balancer all the time. i only balance my lipo's once every 5 or so charges . i don't charge with as many amps when i balance them. i charge with a little more amps when i'm not balancing though.

DSCN0216.gif

DSCN0214.gif

DSCN0212.gif

i use one of these ebay chargers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/B6-7-4v-11-1v-1...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b73b4b9d

it has a built in balancer. the only downfall is the buttons themselves eventually stopped working which wasn't a big deal if you know how to solder, i took the charger apart, unsoldered the button jacks that were in it and soldered on some radioshack buttons that were 3 bucks for like 10 i only needed 4. it works great now, but i think ima have to replace another button soon. i only put 2 in. doesn't really matter i have lots of spares now. keep in mind i left the charger in the garage where moister and humidity got to it. this could be the reason the buttons went bad. but i have had trouble with those type of buttons before on other things.

as far as balancing goes, you should always balance your lipo's and use a fire proof bag. i don't have one and i'm kinda dumb for not using the balancer all the time. i only balance my lipo's once every 5 or so charges . i don't charge with as many amps when i balance them. i charge with a little more amps when i'm not balancing though.

DSCN0216.gif

DSCN0214.gif

DSCN0212.gif

Hmmm, I'm not sure about getting any warranty from Hong Kong....:ghost:

it was cheap enough i wasn't worried about a warranty.

I'm running a Hyperion EOS0606i at this point, and I also use a Duratrax Ice and a Triton Jr. All great chargers....

What's the circuit power and charge rates on the venom plus? The Pro has memory settings too,least mine did before it shot craps.

I'm running a duratrax onyx 235, works great, will only charge batts at 1c which i think is good cause it doesn't tempt me to charge them faster,

easy to set-up and has memory, plus its 89.99

What's the circuit power and charge rates on the venom plus? The Pro has memory settings too,least mine did before it shot craps.

Here's the full speal on the Venom Pro Charger Plus...

"Your batteries are expensive. We understand this and thats why we will not carry low-quality charging devices, and source them only from authorized distributors."

Features:

Microprocessor controlled
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Charges 1 to 8 cell LiXx, 1 to 27 cells NiXx, or Lead-Acid batteries.
Discharges batteries for L/T Storage.
Battery Break-in& Cycling, and Balancing of LiPO/LiION/LiFE cells.
User definable charge rates from 0.1 amps to 7.0 amps.
USB PC Linkability.
Temperature Probe and 10 User-Defined Charger Profiles.
Comes with six different charging plugs including the Traxxas® High Current Connector (TRX Plug).
AC/DC compatible with included AC power adapter.

Specifications:

Input Voltage: 12V DC
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~7.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~27
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~8
Weight: 21.1oz/598g
Dimensions: 164x120x45mm

Charging Capabilities:

LiPO/LiION/LiFE: 1-8 cells
NiMH/NiCD: 1-27 cells
Lead Acid (Pb): 2V-36V