Let's Talk Transmitters Real Quick

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thvts_Nvte

RCTalk Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have many a question about Transmitters.

Back about 10 years ago, when I had several Tamiya's a Crawler, a MST Drift car and a couple bashers I rocked Spektrum. I believe it was just a DX3S, and I used it for everything. It was solid, comfortable and idk it just worked. 2.4ghz controllers where still kind of new I guess and there wasn't really a huge market for aftermarket controllers. It felt like you either had a DX3, or if you had a decent job you had like a Futaba or something bonkers.

Well, on top of eyeing down some older nitro touring cars I would want them to be brought into the 2.4ghz age, I also noticed that when I took my Losi Mini-B out that I have a transmitter for each one of my 4 cars. And I do like my Traxxas TQi's the most, the new design is top notch and I'm sure I could use these all across the board I would like to have something a bit more programmable when it comes to fail safes on the nitro side. Cause even the Traxxas built in one is less than stellar.

So I started doing some research again and found myself down the Spektrum rabbit hole and I'm pretty oh I don't know, underwhelmed yet overwhelmed?

The DX6 Rugged looks the tits - but it seems Spektrum listened to absolutely none of the concerns or voices of the people using the old DX5 Rugged and you pay extra for their marketing of a rugged device that's not actually rugged and one that's functionally identical and less usable than their non-rugged and cheaper DX6. So, maybe this isn't the best option for me.

I hear FlySky and Radiolink's name get thrown around a lot. And they are cheap, but they also look cheap. I'm perfectly okay with spending a bit of money on something that feels a bit more premium. It's kind of like you're getting married to these things for a few years it seems like. So I saw I can get one of the older FlySky Noble NB4+ for about the same cost with a receiver. Those look like they feel premium, plus I like the screen and rechargeable-ness. I can't tell you the amount of AA's I've killed by accidentally leaving a radio on for a week doing nothing.

Radiolinks offerings don't seem to scream out to me, and I don't really seem all that attracted to anything that Futaba or Sanwa are offering in this price range, if I had the money I think I would do the M17 but that's a bit more than I'm willing to justify for just general bashers at this time. So, I suppose what are yalls thoughts and opinions on the matter? I'm interested to hear what there is to hear. I don't really even need 4 channel capable. Just 3. But it seems like you don't really get any super nice options until you get into the 4+ channel capable area. And that's totally okay.

At the end of the day I might just not get anything and actually start my slash revival build I keep telling myself I'm going to do. So, who the fiddlesticks knows?

Not me!

I have a mix, TQis, DX3s and the FlySky GT5. The flysky is by far the easiest to program for each model, and to me, it doesn't feel any more cheap in my hands than the others (none of which are top of the line).

Good luck, receiver features/cost helped me decide on the GT5

Man, you can't go wrong with a Flysky GT3B. Yeah, they look cheap, but they are awesome radios for $40. I would suggest you grab one just because they're cheap. Receivers are cheap too. Not so with other radios.

If I were to buy a nicer radio, I might look into Radiomaster. I know diddly squat about them, but have heard they are decent radios. They do look pretty nice too.

Futaba was always my goto back in the 80's and 90's. They are so damned expensive now though, I just can't justify it. But if I could... I would.

Steer clear of Radiolink. Firmware updates have been killing them. And the support is garbage from what I have read.

Airtronics was my pet transmitter back in the day... 75mhz and selectable channels on the receivers.

Yeah dude the Radiomaster MT12 looks pretty nice as well. And I have heard really good things about the FlySky GT3B - and for the price I bet you're right it probably can't be beat.

But yeah, Futaba has just always been so expensive. Their budget options start at a bill without a receiver and it's just like. ugh.

I've sort of unintentionally sold myself on that Noble NB4+, working in IT makes me ooh and ahh at fancy looking screens.

Your research is spot on, Fly Sky Noble series is a solid choice!

I have a brand new Graupner X-8E that has a carry case plus 3 Rx's that I will sell for $250 shipped. More info on it here:
https://www.rcdriver.com/graupner-x-8e-4-channel-2-4ghz-hott-color-tft-surface-radio/

It has been my backup system for a couple years now after I switched to the Noble. Thing is that I've never had to use the X-8E because the NB4 has been flawless. Two of the Rx's are used and I sold my older X-8E which was my primary system for many years, VERY happy with it.

Both the X-8E and NB4 are a tie when it comes to features, precision, quality however there are 3 distinct features why I prefer the NB4:

1) smaller/lighter system making it more portable to store in my pit bag
2) single charge on the NB4 lasts for 16+ hours where the X8E can only last a couple hours
3) NB4 offers antenna-less Rx's which have spoiled me

I am not hard pressed to sell my X-8E, don't mind keeping it as a backup but I also don't mind selling it and buying a NB4+ and making my older NB4 as a backup system.

Yeah dude the Radiomaster MT12 looks pretty nice as well. And I have heard really good things about the FlySky GT3B - and for the price I bet you're right it probably can't be beat.

But yeah, Futaba has just always been so expensive. Their budget options start at a bill without a receiver and it's just like. ugh.

I've sort of unintentionally sold myself on that Noble NB4+, working in IT makes me ooh and ahh at fancy looking screens.
The Noble is supposed to be a really good radio as well. A lot of racers are using it.

Currently you can get a used Noble NB4 pretty cheap as lost of people are selling to buy the new Noble NB4+. The RadioMaster MT12 is a great radio system but warning it has a steep learning curve as it's OS is EdgeTX which is a great system but originates from the drone/heli/plane community so terminology is different and the transmitter is fully programmable and not a simple plug-n-play pick up and drive.

There are two versions of the MT12 available. ELRS which is the low latency long range protocol system and the 4-n-1 which is compatible with almost all of the common receivers used in RTR vehicles and with other radio systems like Spektrum, Futaba, Radiolink, Flysky etc.

Something to think about is the cost of receivers. The receiver costs can make the total radio system cost go up very quickly.

So I listened to my better judgement (for once) and decided to stay in the sub $200 range. Which will free up a small bit of funds for my next purchase
it's 5th scale

And I went with the Radiomaster MT12 - I do love me some open source goodness

Radiomaster MT12.PNG

But in classic ThvtsNvte fashion, well I'm an idiot - and quite frankly lazy by the time I get home. I tried to get my receiver working on my Revo which I figured would be fine and doable with the ER3C Receiver, but it totally left my mind that I still have the twin steering servo setup. So, I can't exactly use that receiver lol. Well, I promptly ordered the ER5C (I won't be using the opti-drive) so I'll have enough channels there.

I might throw this spare ER3C on my Mini-B, or my Drift car for the time being just so I can use my new toy. But we will see if some time free's up. I have all of my LiPo's in storage except the one in my Revo anyways and I'll be tied up with the work tomorrow. My ER5C will be here sometime Saturday - so that day for sure I will actually use it and be able to give some opinions on it.

Seems nice, you get a ton of random modules with it as well. Seems super trick, tons of settings. First impressions are good! But, I won't know if I actually like it until I get to use it. 2 day shipping for a $20 5 channel receiver is a huuuge plus in my book too.

But in classic ThvtsNvte fashion, well I'm an idiot - and quite frankly lazy by the time I get home. I tried to get my receiver working on my Revo which I figured would be fine and doable with the ER3C Receiver, but it totally left my mind that I still have the twin steering servo setup. So, I can't exactly use that receiver lol. Well, I promptly ordered the ER5C (I won't be using the opti-drive) so I'll have enough channels there.

You can always get a y-cable to run 2 servos in one channel slot.

I went with the DX5 rugged, then a month later the DX6 came out and fixed the annoying issues of that touch screen. I'd probably would be interested in the NB4

Back