Spektrum "Avian" ESC reversing.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesLinquist

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a used plane with a Spektrum "Avian" 60A ESC. The plane had reverse thrust enabled when used with a Spektrum transmitter and receiver. I want to use the reverse-thrust feature, but I do not (and don't plan to buy) a Spektrum receiver or transmitter. I will use this ESC with a CUBE autopilot and FrSky transmitter. I'm an Electrical Engineer and I completely understand ESC protocols like PWM and D-Shot. The ESC works fine - in one direction only - using standard 1000-2000 us PWM.

My question is - how do I get this ESC to reverse without using a Spektrum setup? If necessary, I can write code to provide any kind of signals to the ESC, but don't know what is required to get it to reverse. Does it respond to D-Shot or some other serial binary format in order to accomplish this?

The ESC already has Reverse Thrust ENABLED. The guy I bought the plane from used it all the time. But I do not want to use the Spektrum receiver because it lacks
the functionality I need. I have installed a CUBE flight controller and am running ArudPilot software. I use a different brand of radios that are not Spektrum compatible. The plane flies great, and - if I wish, flies autonomously using GPS and follows a pre-programmed route. It even lands by itself. But I need to enable reverse thrust because when landing on hard surfaces, the plane rolls too far. The plane is a Turbo Timber Evolution and Reverse Thrust was included to reduce the roll - but I'm not using Spektrum equipment anymore. I'm a H/W and S/W Engineer and I can (and do) write code to give Ardupilot new features that I need. I can make the FC output any signal that I wish. But I need to know what exact sequence I need to put it in "reverse mode". As I said, the plane flies perfectly now - except that I want (and need) that reverse thrust. People keep telling me how to "turn on" that feature in the ESC, but that feature is already turned ON. I need to know what signals I need to send it to force it to reverse. I would think that detailed control information would be provided in the ESC manual, but it is not.

Ok. A esc will not always see the reverse command from a sending pwm source. you have to follow the calibration steps and enable that.(some people that switch brand A to brand b radio might have had all esc function in one radio but radio wont recognize same commands as other brand"b" Thats the best I can explain it if you need better clarity you need to talk with spektrum(I dont like there brand )

So the radio is an FrSky? I have an X9D running OpenTX, but am not familiar with the Arudpilot software you are referring to. If I am reading this right, you don't have the Spectrum Tx/Rx? If you had access to one, couldn't you test it to see what signal it puts out in reverse?

nope Fog.
he is running this..CUBE flight controller and is running ArudPilot software
he is writing his own code to control the arudipilot its a open source controller right or not charles?

Last edited:
figures. no answer to my questions.. so did you do a correct calibration with the controller you are using yet?

I totally understand this. The ESC has already been programmed to reverse by someone else. My question is NOT how to set it up for reversing, it is instead, How do I "tell" the ESC to reverse while in use? I found out that Spektrum uses a serial protocol called SRXL2, and while I am capable of writing code that "talks" SRXL2 protocol, that would be a lot of work. The Aria ESC also works with PWM signals. I'm asking if there is any way I can make the ESC reverse the motor by using PWM? I have found that the ESC range can be set in the traditional way - that is, power up with the "high value" (2000uSec) and then lower it to the "low value" (typically 1000uSec). If it can be made to reverse using only PWM, it would save me a lot of time and frustration. My Flight Controller does not output SRXL2 protocol, and I do not need telemetry from the ESC.