Kyosho vs HPI

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prophet216

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking to add a 3rd nitro to my collection, I was looking at kyosho and hpi, and was wondering what peoples takes are on the two companies and their build quality and performance vs one another. I would be looking at 1/8 scale 4wd buggy's or truggies/s.t.

Thanks in advance

I have 3 HPIs and 2 Kyoshos. I would say they are of equal quality. The HPIs seem to be built of heavier parts but I dont break stuff on the Kyoshos. The Kyoshos are better drivers as shipped IMHO. Thay are lighter and more agile. The KE25 engine in the kyoshos is very easy to start and tune and makes plenty of power. I dont think you could go wrong with either brand.

If you want a really fun basher look at the Kyosho FO-XX I have had a lot of fun with mine and it is different.
IMG_6256.gif

IMG_6606.gif

IMG_6614.gif

IMG_6117.gif

Last edited:
I am more interested in the buggies or stadium trucks. At 1/8 scale they are big enough to bash around even in the snow. I have a revo so not looking to add a climber. Just wondering what people think of the two companies and their build quality and performance quality

Climber? It has the same engine as the Inferno Neo ST and a 3 speed transmission so it is faster.

The HPI Savage is a tank durability-wise. I can say that that I have had good luck with both companies but can't really compare due to size disparity (Kyosho dNAno/Mini-Z vs. HPI Baja 5b).

Do not have an HPI to compare with but I have been a diehard Kyosho fan for a LONG time! I would buy the Kyosho in a heartbeat.

They're both great- I own a HPI buggy, excellent customer service, runs well, really tough. I'm sure the same can be said for anything Kyosho too.

When is the last time the neo was updated? The biggest reserve I have about the neo is I've read lots of places that model is almost 15 years old since last revision, but can't actually find dates myself. Also looking at the losi 8ight now as well

Last edited:
I do 8ight T too. It started out as a Dynamite Gas truck and I put an LRP nitro in it. Honestly I think you would be happy with any of the choices I have seen you considering. They are all good trucks that drive well.
IMG_6603.gif