Kyosho Ultima and nostalgia question!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will fit. How much of a tight squeeze it is and how you have to run the motor wires may depend on the motor. Wicked did make his Castle brushless motor fit and Big Squid made one fit so it is doable.
Perfect . Thanks to all who have taken time to answer. Looking forward to getting this project underway.

It will fit. How much of a tight squeeze it is and how you have to run the motor wires may depend on the motor. Wicked did make his Castle brushless motor fit and Big Squid made one fit so it is doable.
Well, it will depend on where the motor mounting holes are. You can make anything work of course. Having the wires come out the side of the can instead of solder tabs will make thing better or worse. Hard to say. It is the part of the Ultima I like least though. There really isn't a good way to route any of the wiring, at least with the electronics I went with. Even connecting the battery to the ESC is a pain. The Scorpion chassis is much easier to get the wiring in there cleanly. And there is more room around the motor.

Well, it will depend on where the motor mounting holes are. You can make anything work of course. Having the wires come out the side of the can instead of solder tabs will make thing better or worse. Hard to say. It is the part of the Ultima I like least though. There really isn't a good way to route any of the wiring, at least with the electronics I went with. Even connecting the battery to the ESC is a pain. The Scorpion chassis is much easier to get the wiring in there cleanly. And there is more room around the motor.
I didnt consider the wires coming directly out of the side of the can as opposed to tabs but where theres a will theres a way! :)

I didnt consider the wires coming directly out of the side of the can as opposed to tabs but where theres a will theres a way! :)
Sorry to hit you guys with minutia questions, but there is so much out there. I have found a Kyosho 60A esc that apparently comes with their readyset line of vehicles that I can purchase as a standalone. It says it can be used with Li-Po.. (brushed only) I can’t see any reason why this won’t work?

Sorry to hit you guys with minutia questions, but there is so much out there. I have found a Kyosho 60A esc that apparently comes with their readyset line of vehicles that I can purchase as a standalone. It says it can be used with Li-Po.. (brushed only) I can’t see any reason why this won’t work?
If you're going to use it with a brushed motor then yeah, should be fine. Just make sure it has an LVC if you're going to use it with a LiPo. Or at least get a low voltage alarm if it doesn't have an LVC

If you're going to use it with a brushed motor then yeah, should be fine. Just make sure it has an LVC if you're going to use it with a LiPo. Or at least get a low voltage alarm if it doesn't have an LVC

Yes, it does have a low voltage cut off, is it OK to use a Lipo on a brushed motor though?

OK can someone please explain this to me?? I’ve come across countless brushed 540 motor options, like from Holmes, turnigy, etc… can someone please tell me what the heck is the difference between a crawler motor and a non-crawler motor? I mean I know what an RC crawler is but can I use a crawler motor in an Ultima??

OK can someone please explain this to me?? I’ve come across countless brushed 540 motor options, like from Holmes, turnigy, etc… can someone please tell me what the heck is the difference between a crawler motor and a non-crawler motor? I mean I know what an RC crawler is but can I use a crawler motor in an Ultima??
As far as I'm aware crawler motors are designed for torque density, efficiency, and smoothness as opposed to a more normal 540 motor which will be engineered more for higher RPMs. I'm not sure if these are the only differences but thats some of them. Basically theyre just engineered with difference applications in mind.

Can you use a crawler motor in a Kyosho? You can but it wont be optimal. You could find it to be relatively slow in comparison depending on the crawler motor. For example a 3 slot Holmes Hobby TrailMaster Sport 550 12T is equivalent to a 3100Kv motor but the 5 slot CrawlMaster Sport 550 13T is only equivalent to a 1450Kv motor. So if you put the TrailMaster Sport 550 12T in it youd probably see decent speed out of it and work fine but if you put a CrawlMaster Sport 550 13T youd probably find it lacking.

All that being said, there could be other factors that I'm not aware of that could come in to play but this is what I'm aware of.

Thank you!! That was kind of what I ascertained from researching, but was not sure. Thank you for the valuable information!

Much appreciated.