Drone kit in a boat?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jostro65

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice from those in the the know...
So back a few years when I had a rough idea of what I was doing, along with a ton of help and advice, I built a quadcopter.
I moved onto DJI soon after, but my old drone was still in the cupboard.
I'm now in the process of building quite a large model boat, italeri elco pt-596, and want to have a go at motorising it.
Simple question to kick off, can I use the drone motors/escs etc in it?

Hi all, looking for some advice from those in the the know...
So back a few years when I had a rough idea of what I was doing, along with a ton of help and advice, I built a quadcopter.
I moved onto DJI soon after, but my old drone was still in the cupboard.
I'm now in the process of building quite a large model boat, italeri elco pt-596, and want to have a go at motorising it.
Simple question to kick off, can I use the drone motors/escs etc in it?
That might be doable as long as the ESC's don't get too hot. They aren't designed to be used in an enclosed area. Does yours have a singe ESC board for all the motors, or individual ones for each motor?

That might be doable as long as the ESC's don't get too hot. They aren't designed to be used in an enclosed area. Does yours have a singe ESC board for all the motors, or individual ones for each motor?
Hi Wicked, thanks for quick reply.
I've tried to read up on escs and motor kv and all that stuff but the old brain can't process that any more!
Each motor has separate esc, but if possible I was looking at running 2 motors from one ESC if they could handle that. I don't need them to run at different speeds like in the drone, so no need to be separate, unless there's another advantage?
I'm just trying to keep it simple as poss and low cost. There's a motorised kit available but nearly £200 which no longer makes it a fun project!
Props, shafts and bearings can be had complete on the Chinese sites for like a fiver a piece and along with a simple controller kit that won't kill me, it seems the expensive end is the power train.
I'll stick on the motor/esc details shortly so you can see the starting point.
Thanks again.

I have 4 of each of the escs and 4 of the motors. I'll try figure out a way of attaching the prop shafts to the threaded ends on the motors if they can be used.
IMG20240312122705.jpg
IMG20240312122651.jpg
IMG20240312122543.jpg

Last edited:
You would need to run each motor with it's own ESC. The only concern is heat. Most boats will have a cooling block with water running through it to cool the ESC and motor.

I think fitting some cooling wouldn't be a major concern, either by fitting cooling fan in the wheelhouse or water cooling, (electric pumped to run constantly or just forced through when boat is running).
I'm not too bad at modifying my builds but it's the sparky bits that really get me. So often I've let the magic blue smoke out and I've been unable to find some for sale anywhere!

Back