Kyosho or traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prophet216

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Not sure what I wanna get next. A 1/10 or 1/8 buggy from kyosho or get a slayer pro from traxxas. Any suggestions? What makes that you're choice?

If it was me I'd go with a Kyosho buggy as I've had an itch recently for a buggy.

Get both. I have an Inferno Neo ST and an FO-XX. Great cars with 0 problems. I have a Slayer pro and it's a blast too. I think the biggest consideration is where you run. The Slayer is not great in grass.

Kinda want the slayer for all wheel drive fun in the snow

But a 1/8 buggy my be better

Neither will work well at all in the snow. Too much weight to tire contact ratio. Also way too low. Needs to sit tall and have large tires or it just cuts in and your stuck. Surprising how little snow i takes for these things to get stuck.

After having both the slayer and 1/8th buggy... if you want big air jumps, then buggy. If you want something that's kind of top heavy but mildly amusing, go with a slayer. I had mine for a while, but converted it over to a revo not too long after getting it. It was amusing, but rolled a lot.

I have a revo and a rustler. Looking for a 3rd something to play with in the snow with the boys. The rustler with pl super swampers tires is pretty damn lifted

Probably a slayer then... but not with stock tires. It will literally just sink and be stuck. I ran 1/8th buggy tires/wheels on mine,then there was less sidewall roll.

4x4 is a must for the snow IMO. Tall and skinny tires because the cut thru the snow to make contact with the pavement underneath. Same theory as a 1:1 car. I have never done this bu5 I am wondering how a set of paddles would go in the snow. There are also ski kits for the front. You'd have to doable the 4x4 to use them tho. I had one of this conversions years and years ago... It was fun but no good for a not waterproof esc. Even with precautions take to wrap and deal everything... So there is another consideration... Waterproof everything you run.
If you want to keep the boys running sort of side by side, the slayer is a good option. Of you want to give them something different, go 1/8 scale.
Getting past the winter, what will you, or they be doing with their cars? Do you race at a track? Another cconsideration... Do they run an 1/8 scale track? The 1/8 scale are scary fast if you build it like that, 1/8 scale everything is more expensive. Everything!
I have ALWAYS been a Kyosho fan. I love their kits, I love their design, I love how they drive. That said, not every local hobby shop carries their parts. Traxxas parts are everywhere. If you just shop on line, parts for either brand are no issues, always available.
So if you want them running equally, slayer. (no fighting over who is gonna get to run what)... I hope the considerations pointed out helps to make the right decision.
Good luck!
Please post back... I'd like to know what you chose and why.
Thanks!

4x4 is a must for the snow IMO. Tall and skinny tires because the cut thru the snow to make contact with the pavement underneath. Same theory as a 1:1 car. I have never done this bu5 I am wondering how a set of paddles would go in the snow. There are also ski kits for the front. You'd have to doable the 4x4 to use them tho. I had one of this conversions years and years ago... It was fun but no good for a not waterproof esc. Even with precautions take to wrap and deal everything... So there is another consideration... Waterproof everything you run.
If you want to keep the boys running sort of side by side, the slayer is a good option. Of you want to give them something different, go 1/8 scale.
Getting past the winter, what will you, or they be doing with their cars? Do you race at a track? Another cconsideration... Do they run an 1/8 scale track? The 1/8 scale are scary fast if you build it like that, 1/8 scale everything is more expensive. Everything!
I have ALWAYS been a Kyosho fan. I love their kits, I love their design, I love how they drive. That said, not every local hobby shop carries their parts. Traxxas parts are everywhere. If you just shop on line, parts for either brand are no issues, always available.
So if you want them running equally, slayer. (no fighting over who is gonna get to run what)... I hope the considerations pointed out helps to make the right decision.
Good luck!
Please post back... I'd like to know what you chose and why.
Thanks!

Haven't decided yet, will defiantly let you know what I decide. Its gonna be slayer or a buggy for sure, kinda leaning towards the slayer because I'm familiar with traxxas, but I'm concerned about the ground clearance. The 1/8 buggy will give more clearance. And mostly bash in the neighborhood

More clearance for sure! Also, a lot more power available to you depending on your mods. in an 1/8. The 1/8 will run better in a variety of different terrains as well. The slayer seems to like pavement and smooth dirt etc... It will handle jumps and all that but grass will prob be an issue.
1/8 will take it all. What about going 1/10 scale buggy??? Kind of a mix between the 2 and you'll get the advantages of the 1/8 without the expense of the 1/8.

More clearance for sure! Also, a lot more power available to you depending on your mods. in an 1/8. The 1/8 will run better in a variety of different terrains as well. The slayer seems to like pavement and smooth dirt etc... It will handle jumps and all that but grass will prob be an issue.
1/8 will take it all. What about going 1/10 scale buggy??? Kind of a mix between the 2 and you'll get the advantages of the 1/8 without the expense of the 1/8.
Like recommend a 1/10 buggy for me to check out

It is a very nice ride. Great driver, pull or bump start it. Starts easily. Engine is fantastic. 4x4 zero issues.
The radio that comes with it is nice too.
IMG_6606.gif

Make sure that if you run in the snow, that you have waterproofed servos and electrics.

i would say kyosho I've had an ultima for a while now (1991) and still runs goods

Back