keep breaking pull starts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luski09

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I keep breaking pulls on my street force gp.

i rebuilt the pull start with all kinds of threads including regular cotton thread, and even fishing line.

they all keep breaking. i have a new one coming in the mail, and can't justify spending the $50 on a quick start.

any suggestions on a material with a high tensile strength?

Is the motor new or has it been broken in? Does it still have a tight pinch?
I've never had my pullstarts break the cord. What motor is it?

Have you checked to see if there is anything that is cutting it?

Wear are they breaking? Middle of the rope? near the handle? Inside the housing and close to the the spool? I'm guessing you keep breaking the rope and not the recoil spring?

Is the motor new or has it been broken in? Does it still have a tight pinch?
I've never had my pullstarts break the cord. What motor is it?

its the velocity .15. no I'm not breaking the coil. the rope broke in the recoil assembly the first time, and broke at the pull the other 2 times.

I don't know what you mean by a tight pinch.

Heat the engine up to 200 deg before you try starting it. The engine will expand and remove some compression for easier starting.

You sure your not over-pulling it? These thing have a short cord. Pulling 10-12 inches is all you can do or you just rip it apart.

Granted, there are a few that are an exception, but most only have 16-20 inches or so of rope. That last 2-3 inches are wrapped around the spool inside and help avoid stressing the knot. When you pull full extension, your putting all the stress on the knots.

Tiger drives are $20.00 at my local hobby shop and the hex drive for the powerdrill is another $5.....Check out your lhs's prices ......The Tiger drive will keep you from going crazy fixing broken pullstarts;-only downfall is always having a drill along with the glowstick to start it....

Tiger drives are $20.00 at my local hobby shop and the hex drive for the powerdrill is another $5.....Check out your lhs's prices ......The Tiger drive will keep you from going crazy fixing broken pullstarts;-only downfall is always having a drill along with the glowstick to start it....

what exactly is that. i saw some battery pulls online, but they require a 7.2v battery pack.

ooo! i am going to get that if my new pull start breaks!:)

For a replacement cord these should work.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pull-Start-Cord-AE15-AE12/dp/B0006O38ZY/ref=sr_1_6/185-6322034-4495664?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246081794&sr=8-6"]AMAZON[/ame]
EBay

u know a tiger drive is sn exilent idea..but another idea is when ur starting ur motor for the first time loosen the glow plug just enough to get the compression levels lower..

sounds like your over pulling on the pull start. the owner of the local hobby shop here says the best way to start a motor with a pull start is pull it like a little girl. personally i have never liked pull starters as i have shoulder problems. the tiger or roto type system is a good replacement. BUT going with a roto start system does have a draw back. if your tune is off and the motor floods and your using a drill to turn the shaft the torque of the drill possibly/will damage the connecting rod. so if you go with a roto start type system make sure you use a drill with a torque setting that is adjustable.

u know a tiger drive is sn exilent idea..but another idea is when ur starting ur motor for the first time loosen the glow plug just enough to get the compression levels lower..

x2 this is exactly what i do to save my pull start works very well but "DONT FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE PLUG BEFORE RUNNING":D

cool. i will try to loosen the glow before starting. got it all together today. all i have to do is install one of my new plugs and see how she runs!

cool. i will try to loosen the glow before starting. got it all together today. all i have to do is install one of my new plugs and see how she runs!

you dont need to loosin it alot just 1/4 turn maybe even alittle less you willnotice it much more easy to pull "DONT FORGET TO TIGHTEN IT BACK UP"

thanks for the links to the pull strings. i got the new one in the mail and installed it today. started up fine. though, is it normal to have to give it like 3/4 throttle to start it?

Not usually. The only time I need to do that with any of mine is when they are hot (normal running temp) or when they are getting weak and compression is minimal.

Maybe your tune is off.

Not usually. The only time I need to do that with any of mine is when they are hot (normal running temp) or when they are getting weak and compression is minimal.

Maybe your tune is off.

that is more than likely. since i've had it (second hand) i've never touched the carb.. guess its time

Back