Just thought I would share

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

A couple of weeks ago my father was over the house. We had just gotten done on our winter maintenance on our deer stands, and were finishing up cleaning up the four wheelers when I decieded to go and get the T4 to play around the driveway with. I started wheeling around the driveway when Dad asked to give it a shot. I handed over the controler and watched as his face just lit up. He has driven my Tmaxx before, although he didn't care for it much. So I just figured he would take it for a few laps and then just hand the controler over. Before I knew it he was asking how much one of these cost, and how hard they were to take care of. I gave him the run down and I thought it would be left at that. He started asking if there were some entry level electrics out there. He liked the T4, but wanted to stay in the $200 range. He just wanted something to charge an go. He also wanted an MT so that he could run it through the grass better than the T4. He had me check the LHS that day to see what they had and to check on prices. Well I still didn't think he was serious. Then a couple of days later he called to see if I had checked on prices for him. Well to make a long story short, we went down to the LHS and he picked out a new Stampede with the XL5 ESC. Man we took that thing home and unpacked it and I have never seen him have so much fun! I don't think that thing has sat still since he got it. He brought it over last weekend, and we had a blast just bashing around the yard. This is a 52 year old man mind you. He was having the time of his life. Dad and I have not always seen eye to eye, and he rarely showed much interest in my hobbies growing up, but to be able to spend some time with him now doing something together has meant more to me than all the RC I have or will ever have. Two grown men, out there having fun with "Toys" it was great! Anyway, I just thought I would share.

Tom

Hey Guys,

A couple of weeks ago my father was over the house. We had just gotten done on our winter maintenance on our deer stands, and were finishing up cleaning up the four wheelers when I decieded to go and get the T4 to play around the driveway with. I started wheeling around the driveway when Dad asked to give it a shot. I handed over the controler and watched as his face just lit up. He has driven my Tmaxx before, although he didn't care for it much. So I just figured he would take it for a few laps and then just hand the controler over. Before I knew it he was asking how much one of these cost, and how hard they were to take care of. I gave him the run down and I thought it would be left at that. He started asking if there were some entry level electrics out there. He liked the T4, but wanted to stay in the $200 range. He just wanted something to charge an go. He also wanted an MT so that he could run it through the grass better than the T4. He had me check the LHS that day to see what they had and to check on prices. Well I still didn't think he was serious. Then a couple of days later he called to see if I had checked on prices for him. Well to make a long story short, we went down to the LHS and he picked out a new Stampede with the XL5 ESC. Man we took that thing home and unpacked it and I have never seen him have so much fun! I don't think that thing has sat still since he got it. He brought it over last weekend, and we had a blast just bashing around the yard. This is a 52 year old man mind you. He was having the time of his life. Dad and I have not always seen eye to eye, and he rarely showed much interest in my hobbies growing up, but to be able to spend some time with him now doing something together has meant more to me than all the RC I have or will ever have. Two grown men, out there having fun with "Toys" it was great! Anyway, I just thought I would share.

Tom

Hey Tom, thats very cool! Gotta grab the bull by the horns and have your parents involved in a good way!
Parents are funny sometimes, mine live back in Germany so we communicate a lot by email/ phone. Right after I got my Revo, I told my mother over the phone and shortly after, my dad was on the phone and asked me to send him pictures. So I did. A very good friend of mine from the military runs a huge hobbyshop in Germany. My father has been there a few times just to visit, he's a Medicine Doctor and drops by there on his way home every once in a great decade to chit chat with him. Lately, I'm told, he's been looking at all the models and while my mother would kill him for bringing a Revo home (they know how much money went into mine) he's looking at a Stampede as well.
Nitro is not real for him, since they live in a pretty exclusive setting with too many laywers around, haha! Our family airport is half a mile away, and I have planted the bug! We'll see, once I have him on the phone and he starts asking questions about batteries, I'll know.
He's 54 by the way, and by the time he gets fascinated with something you can see some blue eyes sparkle! Parents are reserved with "playing stuff" until you let them have it, they can play like kids. I miss em everyday.:(
Jason

Great story! I know exactly what you are talking about. I never realized this as a kid, but now I realize that you only have so much time in life, and that the time I get to spend with my Dad will not last forever. I truly cherish the time I get to spend with him. Like I said I spent most of my childhood trying to make things difficult for him... and I think he was trying to make it difficult for me too! LOL Now we have something we can do together and it is probably the most fun I have had in RC's or in life in a long time.

Tom

Great story Tom! My Dad has NEVER shown any interest, supported, or cared about anything I have ever done :nono: I certainly won't make that mistake with my sons. Enjoy the time with your Dad, I think that's great!

Thanks NC... my father has never taken an interest until now..... When I was a kid I was on my own. I really do appreciate the time I have now though. I promised my wife I would not force our children to like RC, but hopefully my stepson will take an interest when he gets older. Until that day comes though... I am playing leggo's and power rangers as much as I can.

Tom

Like I said I spent most of my childhood trying to make things difficult for him... and I think he was trying to make it difficult for me too!.

Tom

True, I believe we all have. I was lucky, grew up around aviation, lots of flying, my Dad and I logged almost 600 flighthours together, and when he came over here to stay 4 weeks with us, we flew lierally from dusk to dawn. He stopped flying 10 Years ago, because he bought 2 Quarterhorses for a hobby. He has supported me in any way possible, but always demanded from me to always put 150% in, no matter what I do. I think for parents it's hard to see their kids get sucked into "real life" and when they catch you being childish and playing just for fun later, they lighten up. I bought my first BMW M5 at age 20, my mom freaked out (money, fast, oh my god, you're our only son...) Dad supported me 100%, drove it alot but heck did he have a serious talk about that thing with me. 1 Year later I lost a very good friend of mine in an aircraft accident (wing seperated during spin with student) and his dad literally got grey and old within 2 weeks after that. During the funeral my dad just gave me a loooong look, and on the way home he bumped me and said: "Thats where I was coming from with your M5" Mostly they have reasons for being hard on you. Guess it all comes with a reason.

Hey Revo,

I know what you mean. I never truly understood until I was a father.... how a father thinks when it comes to his children. Even though he is just my stepson I still wish I could shelter him from everything. Truth is though, you have to let him grow up.

My father was always hard on me..... Which now I can look back on and see why. I want my stepson to know that there is a reason I am hard on him sometimes. Although he probably will not understand until he is much older. But spending time with him while he is young is really important to me. They grow up so damn fast!

Tom

i suppose I'm lucky then. I am 14 and have being racing for about 3-4 years and even before i had a car, just mentioning it my dad took an interest. I ahd my Tamiya TL-01 for about 4 weeks when my dad bought a thunder tiger home, we used to go up the car park every sunday and have a blast for an hour or two. Now we mainly race in the streets. We are even planning on buiding our own off-road track. I love spending time with my dad bashing around the streets or something, I'm glad i have a dad that takes an interest in my hobbies or they just wouldn't be as much fun

Hey Guys,

Tom

Probably one of the best stories I've heard in quite some time and man did I need a pick-me-up today!

I'm thrilled for you, Tom! Good for you!

I've got to admit that my dad has always supported me in all of my endeavors. He, too, is a professional and works way too hard. As I started getting serious about this hobby, he stated how much he missed flying (too expensive as just a hobby). Around Christmas I was at the lhs and saw an electric Cessna 182 like the one he used rent when his Piper Cherokee was in the shop. He loves the plane, but he is still afraid to fly it for fear of breaking something. One of these afternoons, I'm just going to drag him out of the office and make him play. lol

Thats great bro, it's always nice to hear a good father son story!

I've been into the rc thing about 5 years, and my dad never really took interest in it. he will watch while were out bashing but in his eyes were dumb for flinging a 1000$ toy 30ft in the air...

I've even offered to let him drive my savage (its a savage how bad can he hurt it?) and he turned it down because he know how much they cost.

when i was small we always had rc cars, they were the cheepo radio shack ones but we had them so i know he likes them its just the money involved. he even looked at rc planes when i was younger as well.

hopefully when his job slows down and he has some free time ill get him behind the wheel of the savage or revo and he will catch the bug.

Thats a good story man. I wish my dad would show some entrest in rc's. He just sees them as a money pit with no bottom. Iv tried numerous times to get him into it. I've even offered to buy him a mini so we can drive those together but he a stubborn as a mule. He is just set that dirtbikes is the greatest thing in the world, but dont get me wrong i love my dirt bike too. O well maby some day ill be able to share the hobby with him. I dont think he has the pationce anyway.

Bryson

This is one hell of a great thread....I am 37 years old, and dad now has grandkids...So our time we spend together is usually in the woods or on the lake....I always joke with my dad that when I was 17 years old...He was a "blithering idiot" by the time I turned 23,....well, lets just say he was a damn "genius". My father was always supportive of me....I was of the generation that my hobby was sports...sports...and more sports...its what I did, its what I wanted to do....My other interests all involved the outdoors...He never missed a game or meet...I will say he is kinda excited about seeing the REVO run....Great Posts Guys....I too, needed something like this today...

Hawk

That was how my father looked at it as well. He would come down in the basement and just kinda look around and ask why I needed all of this. Then would be flabergasted at how much I spent on these "toys" Now to be completely honest with you... I don't ever see my dad going out and dropping $1500 on a CRT... but you never know. If that day ever happens that would be great, but as long as we can continue to bash around I am has happy a pig in slop! I never thought I would see the day that my dad took an interest.. so for those trying to get there fathers involved... keep at you never know. I never in my wildest dreams would guess he would take to it as fast as he did.... but I am not asking questions either. Just spending some valuable time with my old man.

Tom

Quoting beason here: he will watch while were out bashing but in his eyes were dumb for flinging a 1000$ toy 30ft in the air...
Once the pieces fly in six different directions (Heli's and Airplanes) not only my parents thought that... me too :)

Best is, if you have a solid friendship, to do what you said, drag him outside, hand him the controls and see if his eyes don't sparke at all. I'm almost willing to bet, that they will. For all the youngsters here, it's actually not only a one way street: If kid's involve their parents (not only the other way around) it can become a lot of quality time, and heck I didn't know what words my professional Dr. Dad could use in one sentence until he had crashed one of my gliderplanes... LOL

Last edited:
wow I've heard some real awesome stories just now.. thats very cool.
when my father was young he had rcs.. i remember when i was real young he had a tamiya frog.. i had wanted a clod for along time and he always would gimme crap about about it.. then one day i was lookin at a website and he ims me.. sayin them clods are cool .. he went on to ask some questions so i educated him about them.. He later bought a stock one wich is now a bad to the bone crawler .. now lately i was talkin about gettin a nitro. he bought one a rc10gt. now i just got one.. pretty cool. but there pretty much always been somethin we were both into.. for along time we were both big into mountain racing.. was alota fun.. exspensive but fun.. tomarow I'm goin to his house then we are goin to the hobby shop to get stuf for my rc10gt.

Thanks NC... my father has never taken an interest until now..... When I was a kid I was on my own. I really do appreciate the time I have now though. I promised my wife I would not force our children to like RC, but hopefully my stepson will take an interest when he gets older. Until that day comes though... I am playing leggo's and power rangers as much as I can.

Tom

Hey come on now, you are never too old for leggos. lol My boy isn't into power rangers but I get a good dose of match box and hot wheels. Any time you can spend with your kids is cool it's also great when your Dad wants to play too. I'm happy for you, great story. .:celebrate3 There is an R/C airfield near here that I am going to take my boy to next weekend, he's really not into planes but maybe that will change:

Good story, definately enjoy your time with your Dad. Mine's been gone for 10 years now, long before I started this hobby, but I think he would have enjoyed it too.

Thats awesome.. I think my dad could also really get into Rc's. When I 1st got into the hobby, he thought it was dumb and "Immature" that I spent alot of my time (and $$) towards r/c's. So I wouldnt bring them out if he was around otherwise I figured Id hear it from him. One day in a pissy mood, I said screw it and brought out the savage.. His eyes lit up when he saw the speed of the thing, and how the engine sounded. I had to take off the lid and show him how everything worked and even let him take it for a rip. He ended up hitting a apple tree and breaking a upright, but I was just happy to see him take interest. That was the last time he ever gave me a hard time about my "Hobby" and still to this day, everytime I take one out, he follows me out the door to watch, and if I'm feeling generous, Ill hand him the controls..lol..

Back