Jammin X1-CRT Review.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good deal Mike, let me know if you need anything else.

Engine choices

I've given my CRT it's maiden test run with an RB S7-II engine and it flew.
Admittedly I was not happy with the standard CRT clutch springs, I found the clutch was taking quite high and a little grabby, but then again, new shoes, new clutchbell, so it may smooth out once I get a few tanks thru it.

The RB S7-II performed quite well in the CRT, as Brandon said RBs are easy to tune and can scream. The S7-II is also an angel on fuel which will pay off in the Mains races. I've pitted for guys who do over 6 1/2 minutes per (125ml) tank on track with their buggies running RB S7-II engines
I think it worked well due to the CRT being so light, my race buddies commented that the CRT was ligher than some buggies (like the Swift RTR) so it impressed with the .21 which is my buggy's engine and should go back into my EB4 buggy sooner rather than later.

I am still in a bit of a dilema on what engine to buy for the CRT. I've asked the UK Forums and some Members say OS .30 where others say HoBao Hyper .26 engine and some swear by a decent .21 mill.
My local track is fairly flat and here in the UK we do a lot of grass and astroturf (synthetic grass) events. The tracks are long and sweeping by design with technical areas and jumps, including triples

I will be taking the CRT out for one final run with the S7-II to give it a test run in a park area with some damp grass that has a nice incline on it
I've fitted a Fantom Engineering pipe to the CRT to add some bottom end, something the S7-II lacks

I'll keep you informed. It seems that as complete as the X1-CRT is in design and quality, the biggest grey area on this truggy is engine choice. The debacle continues..

Hey Mondo,

I put the OS .30 in mine. I am not going to ever race ROAR events and I am just in it to have fun. My LHS has races every Saturday and they will alow the .30 in the unlimited MT class. I am still in the breaking in phase but so far it seems to have alot of low end grunt. My track is short and bumpy so I am hoping it will work out great. As long as you put at least a .21 in it I think you should be ok no matter what brand the mill. It all comes down to money and how well of an engine tuner you are I suppose. Let us know how it goes.

Tom

Engine choices CRT

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Thbe OS .30 seems to be the engine of choice in the outlaw truggy class here in the UK.
I've read quite a few comments about the amount of pure grunt it has.

I will probably opt for some high rev brand name .21. If it doesn't work out, well I always have the option of putting it into the buggy. Good engines are never wasted :¬)

That is the truth... always something to put it in. That is what I like about nitro... most of the mills in the buggy/ Truggy class are pretty easy to swap I would imagine. I might try my OS .21 in there just to see how it reacts to the smaller mill. However I would not try to put the .30 into my buggy that would be insaine! I am about 7 tanks into the break in of the .30 so I do not know exactly how well it can do, but so far so good. Good luck with the mill choice!

Tom

Just for reference. I broke in the new engine for my XB8 in my CRT this past weekend. JP B5N stocker. Even this little mill is more then enough for the truck. I think pretty much any novarosi based 5 port is going to rip in the truck. You'll have more top end, less parts wear, and way better millage.

If you want all out balls to the wall power, I would probably look at the nova rosi 528 or the RB 928. Those mills are way to much motor from what I hear. Most of the American driveres that are useing them are able to use a 14t clutchbell just to tame down the bottom and gain a little top to compete with the .21's.

I've also done some driveing with a RB C5BB and it too was just way to much motor. I was much more consistent and overall faster with my little s5.

I'll be running an s5 in the truck for club racing this year since I have two on hand that still run. I'm more then likely going to invest in the Picco .28 P3 to use on points race nights and at bigger events. Rumor has it that it gets almost as good of millage as the .21's and is very smooth.

I gave up on the Jammin clutches after the first weekend of trying them. I've been useing mugen aluminium's jsut because the xray and mugen clutch stuff is very similar. However I think I'm going to switch all of my motors over to kyosho black carbon's. They just last much longer then anything else. And if maintained properly have just as much if not more punch then the aluminiums.

Brandon

Hey Brandon,

That is some pretty interesting stuff you have in there about the clutches. I am still in the dark for much of that stuff still. I am not so sure I even know what to look for as far as performace..... wether or not the clutch is acting as it should anyway. I have been reading as much as I can about them. So far the clutch shoes that came with the CRT seem very slow to engage... that is my opinion anyway. Thanks for the info.

Tom

Brandon,
You seen one of the Jammin crt rtr? Do they handle as good as the pro. What upgrades would you say the rtr would need right off the bat. I'm looking at one for a second class to run at some local races. I'm the wrench for my son on the 1/8 scale so this would be somthing i would run sometimes. Thanks for the info and we hope to see ya in a couple of weeks for your race.

noise. If you guys go there let me know, I'm really going to try and go if heather dont go maybe we can all car pull down there or something.

I have another question for you guys. This isnt just for a truggy I'm thinking about it even for my jammin x1cr, Hear any good things or bad things about the RB concepts C-5BB? thanks

Tom, if you don't ream out the hole that the flywheel pin goes through in the clutch shoes, they will end up binding on the pins.

noisemaker, I'm not very familiar with the specs of the RTR. I would imagine it would be a very solid player right out of the box. I would think the first things that would be a must would be servo's and the chassis braces.

Mike, one of the guys down here drove it in his sp2 for alot of the season last year. I've also driven his motor in my crt for one heat. The thing lasted forever. But I hate the power band. The motor is unreal.

Brian,
I went to the action website to find some info out about the april 1 race. I didnt find much maybe you can help me out. 1st question is this actually a free event? 2nd I see the races start at 2pm is friday a practice day or is this just like more of a regular race weekend come early saturday practice then race? and last but not least should i plan on getting a hotel? do you think it will be real late before getting done? thanks for the info

Mike Elam

Mike, The race is actually free. No entry fees at all. And during the driveres metting the races get to vote on the format of the race. Just come early saturday. The races start at 2pm! I can't recall what time we finished last year, but I do know that the Hawthorne's always take the out of towners into consideration. You might try to get in touch with Dan kennedy and see what he did last year. I don't honestly know on the hotel.

You are more then welcome to call me on my cell phone if you have anymore questions. 405-317-2337.

Brandon

cool thanks for the reply, i am going to try to make it I have a broken foot and have been off of work for over a month now so it will all depend if i can get back to work fairly soon..LOL Hope to see you there

Mike

You too mike. If the need be, I'll corner for you!

well i wont be able to make it to the race this weekend after all. bad luck keeps hitting my graduation class. i graduated highschool in 1997 and since then we have already had 5 accidental deaths. I have another funeral to go to this weekend:( I will see you in the future however cause i for sure plan on making it there sometime this summer to race. good luck this weekend

Thank you sir. Sorry to hear about your lose.

I graduated in 99' and can't count all of the individuals that have passed since.

Look forward to meeting you in the future.

I will have an update of my truck up very soon. it's changed some from last time I posted.

cool I look forward to seeing it. It will be a bit before I get a truggy I'm still kind of waiting to make sure there will be a weekly class of them before I do it. Ran my 1/8th and my wife's 1/8th just this last week to make sure everything was good, and it was so hopefully the season starts out with some good luck and not bad..LOL

Hi guys, there is a wealth of info on the jammin crt here!! Good reading. Before I ran accross this thread, I planned to get the RTR version of this truck. I think I still will, and upgrade the servo's. I have the same question as some of you guys...what mill do I use? It comes with a force .28, and I plan to sell it to finance a new engine, I don't race or anything like that, but I like nice engines. One of the reasons I am buying this is because I can use a starterbox, something that is hard to do with a savage etc. the best engine I have ever owned is the CMB Raptor .21, fast and FUN!! I might go with a mac .21....it is CMB based but has a few differences. I can get one for a decent price and if the performance is about the same as the Raptors I will be very happy. I suppose the next upgrade after the mill and servo is braces...any advice on what to get and where. For me the tires on the rtr will be ok and everything else looks pretty stout, you guys have any problem breaking the stinger off of you pipe..I read on truggyracers that it was a comman problem, thanks for a very informative thread!!

I also can get Sirio's at a decent price up here in Canada. What do you think of the .27 pro version...11 port or the Sirio .30.. I don't know much about either engine and wonder how it compares to the mac .21 in power and performance, the 11 port should have high rpm, and great top end...anybody use these engines in the past?

I use only nova rosi based engines. The Nova Rosi P5, and the RB S5 would both be plenty fast and last you for quite some time.

For a pipe you should look into getting a jammin JP1 or JP2 in the hardcoated version. Best pipe for the money in my opinion. Much stronger then the normal ofna pipes.

I have no expirence with any of the sirio or CMB motors.

Hope this helps.

Back