It has arrived! SCX24 Deadbolt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats awesome about the filament.. So glad to hear and see quality made products. Produced in the USA!!!!!!🇺🇸👍👍👍👍

Is the filiment more expensive and just worth the extra cost or is it just better for roughly the same money? Glad it works better in either case.

Is the filiment more expensive and just worth the extra cost or is it just better for roughly the same money? Glad it works better in either case.
My current ZLYTech brand filament costs $20/roll, +/- a buck or two depending on color. This new VO3D brand filament is $30/roll across the board. If I buy 5 rolls at a time of the VO3D, which I normally do anyway, it is $25/roll. It seems like a fairly big difference, but the print quality on a bone stock printer is good enough to warrant the extra cost.

Top layers like the flat surface on top of the base where the 3 pockets are typically have a slight textured feel to them from the toolpath the machine takes, and the bottom of the print where it sits on the glass bed feels as smooth as glass. With this VO3D filament the top layer is smooth almost like the bottom. That's pretty astounding. I have never had a filament do this good on top layers.

Also, the little pockets in the bottom of the stand where the magnets go have a ceiling in them, creating a gap that the extruded plastic has to "bridge" when the printer reaches that layer, because there is no filament under that layer. So basically the printer has to extrude filament into thin air across that gap, unless you use supports which put some filament in those voids from the very beginning. This stuff is the best I have seen at bridging those gaps.

My current ZLYTech brand filament costs $20/roll, +/- a buck or two depending on color. This new VO3D brand filament is $30/roll across the board. If I buy 5 rolls at a time of the VO3D, which I normally do anyway, it is $25/roll. It seems like a fairly big difference, but the print quality on a bone stock printer is good enough to warrant the extra cost.

Top layers like the flat surface on top of the base where the 3 pockets are typically have a slight textured feel to them from the toolpath the machine takes, and the bottom of the print where it sits on the glass bed feels as smooth as glass. With this VO3D filament the top layer is smooth almost like the bottom. That's pretty astounding. I have never had a filament do this good on top layers.

Also, the little pockets in the bottom of the stand where the magnets go have a ceiling in them, creating a gap that the extruded plastic has to "bridge" when the printer reaches that layer, because there is no filament under that layer. So basically the printer has to extrude filament into thin air across that gap, unless you use supports which put some filament in those voids from the very beginning. This stuff is the best I have seen at bridging those gaps.
Good to know. I'm sure this info will come in handy one of these days ;)

That sounds like a very good filament that you got to test run and review.. sounds very clean and durable product..and for you to be very happy with the product as you seem to print anything and everything 🤣🤣 can't wait to give it a run and try it out...oh yeah I can't wait to get the printer either🤣🤣 Is that filament on the market yet or still in trial stage?? Or test tages?? Or are they already putting it out there to the public cumsumer for use??

That sounds like a very good filament that you got to test run and review.. sounds very clean and durable product..and for you to be very happy with the product as you seem to print anything and everything 🤣🤣 can't wait to give it a run and try it out...oh yeah I can't wait to get the printer either🤣🤣 Is that filament on the market yet or still in trial stage?? Or test tages?? Or are they already putting it out there to the public cumsumer for use??
They just started selling it not too long ago. https://vo3d.us/pla-3d-printer-filament/

A few things that make a difference...

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Extended-Wheel-Upgrades-Crawler/dp/B08PSVP38R

https://store.rc4wd.com/10-Tires_c_599.html

^^Their steel wheels are spendy and somewhat tedious to assemble, but game changers!

https://www.amazon.com/Treal-Axial-SCX24-Steering-Knuckles/dp/B08GH9YJ2X

Just for the front-
https://www.amazon.com/Treal-Axial-SCX24-90081-Brass/dp/B08B419W7C

Treal wheels are gorgeous, but don't always hold onto the beadlock.
I haven't found a shock worth mounting yet. I just invert the factory shocks and remove the front springs.

And when you're ready to go full potato, go furitek. Their esc's are life changing.

Not that I've personally put $350 into an scx24 or anything.... 🤥
I was watching a vid and saw that you can use different links on the front to extend the wheelbase on the SCX24. Looking at your vid of the Taco truck, yours looks longer. Have you done this mod? Is it worth messing with on the Deadbolt?

I was watching a vid and saw that you can use different links on the front to extend the wheelbase on the SCX24. Looking at your vid of the Taco truck, yours looks longer. Have you done this mod? Is it worth messing with on the Deadbolt?
Yes and yes - after bending some links for high clearance on my first scx24, I didn't like how much shorter they got. This made me start with longer links all the way around on the Taco. I just kinda played around with different lengths and bend amount until I liked it.

So my kid took the Deadbolt out today with his friend driving the C10. We tried to get a video but it stopped recording 🤬

Anyway, the hill that the Deadbolt wouldn't climb stock was like child's play after only adding the wheel weights and the Mudslingers. It made a huge difference.

If you guys have one if these 24's with an upgraded servo, what are you running. I see the Emax one is popular, and I think I actually have a couple somewhere. Are there any other options?

These little purple jobbers have been great, and they're dirt cheap.
20210822_173101.jpg
20210822_173024.jpg

But I suspect I'll end up with a few reefs micro 99's soon

Just so you know, they make 3d pens. I'm thinking of getting a doodler. Basically a hand held 3d printer you can use to touch up or scratch create.

Hows the scx24 holding up? I gutted a 1/18 hummer a few years ago and boxed it up. May look at an rc conversion.

Just so you know, they make 3d pens. I'm thinking of getting a doodler. Basically a hand held 3d printer you can use to touch up or scratch create.

Hows the scx24 holding up?
The 3d pens are fun. Great for repairing prints that have goofed up.

So far, nothing has given up on the 24's. The kid my son plays with is a bit hyper at times and I was expecting one of the trucks to come back broken, but I let them take them outside to the dirt mountains and they both survived.

The only thing that happened was a couple Mudslingers popped out of the beads on the Deadbolt because I am waiting to get some beadlock wheels on it. But my son said the Deadbolt is a beast with just the wheel weights and tires. Before it would just sit in one spot and bury itself in the loose dirt/sand. He said it went straight to the top.
20210720_140516.jpg
20210720_140509.jpg

If you're gonna use cheap Chinesium servos then do yourself a favor and buy the Racestar version instead of the TowerPro (purple) version. The Racestars are basically the same price but they are slightly better quality.

https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...4091106201603G&rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA
I don't have the purple ones. Mine are more like those, same model number, but not the same brand.

Last edited:
@Doom! inspired me to get back to work on my driver. This is head #3. Kept shrinking the print down til it finally looked right. Painted his body up as well.
20210831_170233.jpg

20210831_170242.jpg

Also printed up some fender flares and trimmed the opening to match. I ran out of black filament so I printed them in gray and will just dye them black with Rit dye.
20210831_170527.jpg

20210831_170532.jpg

With the cage on, Deadpool wanted a selfie
20210831_171335.jpg

20210831_171406.jpg