Is WD40 bad for plastic in RC cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmu3rd

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have read many tips and watched many videos of people cleaning and lubricating their RC's with WD40. I have also read that WD 40 can be damaging to some plastics. I have also experienced lubricating pull switches with WD40 causing the plastic to become brittle. What experieces does everyone have? Should I be cautious?

The composites and polymers most often used in better-quality vehicles are oil resistant to begin with. And WD40 is not the worst enemy of plastics, like some other solvents. The ABS plastic you find on Tamiyas is more sensitive to solvents.

I use WD40 on steel parts and bearings to protect against rust. Sometimes there’s overspray on A arms and such, I brush them and have only found that they look shiny and new after that. No brittling as far as I can tell.

I've been using WD-40 for many years and it actually rejuvenates plastic making it look brand new and improves flexibility. Only down side to WD-40 is that it tends to attract dust which may be the main reason folks discourage using it.

As of late, I use WD40 Dry Lube to spray a light coat on all metal parts for optimal protection. I spray my car with Simple Green when degreasing caked on mud and grime before blasting with an air compressor. Instead of spraying WD40 on the plastics, I use furniture polish instead which has the same rejuvenation effect as WD40 but doesn't leave a greasy film so it doesn't attract any dust after it dries ;)

I use the cheapest polish I can find

https://www.amazon.com/Favor-Aerosol-9-7-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00AR8OK38/

1689860021012.png

I always felt like wd40 did nothing but good things to the plastic on my rc cars and my dirtbikes/motorcycles. But i’m no scientist.
It does tend to attract a bit of dust if not thoroughly buffed tho

I've been using WD-40 for many years and it actually rejuvenates plastic making it look brand new and improves flexibility. Only down side to WD-40 is that it tends to attract dust which may be the main reason folks discourage using it.

As of late, I use WD40 Dry Lube to spray a light coat on all metal parts for optimal protection. I spray my car with Simple Green when degreasing caked on mud and grime before blasting with an air compressor. Instead of spraying WD40 on the plastics, I use furniture polish instead which has the same rejuvenation effect as WD40 but doesn't leave a greasy film so it doesn't attract any dust after it dries ;)

I use the cheapest polish I can find

https://www.amazon.com/Favor-Aerosol-9-7-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00AR8OK38/

View attachment 169082
X2! Lemon Pledge forever! Been using it on motorcycles and helmet visors for years. Works great for RC too.

Another product that is absolutely amazing is Boeshield T9 spray. Used to use it when winterizing wave runners back in my Yamaha dealership days. Goes on wet like WD but drys out and leaves a film that protects metal from rusting. It’s not cheap but a single can will last for a long time.

I use WD-40 on a lot of moving parts; be sure to not get any on the slipper clutch. Remember, though: WD-40 is a Water Displacement formula

I lubricate bearings and such with pb blaster silicone spray. I use WD40 to clean the plastics. It’s a great cleaner. Only thing I’ve found to get oil out of unsealed concrete. You’ve got to be quick about it but, I’ll scrub it clean if you are.

Anyways, it does a good job of double duty when I run out of the on blaster too. It does attract dust. But, I spray my cars with water first when I clean them. Then lubricate the bearings. Then wipe down with WD40 last. It definitely makes spraying them off easier regardless of holding more dust. Mud won’t stick like it will on dry plastics.

I use SuperSlickStuff from Lowes, actually I think it is cheaper than WD40, but it doesn't harm plastic, and it dries slick and doesn't attract dirt like the WD40. I spray the whole thing down after cleanup, and it makes it relatively easy to air the dirt off. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Protexall-Products-11-oz-Metal-Cleaning-Lubricant/3456064

If I have a considerably difficult track mud that just wont blow off, I use Goof Off, another cheap Lowes product and doesn't harm plastic either, spray it on, let it sit a minute or two while I'm cleaning the tires, and then blow it off with compressed air.