Teton differentials keep stripping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Why are my differentials failing so fast?

• Messed up reassembly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wrong grease

• Setup is wrong

• Bad construction

• Wrong gearing

• Just a fact of life with brushless motor

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffgold

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a Latrax Teton, upgraded to brushless and worked great for quite awhile after the upgrade, but eventually stripped out one of the 2 stock differentials, which are plastic. I replaced both with OEM 7579X the metal replacement, which as far as I can tell is the only replacement part available. I used white lithium grease to lubricate, cleaned and lubricated the bearings, and replaced the spur gear at the same time (54T). I reused the same plastic collars for the driveshafts, also the only option I could see (driveshafts are upgraded to aluminum, too, as is suspension, though I don’t think that matters for this).

I drove it for only around 20-30 minutes and both differentials stripped out again! Drove pretty hard on mixed terrain, concrete, dirt and grass, but not really different than I usually drive it.

On disassembly, the teeth on the long output shaft were worn on both differentials.

Trying to figure out if I did something wrong during the replacement and fell into a known pitfall, or if it is something with my setup (like one of the wheels is too tight or something), or if this is just a fact of life with the brushless motor. I’m essentially winging all my work on the thing, not really reading instructions or watching videos, just trying to make sure I don’t have too many parts left over when I put it back together Lol

It seems like maybe there was too much play in the housing so the gears could slip. Did I miss a spacer or a bushing? I just put the stock bearing back on the differential before seating it in the house. Do I need to upgrade the diff housing (actually I just ordered new diff housing because why not).

Looks like not a ton of action on the forums for this model, but thought it would be worth an ask anyway. Appreciate input!

Hey thanks for your reply.

I saw the pinned thread on diff oils, and that definitely had me thinking. I’ll look through the videos you linked tonight, though I had searched for this specific diff before posting and didn’t find much. Definitely curious about shimming, will look at that.

I‘m 90% sure this specific differential was not designed to be encased in oil… the case is basically a base and a cover with no seals between…it would leak out everywhere, and there has never been any signs of that. When I opened it for the initial replacement, it was totally dry in there.

The instructions did mention a specific Traxxas grease that I didn’t have, so I used white lithium instead… wondering if that was my mistake.

Will keep looking, but if anyone has worked on this specific differential and had input I’d appreciate it.

Back