is nitro really going away

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchobbiest

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been out of the hobby for some time now and i just back in to it with my savage 4.6. But i have been reading how nitro is not going to be around much longer. I hope this is not true i love nitros tuning fixing all of it i hope the companies will remember the ones who like nitro over electric and continue to make them and improve them. Just hope it never goes away.

I really hope not. I just got back into the sport. And i love nitro.

Yep nitro is going away for sure. The world is also coming to an end next friday so it doesn't really matter much anyway.

I have been out of the hobby for some time now and i just back in to it with my savage 4.6. But i have been reading how nitro is not going to be around much longer. I hope this is not true i love nitros tuning fixing all of it i hope the companies will remember the ones who like nitro over electric and continue to make them and improve them. Just hope it never goes away.

Don't believe everything you read. I'm 57 right now and I'm real sure that nitro's will still be going when I kick! A lot of people will go to electrics because they don't want to (or don't know how to) run nitro's but there are enough motor-heads in the world that we will keep them going. Burning combustible fuel is what it's all about. It's a real car with a real engine. You have to be a mechanic to make it work. And that is why we do it. The 1/10 and 1/8 nitro road racers are never going to give up their nitro's because it is real live road racing with a real car. There is a place for electric cars if that's what they want to do but it will never get to the point where nitro's are completely gone. Anyone who thinks that can just go look up the Novarossi company and see what they are doing.

Yah I to was out of the hobby for some time. After returning from a several year break, I have found electric has almost taken over. I think Nitro will survive this though, or at least I hope. I tried the electric thing with brushless and Lipo packs and all that crap. It just is not the same. I don't care if electric out performs the nitro or not you just can't replace the feeling the nitro gives ya. I have always been a gear head love anything with an engine. If nitro does not survive I think the hobby will be over for me. But I think there are enough nitro guys left out there though to keep it alive. What makes me angry is if you go into my fairly local hobby shop, the guys there try and talk people out of purchasing nitro, they seem to push the electric trucks onto people. I went in looking at a new XL HPI savage 5.9 truck once, the kid that works there was like nitro is on the way out. I told him ok what would you recommend. He tried talking me into a SC10 trophy truck. they had one there on counter so we took it outside for I guess a sorta test drive. Needless to say I was not impressed and told him that. I don't even go there any more unless I need fuel, because I always get into an arguement about nitro and electric. I think electric is great if your not any way shape or form mechan inclined. For now I will keep on thrashin and bashin my nitro's.

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

I think electric is great if your not any way shape or form mechan inclined..

Your way of thinking is idiotic. Ove wrenched on more full sized rigs, and done extensive modifications to over 30 1:1 offroad rigs in the past year alone, yet I feel electric is 10x better than nitro in power, speed, torque, and all around strength. You don't think so? I'll race anything you got with my 2wd electric MT on any terrain.

Your way of thinking is idiotic. Ove wrenched on more full sized rigs, and done extensive modifications to over 30 1:1 offroad rigs in the past year alone, yet I feel electric is 10x better than nitro in power, speed, torque, and all around strength. You don't think so? I'll race anything you got with my 2wd electric MT on any terrain.

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone got fired up on this subject. You are correct that you still have to be a mechanic and know what you're doing to make electrics work.

It's not the subject that is aggravating. It's the fact that thinks cuz he can turn two screws to tune a hsn and lsn gives him superior mechanic abilities over people who think that electric is better. It's a personal opinion as to which is superior.

E over N

I love running my hpi 106364 Savage X 4.6 Big Block nitro.
But there really isn't any comparison to my new Align TRex 700 E DFC HV 3GX 3.0 Super Combo kit.
Just watch a few TRex 700 E DFC vids on youtube if you aren't yet familiar.

It's actually quite amazing how powerful a battery operated model can be.
Ah, but that doesn't mean I'd ever buy a Traxxas XO-1, just for sheer speed.
I enjoy the sounds, smell and performance of my Savage X nitro just fine.

I think there will always be a place for both, as long as they both continue to sell well.
One drawback: Compared to a few jugs of nitro methane fuel, several powerful batteries and an adequate charger are rediculously expensive.

Chas

Like Alpine, I have wrenched on may different 1:1 vehicles including a couple of nitro-methane powered beasts as well as my own RC fleet which includes Nitro, Electric and Gas.

Nitro is not as large as it once was because batteries and electronics have gotten a whole lot better.

My preference for running is Electric, Gas and then Nitro.

My only real beef with nitro is the cost of fuel and the mess from the oil in the fuel.

Nitro isn't going anywhere, but the advancement of nitro has come to a screeching halt. That's how business works, when a new thing comes around you have to jump on board or get left behind.

I'm not saying that electrics are a fad though, they've been around for years. I have a 2 electrics and 4 nitros, my erbe makes almost twice as much power as the XXL. It's kind of an exhibition vehicle for me though, since I only have two 3s batteries and I get bored with it after 15 minutes anyway.

For me and many others, nitro will never die!

Take a deep breath and calm down Alpine I did not meen to ruffle your feathers bud. I simply just do not like the electric trucks. Do not care if your electric trucks faster, I JUST DONT LIKE ELECTRIC RC'S. Everyone likes something different its okay. I don't think electric are a bad choice. As long asd you enjoy the hobby

For me running my electrics is a break from the norm since I have a fleet of 9 where 6 are nitro, 1 is gas and the other 2 are electric. It's nice to just throw in a battery and go. No temp gauge, no fuel bottle and not that much cleanup afterwards. However I just love the challenge of keeping the nitro going and the smell of that fuel.

Where is it going? you can still buy them and run your own.

I don't see nitro going anywhere anytime soon. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet the Revo and T-Maxx are still selling just fine for Traxxas as are other nitro models for other companies. I have no inside knowledge but that's just a guess.

Look how long electric stuck around even after nitro came about. Electric has in the past always had issues with run times (batteries sucked) typically slower. Granted with new battery technologies such as LiPo and brushless motors this certainly isn't the case anymore.

If anything I could see the move from a nitro based engine to a 2stroke gas engine, similar to what we're going to see with the Savage Octane. You'll have the noise nitro guys like, the awesome run times, and likely speed too, but the biggest win likely will be the much easier tuning which is a turn off for many people. Then again I don't see that happening tomorrow, probably not for a few more years I'd say.

Whatever the future holds it's looking very interesting for R/C right now and I certainly can't wait to see what happens.

Nitro wont ever die....it may dwindle at some point but the realism of it at the very least will keep it from dying. toooo many people including myself love the realism of nitro. Granted i love electrics too and I have both in my fleet. Electrics have more power and require less maintenance but require just as much knowledge and know how as the nitros do its just 2 different sets of knowledge you need. I dont find one to be superior than the other rather I find them both to have their own merits.

I have both electric and nitro, but I enjoy running my nitros so much more. However with certain types of vehicles, i.e. crawlers and scalers, nitro would be rediculous, the only way to go with those imo is electric. I will continue to run my nitros as long as I can get fuel and parts for them.

I own both as well and they both have their moments. The smells and sounds during a great bash session leaves a big grin on my face everytime. That said, the 5am electric bashings right in the front yard is just as awesome as I can beat the snot out of em without any looks from the neighbors or waking up everyone in the neighborhood. The nitros/gas arent going anywhere but at the same time the advancements for electrics have made them more appealing to the masses. Both great but personal preferences eventually take over

Yea the mess factor i dont understand talking about nitro and gas they both are 2 stroke so they both have oil in there fuel. Before i got really into the rc hobby I raced atvs i had a honda 250R and a Yamaha banshee 350 both are 2 stokes and they were really messy there are oil spots on the trailer i used to hull them on. And there would be oil on your gear from the race. 2strokes faded out due to 4 strokes becoming faster and the EPA stepping in with the pollution factor. They need to have there top end rebuild alot if you run them hard. So i dont see the gas factor any better then nitro but bigger fuel tanks like a gallon size lol and we could have longer run times too. I think a nitro engine will out last the gas counter part because they easier to rebuild. I hate gas 2 strokes after my days of racing i own all 4 strokes atvs now. They are just as messy as nitro. And its hard on a 2 stroke to run them in the cold because they dont burn all the oil in the fuel so the engine is not getting fully oiled until it heats up. Snowmobiles have chrome pistons to help with that but they are going 4 stroke to. Nitro all the way for me.

I guess I've been away too long also. Granted one of the reasons I came back to nitro is because of the "noise", and when I had my first T-Maxx it was nothing to run 2-3 tanks in a row monitoring temps. LiPo hadn't hit r/c yet so running for 10-15 min and then waiting for a recharge became a pain.

So as an educational point(requesting to be educated).....without having a half dozen batteries an electric will run longer? I get the torque/ speed thing specially with how "clean" electrical systems are now a days.