Indoor 1/24 Rock Crawler Course

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, once you get the course set up you'll have to drag him away.
Yeah, I am sure. I am just sitting here struggling with how to design the course. I think the start will be in the far right corner by the door. A few climbs up and down around the back towards the corner of the room to where the rockin bridge will be going.

Then a suspension bridge on the left leg. There will also be the corrugated tube in the corner pouring out under the rocking bridge, with a stream running towards the front of the tables. I think there will be a path going off before the rockin bridge to crawl down the little valley the stream takes, kinda straddling the stream and under the bridge.

Still kinda lost though 🤔

Still kinda lost though 🤔

I'm gonna fake it, I have a couple of ideas of things I want to try, but no real plan. When you try to plan it out it gets overwhelming pretty quick. I think I'm going to go with the flow and see what happens.

I'm gonna fake it, I have a couple of ideas of things I want to try, but no real plan. When you try to plan it out it gets overwhelming pretty quick. I think I'm going to go with the flow and see what happens.
That is a good idea. Just sit down with the trucks and stack up foam to crawl over.

Looks great........but, something's missing 🤔

Oh, yeah, those 3 empty slots 😁
Lol. You are correct. It does look a little bare at the moment. But I have a plan for each of those slots 😉

Yeah, I just wish I had my son here. This is her year to have him so I lost a weekend.
Oh man. Sorry bud. He will be so surprised and thrilled when he see them.. and then gets to crawl on the new indoor crawler course.. he will never leave the room shoot I wouldn't leave the room either..the controller holders are a very nice touch..

Looks great........but, something's missing 🤔

Oh, yeah, those 3 empty slots 😁
I noticed as well. Guess some new additions are in order to make it a full house 😉🤣👍👍
As for the lay out of it. You should start with your biggest obstacles. On the table. Then work off of those. So you don't run out of area for them. Are you maken it so that you can change it up from time to time?? You could also expand it with some 4x4 legs and a 1x4 on wall for ledge for MDF board on top. And make it go down the wall further. Over time😉🤔😁

Last edited:
Started on some foam work early this morning. It may be kinda hard to see in the pics, but I laid out where I want the stream to run. The front part of this table will be a short stream course, with (hopefully) little boulders poking up above the water.
20210905_094917.jpg

The water outlet tube will be a few levels higher. But right after the water comes out it will hit a small waterfall.
20210905_095000.jpg

Then the water will trickle down a rocky bed here, taking another short drop over some rocks I am going to cast out of Hydrocal.
20210905_123451.jpg

And here you can see that a soldering station reflow gun has more uses than just working on electronics. I used it to melt the foam to form a texture for the lower portion of the creek bed.
20210905_123459.jpg

Once I get the creek bed done I am coating the bed and surrounding area with Plasti-Dip to seal the water in. Then I will cover it all with sand and stones.

Last edited:
And we're off! This is going to be fun to watch, I am so jealous right now, I really want to work on mine but as long as our temps are in the hundreds it's to freakin hot in the garage. I tried to convince Mrs. Doom That it would look great in the living room, but she wasn't going for it.

You people keep sending me in 20 different directions with all these cool threads.
I wanted a TRX4 Sport kit, I want to build an Xmaxx from the ground up, now I'm leaning towards a couple SCX24s. o_O

@Tunedpipe I know what you mean, I am trying to beef up my scx24's, still want to pick up An Element Exto, itching to start my micro crawler course, been needing to tune up repair my Typhon and Mojave.

I've been so tired and worn out after work. It doesn't seem fair that we get extra daylight in the summer but it's to freakin hot to make the most of it.

You people keep sending me in 20 different directions with all these cool threads.
I wanted a TRX4 Sport kit, I want to build an Xmaxx from the ground up, now I'm leaning towards a couple SCX24s. o_O
and just like the rest of us you sink further and further into the black hole that is our addiction 🤣 🤣 🤣

Just a heads up, if you buy one, you will want more. But the great thing about these vs other small scale rigs, they are actually like the big ones and crawl great right out of the box. With just tires, which are only like $18 for a set, they are quite capable. I mean, they are fun enough to get me off my ass working on something 😉

Started on some foam work early this morning. It may be kinda hard to see in the pics, but I laid out where I want the stream to run. The front part of this table will be a short stream course, with (hopefully) little boulders poking up above the water.
View attachment 132053
The water outlet tube will be a few levels higher. But right after the water comes out it will hit a small waterfall.
View attachment 132054
Then the water will trickle down a rocky bed here, taking another short drop over some rocks I am going to cast out of Hydrocal.
View attachment 132055
And here you can see that a soldering station reflow gun has more uses than just working on electronics. I used it to melt the foam to form a texture for the lower portion of the creek bed.
View attachment 132056

Once I get the creek bed done I am coating the bed and surrounding area with Plasti-Dip to seal the water in. Then I will cover it all with sand and stones.
Natural colored aquarium gravel would look and be scaled perfect as river stones for that project.
And we're off! This is going to be fun to watch, I am so jealous right now, I really want to work on mine but as long as our temps are in the hundreds it's to freakin hot in the garage. I tried to convince Mrs. Doom That it would look great in the living room, but she wasn't going for it.
This just got me to thinking imagining, on how cool it would be, if I build an SCX24 course right over the top of my shower tub. So, every time I'm on the porcelain throne, doing my business, I could also crawl to kill time. How cool would that be?! Of course, every #2 session may take 45min.

Last edited:
Natural colored aquarium gravel would look and be scaled perfect as river stones for that project.

I thought about aquarium gravel. All my aquariums were always natural stone. But I think I am going to send the kiddo out to the dirt piles with a plastic pail. I was looking at the gravel that has washed to the bottom and it looks like it will be perfect, along with the coarse sand on the hills.

I thought about aquarium gravel. All my aquariums were always natural stone. But I think I am going to send the kiddo out to the dirt piles with a plastic pail. I was looking at the gravel that has washed to the bottom and it looks like it will be perfect, along with the coarse sand on the hills.
Nope, you have to find very expensive, exotic imported materials, or you won't be aloud to to hang out with the cool kids, you'll be stuck here with us instead. :p

Nope, you have to find very expensive, exotic imported materials, or you won't be aloud to to hang out with the cool kids, you'll be stuck here with us instead. :p
Haha 🤪

Wait a minute... we are the cool kids!

View attachment 132053
View attachment 132054
View attachment 132055
View attachment 132056

That is awesome man 👍👍 you are going to have a SWEET course.
This is going to be a cool build to follow for sure. The water feature is going to be awesome.. 👍👍

It's way funner and interesting being here with you guys then with the cool kids anyway.. 🤣🤣

Back