I'm about to throw away this truck please HELP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetickduke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've spent 3.5 hours on my xl today and I CANNOT keep it running. I hit the throttle and it dies.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Dont matter if my idle screw is through the roof, flush, or bottomed out.

Same goes for my needles.

Nothing helps

I've read every article and nothing has helped.. Including videos. It's showing everything I have already done and my car still struggles to start and stay running.. ??

I've reset my idle to roughly. 032 or 1mm (factory setting according to HPI site) And my HSN to flush with the ring And my low speed needle is flush. Of COURSE I messed with the mid range needle after reading NOT to mess with it ??but it's flush now too.

This is absolutely freaking insane.. I have no idea what to do besides trash this thing and get a traxxas. I had my traxxas for a while and it was so reliable and I never had to tune anything besides when I first got it.

Someone.

Anyone

Please dear baby Jesus

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE

??‍♂️??

Last edited by a moderator:
first question, how much run time is on the engine? is it new? broken in? few gallons on it?
if possible post a video so we can hear whats going on when it dies.
what engine also?
has the engine sat for a period of time previously? or was it a new install and has been running before?
IF BROKEN IN-
if it is broken in, you can get it to idle? but giving it throttle kills the engine, correct?
(it is easiest to pre-heat the engine, but can be done without.)
if so, factory settings are really rich, and typically will load the engine up with fuel, start with leaning the HSN by about 1/4 turn to start with then fire it up. slowly press the throttle, you might have to "massage it" into going.
do this around in a few circles for a bit to let the engine warm up.
lean the engine 1/8 turn and if you can, start just doing lines back and forth trying to rev it up and get it nice and fully warmed up.

I'll try to post some videos today

It's the factory 5.9 motor

I have no idea about the history of it. It looks pretty well used. The kid I bought it from got it from another guy, so I don't know really.

When I got it, I got it to start and I drove it for a few days. I started tinkering with poop and it's never been the same.

I want to seal up the engine but I'm terrified I'm gonna take everything apart and and it's never gonna go back together, I'm absolutely awful at putting anything back together.

I'll play with it today and if I can't get her turned I think it's time we part ways

Goin through and making sure that everything is tight. This is as far as I could get the HSN out, is there supposed to be an oring on the groove at the top of threads that I see or no?

This thing is driving me absolutely crazy
IMG_20200502_085632476.jpg

A small pinhole in the fuel line can really mess with a dudes attitude, did you replace them first thing?

Yes sir I have replaced them

Well I made a video but it won't let me post it. I have no YouTube so ??‍♂️

Everything I've read NOW I need a new glow plug.

Anyone have an idea which one I need? And where the hell I can get one?

?

Well I made a video but it won't let me post it. I have no YouTube so ??‍♂️

Everything I've read NOW I need a new glow plug.

Anyone have an idea which one I need? And where the hell I can get one?

?

Not sure which one to use ,it has been over 8 years since I bought one ,but more than likely ,you would have
to order from a E-bay store or a hobby place like Horizon ,if you pay attention to this forum ,you would see
the adds pop up at the top of the page on the hobby stores!....:rolleyes:

Besides needing a glow plug ,I thought that you had seen my spot about the 5.9 carb. ,it is prone to leak
at the meter screw area ,it takes 2 O-rings ,an mine needs them ,but I just smear silicone over the whole
screw to seal it!

I see the ads on top of the pages.. There is 300 types and shapes and numbers and so forth ???

I'm getting everything to seal it up. My wife grabbed me some silicone gasket maker, it's the red high temp stuff but says not for use where gasoline makes contact... Soooo imma get some new stuff and grab some thread locker at the same time.

I'm going to hobby town USA tomorrow. One of the guys there used to work for HPI back in the day and he said would get her runnin in top shape and gimme some pointers ?

I see the ads on top of the pages.. There is 300 types and shapes and numbers and so forth ???

I'm getting everything to seal it up. My wife grabbed me some silicone gasket maker, it's the red high temp stuff but says not for use where gasoline makes contact... Soooo imma get some new stuff and grab some thread locker at the same time.

I'm going to hobby town USA tomorrow. One of the guys there used to work for HPI back in the day and he said would get her runnin in top shape and gimme some pointers ?

The Hpi 5.9 is a good engine once that you get to know it an its weak spot ,the composite carbs are a weak spot ,
that aluminum housing that is screwed or pressed on the plastic carb housing is also prone to leak ,it is a very
poor design in my books ,just can't beat a solid aluminum carb.!

This is the carb that I want to put on mine!

I might be picking up a nitro revo for 230 while I'm there. A guy is selling it along with alot of extras. He replaced the 3.3 with a dynamite mach 2 (. 19)

Is there any downfall from this replacement?

I might be picking up a nitro revo for 230 while I'm there. A guy is selling it along with alot of extras. He replaced the 3.3 with a dynamite mach 2 (. 19)

Is there any downfall from this replacement?

I can't speak of those engines ,I had never had them!
But each engine would have its own character ,you just have to find the weak spot in them ,also , dont
trust the manufactures ,sometimes they make mistakes on assembling them ,like not tightening up the head
screws or not putting all the screws in ,these engines rely on a good seal to run good!...:cool:

Ahhhh. I more so just wanted to see if it was a junk motor or not. And I want it to still do 65 lol

The red high temp ultra copper is what you want.
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...aximum-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker/

Oh well that's a bonus then lol

It sounds to me like you need two things - Someone that knows RC to help you troubleshoot and if you can't find that then go brushless. lol

On a real note there is a tuning guide I used way back in the day that helped me wrap my head around nitro, I'll see if I can find it. Make sure everything is sealed up, air leaks are the devil. Make sure your nitro mix is proper % and isn't old and moisture soaked. How old is the motor, is it possible your piston or head is worn causing low compression?

Read/watch as much as you can about nitro rc, get a manual for your motor online and learn how to tear it apart and work on your stuff. Tear your motor down, clean it, check bearings and tolerances, reassemble and seal it while doing so. Clean the dogshit out of your carb, fix any leaks and try, try again. What else do you have to loose if you are close to giving up?

Get you some of THIS for sealing your needles/o-rings, I use it on all my carbs and it works a treat.