If you have spektrum range issues, try one of these.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have never had great luck with the spektrum radios. My first was a DX3.0. Range was awful, 100-150 yards max if I was on a hill. It was old and didn't have enough model memory for me so I picked up a DX3S kind of cheap on ebay and it was worse. I liked the lighter weight of it though, so after modding it to add an additional battery (was told higher voltage would help) and finding it didn't do much, I bought a new DX3C, thinking maybe it was a dud. The 3C had the same issue. I had used the SR3000, SR3100 and SR3300T. All pretty much the same story.

Last week, I was looking into the range issue again after living with it for 4+ years and ran across a thread talking about a cheap knock off receiver that used a coaxial antenna that was supposed to help with the range issues. So, since it was in China, I didn't want to burn a lot of money and I bought just 2 of them.
http://www.targethobby.com/3ch-dsm-2-24g-surface-receiver-for-rc-car-rc-truck-rc-bugg-p-4162193.html

Took 7 days to get here.

Tried it out today and can drive until I cannot see the vehicle well enough to know what it's doing, then it cut out on me. I was near a driving range, or oddly marked off area at my local park that has yardage signs. It was past the 300 yard sign and I was easily 200 yards further away from it.

I had no idea how accustomed I had come to driving close to me all these years. At some point while running, I'd get an uneasy/nagging feeling that I needed to walk or turn around for 2 hours straight of running today and the only time I lost signal is when I started and drove it as described above.

Totally worth the $18 I spent! (I bought 2)

Just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else is fighting with range issues with their Spektrum.

Now I need to order 3 more for the rest of my rigs. Hell, make it 5 just in case. 5 of those is still cheaper than what I paid for 1 of the ones I have off ebay.

This sounds like a good deal. On there site they have good prices on other Spectrum recievers.

I keep reading about people having range issues with Spektrum gear, but I've never had any issues with mine and my LST's rx was glued back together after a crash. I've only had it lose signal once and that was when I was driving near some big power lines. Now that I've said that though I'll have no range when I get home.

Just ran my jato today, it has one of the old receivers in it, not sure which one. The range sure sucks on it too. I ran my revo again today with the new receiver and really, it does cut out, but it's so far away that I can't tell which way my truck is pointing and I can't hear the exhaust if it's running.

I keep reading about people having range issues with Spektrum gear, but I've never had any issues with mine and my LST's rx was glued back together after a crash. I've only had it lose signal once and that was when I was driving near some big power lines. Now that I've said that though I'll have no range when I get home.
Seems to be hit and miss I guess. I used to run Spektrum and liked them until I got into large scale and then my range was horrible. Switched to Futaba and haven't had an issue with any scale. Haven't used Spektrum since.

Back