I thinkI broke something else - HPI SAVAGE X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I went to tighten a back wheel on, I didn't have my wrench to hold the wheel nut so i held the front wheel, and sure enough SOMETHING BROKE. The front left wheels spins free because there's no 4wd attatched to it anymore. This thing is a turd. What do I need, a front diff? ffs I feel like junking this thing

It's hard to tell without pics but this is definitely part of the learning process. Don't get frustrated with it, its part of the game. It's not if it breaks, it's when...
Post some pics..

what would you like me to take a picture of? I'll do my best. it's got several more issues too.

Do something wrong and breaking a part does not make the whole thing a turd. The are hobby grade but that doesn't mean un-breakable. It means you can buy parts and fix what you break. Sounds like you either broke the dog bone(drive axle) to a front wheel or possibly stripped a diff gear. Download the manual and see how it all works .https://www.rcdocuments.com/documents/HPI_Savage_X_Manual.pdf

i take it I have to dismantle it to find out what's wrong. thanks for the manual

yes it be a pile.. I seen a guy put well over a grand in 1 trying to convert it to electric in like 2005 he finally went with a erevo 1 and beat it to death.. pull off front end disassemble it then you know whats broken me uneduacated guess is front main drive shaft gear..LOL

when I cool off I'll get my electric tools to make things easier. should i make a new thread for the other problems

Can likely just post up your issues here and we can try to knock them down for you.

I don't get how you "tightened a wheel nut" without having a wrench though...

Can likely just post up your issues here and we can try to knock them down for you.

I don't get how you "tightened a wheel nut" without having a wrench though...
I used the small 4way wrench to tighten the axle nut, and held an opposing wheel while I tightened the nut. That's when something let go.
My other issues are: it does not stop, and it barely turns. I have tried making adjustment on the braking rod to no avail. I have a new disc just in case. Seems like the servo doesn't move enough for either cases. Truck has a new, updated control.
The tune on this is garbage so it stalls under acceleration. I'm going to try to 'reset' the screws.

When you tighten wheel nuts, you hold the wheel on the axle your tightening the nut on. If the hex on that wheel is stripped, then you have to replace the wheel.

Since it's a savage X and not knowing what servo you have (strength/speed), one of the steering posts has a spring on it. Below that spring is a nut. If you tighten that nut up some, it will stiff up the servo saver and if your servo is strong enough, it should steer better.

This is an older non-X savage, but also has a servo saver you can adjust on the right, near the bottom under the silver spring is a knurled nut that you loosen or tighten to soften up/stiffen steering:
2010-0410-SavageServoSaver.jpg

Brakes could be a few things...
servo shaft or horn could be stripped
servo itself is too weak or damaged internally/electronically
the spring loaded servo horn could be faulty
brake disk is worn down too much
screws holding the brake pads in place could have backed out or stripped not allowing force to be applied to the disk
linkage isn't setup right
your radio doesn't have the EPA setup right not allowing the servo to move far enough.

Many replaced the stock servo horn with a solid horn, then used springs/collars on the brake linkage to do the same job, but more effectively and to be more adjustable. I never used the stock servo horn on any savage I owned, I always replaced it with a solid horn and used springs/sliders/collars on the brake wire.
2019-0614-SavageX-Linkage.jpg

2005-0626-SavageThrottleLinkageBearings.jpg

2008-1030-SavageThrottleLinkage.jpg

so I don't know what this horn is you are referring to, so I made a video.
Also I think part of my steering problem is a lot of interference going on. The steering rods are contacing the inside of the wheels, and the shocks. I was thinking about putting on these different front wheels I have, but it wouldn't be enough since the shocks are interfering.
cow2I1g.jpg

WELlKAk.jpg

jEAuOfN.jpg

dJTfr1o.jpg

I specialize in these trucks. I have lots and have been building them from scratch for years. I can help whatever you need just send me a private message and I'll get you squared away

If your tires are rubbing on anything you may need to set your end point adjustments for the steering servo so that it doesn't hit anything.

I used the small 4way wrench to tighten the axle nut, and held an opposing wheel while I tightened the nut. That's when something let go.
My other issues are: it does not stop, and it barely turns. I have tried making adjustment on the braking rod to no avail. I have a new disc just in case. Seems like the servo doesn't move enough for either cases. Truck has a new, updated control.
The tune on this is garbage so it stalls under acceleration. I'm going to try to 'reset' the screws.
I'm thinking you broke something in the diff or a grub screw needs tightened. remember the wheel hex is what holds the wheel to the axel for rotation.
the only job of the wheel nut is to hold the wheel to the hex. when you tighten the wheel nut, hold the wheel itself that you are currently installing the wheel nut on, or it puts all that unnecessary strain on the diffs and axles.
as far as brakes, could be a few issues, end points could be mis adjusted so the servo can't move far enough, the disk brake pad screws are loose or came loose, so there is not enough movement to give clamping force to the brake pad, could be binding in the servo linkage, or possibly the servo horn is not-centered or maxed out, also a failure i have seen a few times is the brake disk hub itself gets stripped out so the brake disk just spins on it.
as far as the tune, that is something that you have to do to run properly, possibly take a video if you can and we might be able to give you pointers on getting your tune dialed in.

what are these end points you guys are referring to? is that the shaft with the plastic nut? the servo pulls all the way for the throttle, but not brakes. I have messed with that for half an hour one day and nothing helped. I do not see any binding. is it possible the servo is bad? I need to be sure what the issue is.
as far as the steering, again, I am unfamiliar with 'endpoints'. from what I can see it's rubbing on the shock and the wheel.

end points are the simply the end point at which the controller itself will tell the receiver to rotate the servo. that way to not try to over-extend components and possibly causing the servo to fail or physically break parts, these are supposed to be set manually and can be accidentally adjusted in most cases, or even just set wrong from factory if they are set even at all from factory. look at the manual, it should have directions to set the end points.
as far as the brake issue id look at what i mentioned above, the screws to the brake pads that hold them in place. if they are set too loose, the cam in the brake linkage is only so long, and won't have enough travel to put pressure on the pads to give much if any braking force.
if possible take a video of the steering with the wheels on and focus also on what is impacting and or limiting the travel.

hey guys, been busy but I just went ahead and captured a video of the steering. I looked at the manual that I was provided and I there is not even a section for brakes. There is a small dialogue about adjusting the brakes under 'Troubleshooting', but that's it and nothing new so I don't know if endpoints are on there. It's not the adjustment knob, right? I feel like it's more than the disc because of how little the servo moves, so I can see why that endpoint adjustment you guys are referring to would be off.
Here is the video.
and something else that's weird that I noticed. in the first picture, the top left knob adjusts the steering. it is at the middle 0, yet the steering is obviously veered to the left. why is this?

Attachments

• 20210620_172115[1].jpg
    20210620_172115[1].jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210620_172127[1].jpg
    20210620_172127[1].jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 44
Back