I modded my RC into a top fuel dragster

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Almost finished the 1/5 top fuel dragster chassis mod.

7dGxheX.jpg

09Q5J7s.jpg

It runs awesomely smooth with the new front wheels.
I've yet to put the covers and the spoiler on. What do you think?

Last edited:
o_O

lol just messing me you. If you like it thats what counts.

:cry:

You gave me quite a scare there, lol. I sorta like it, I'm trying to know if I'm getting close to that Top Drag look.

What happens when you need to steer? Considering it's all zip tied together, I think you're messing with us. At least I hope so anyway.

No need to jump at my neck. They're zip tied 'till I weld them. need to hold the whole assembly togheter somehow until then.
Since it's a dragster, I won't actually need to steer, because we're racing in a straight line (look up 1:1 Top Fuel races). To match this, I'll need to machine the chassis in such way that it doesn't slide left or right. Also, instead of steering, a servo will be used to release a parachute (like the real deal does) to slow down after darting through the finish line. This is just the alpha phase.

Don't tell me you thought I was gonna race it with all these ties hanging off it.

Last edited:
That's pretty sweet! I like that it's different. Thnx for posting the pics.

Very cool start, I'm curious about the steering though, do the RC drag guys just do away with steering altogether? I thought you would need it for corrections....do you plan to meet up with other drag racing guys? Those guys are hardcore and i love it.

Very cool start, I'm curious about the steering though, do the RC drag guys just do away with steering altogether? I thought you would need it for corrections....do you plan to meet up with other drag racing guys? Those guys are hardcore and i love it.

I don't know honestly, but the 1:1 dragsters have minimal steering, just enough to switch back straight in case the car's got a 2-3 degrees inclination in the wrong way. I might as well add something like a vertical stabilizer.
Hell yeah, I plan to meet up with those guys, if I find them. If I don't I'll just drag race with other types of cars, the speed will be there ;)

No need to jump at my neck. They're zip tied 'till I weld them. need to hold the whole assembly togheter somehow until then.
Since it's a dragster, I won't actually need to steer, because we're racing in a straight line (look up 1:1 Top Fuel races). To match this, I'll need to machine the chassis in such way that it doesn't slide left or right. Also, instead of steering, a servo will be used to release a parachute (like the real deal does) to slow down after darting through the finish line. This is just the alpha phase.

Don't tell me you thought I was gonna race it with all these ties hanging off it.

Not sure how asking a simple question is jumping for your neck as you put it. And yes, I'm very familiar with 1:1 top fuel rails, and have been to the races many times, spent time in the pits, etc. As you already mentioned above, real top fuel rails do steer, and they do need it. They need it not only for corrections during a run, but for making the turn after the shutdown area to head back to the pits. Unless you plan to walk and retrieve your car after every run, you'll need steering as well.

I too have spent a good amount of time IN the pits. Not so much on a top fuel car but have spent time right beside them. There is ZERO question on this... IT NEEDS STEERING!!!
It's got great potential as the pics show... The devil is ALWAYS in the details!

Thanks for the tips! All in all, looks like I'll need to cut in some place for the steering servo in the front once I weld it.
I'm also working on extending the exhaust as well, initially thought of using flexible cooper pipes attached to the end of the tuned pipe. Would it affect performance?

Back