I had an idea, and ran with it!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryson

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well after 2 months of not having a body for my revo 3.3 racer, I got so frigin tired of looking at it just siting there begging to be beat up and trashed around a little. So I had an idea in my head on doing a patriot theme for a while now. So here it is, still in sharpie from, but soon to be masked and spray the base coat. Anything that is clear is going to be blue, anything black is going to be white, and red is red. I can't wait to get this sucker done, I think its going to be really nice, pluse I can't wait to drive my truck for the first time in probally about 5 months. Here are some pics.
CIMG0164.gif

CIMG0165.gif

Bryson

Can't wait to see what the finished product will be :D.

OMG Masking is a B***H! I must have spent 2 hours last night trying to get the side grafix's to resemble what I have in sharpie. And it isnt perfect. Is that liquid mask really hard to use. I'm thinking about going down to the hobby shop tomarrow and geting some to try it. I want this to have sharp edges and and masking tape isnt doing it. Anyway, thanks for all the complements.

Bryson

Have a look at 3m Fine Line tape, its made for getting super crisp lines on auto and marine paint systems. Can pick it up at marine supply places or a good auto parts place that has body work items.

HUH ill check that out tomarrow. Thanks man!

Bryson

Holy cow, the blue I got for this thing is so nice. I didnt really realize it in the store. Last night I just said screw it and continued masking with what I had. It took me a while, but it came out ok. The first coat of blue is shot, I just can't wait to see a final product.

Bryson

OMG And it isnt perfect. Is that liquid mask really hard to use. I want this to have sharp edges and and masking tape isnt doing it.

Go with the fine line masking on the very edges, then standard masking tape for all the rest. At least you can lift it and correct an error. With liquid mask you'll get a very clean line, but remember, whatever you do with the sharpie on the outside you'll have to do with an Xacto knife on the inside. That's not easy. Make a mistake, it's tough to correct.

Well the blue is all done, as I finished, the can ran dry. So then I looked at my red can, and its almost empty, Damnit! So tomarrow mornning ill head to the LHS and pic up another can and finish this sucker up. Some of the edges are rough, but ill clean them up with a little scraping action. It looks really good though.

Bryson

P.S I also ran out of time today, a big ass pit bull got out across the street and I had to watch the drama unfold as the owners came home to a street full of cops. Then the best part, they had to break into there own house with the cops there because they dont have a key. LOL. Oh the beauty of the bario! But they got to keep the nasty pit, so I got a laugh but the fear lives on of the dog geting out again, and attacking my 14 year old golden retriver, that wouldnt hurt a flee. Oh well. Off to work!

Ok everything is done. It turned out way better then I expected. The lines are pretty shap. It was everything I needed to finish off this revo, and now that its done I can just sit back and stare at my work. I really like the it. The only thing I did wrong is while I was cutting the window vent with a drimil I cought an edge with the finger adjustment, and scratched the side a little, no biggy though. Anyway here are some pics. I'm going to pick up some of that fine line masking tape before embarking on my next body though. On with the pics.
CIMG0172.jpg

CIMG0174.jpg

CIMG0175.jpg

CIMG0176.jpg

So there it is. Maby this weekend ill head out to the track for the first time in forever to put some laps on this sucker. My dad was just harasing me the other day saying, we bought you that truck and you never drive it. So time to abuse it a little.

Bryson

Very nicely done. It came out great.
There's no greater satisfaction than painting these clear bodies and then sitting back and admiring our work for hours and hours, week after week for months at a time.
I don't know how NCNitro gets in any sleep time with the admiration his lids require.
Okay, the next step is to take it out and scratch the roof.

That's turned out REALLY nice bro! The blue suspension arms really do the trick with the paint job! I love the star cutout in the windshield! :thumbup: I think that is magazine worthy if you ask me. Try to get a shot like the 2nd pic except less hazy and send it in to a few rc mags. It may take a while but you never know.. one day you might open up your newest issue and BAM... there's your truck! Again, nice work!

Thanks guys. I'm going to work on geting a good clear pic of it really soon. It dosent matter what digital I use, I just can't get a good clear pic. Pisses me off lol, so many good photo opertunites gone to waste. But I'm going to have my dad get a couple good shots with his SLR this weekend. Hopefully the sun will be out soon to britten it up a little. Thanks again.

Bryson

Back