i guess I'm gonna try to learn to fly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klown

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i traded around and came up with a blade 120sr. its the rtf version, came with a few extra parts for when i break it. lol. havent had much time to really try to fly it, but after some trial and error i finnally got it in the air and managed to hover for a few minutes before the battery ran dead. running 1s 550mah hyperion lipos, and the stock eflite 500mah 1s. is there any advice for a novice heli pilot that you guys can bestow? i look forward to many more flights.

Congrats man, the 120 is a great bird, and very durable. My best advice is to take it slow, and not take too big a steps. I got in way over my head my first go round with helis, and just quit for a couple years I got so frustrated. Once you can hover a whole battery without landing tail in, the start learning to hover side in, then finally nose in since it's the hardest. This program helps too

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

ok, i think that i might have just killed my blade... a crash has removed the black motor wire from the circuit board. there is a small dab of a white substance (hard thermal paste I'm assuming) and the wire broke right at the edge of that. any suggestions? is this something that is replaceable at a reasonable price? help, i feel like I'm gonna have a stroke as i just got this thing a few hours ago. lol

ok, i think that i might have just killed my blade... a crash has removed the black motor wire from the circuit board. there is a small dab of a white substance (hard thermal paste I'm assuming) and the wire broke right at the edge of that. any suggestions? is this something that is replaceable at a reasonable price? help, i feel like I'm gonna have a stroke as i just got this thing a few hours ago. lol

Are you totally new to helis? If so, no offense but the SR is a big first step, and it's also IMHO too much for indoors due to it's size among other things.

The white substance is just silicone they use to glue the male plug to the female plug on the circuit board so it won't jar loose from getting knocked around. Just peel the silicone off with a small flat blade screw driver, and you'll see the plugs. If you're lucky, it just came unplugged.

never flown anything before, so yes extremely new to helis. and no, the black wire is broken and not attached to the control unit. i havent removed any silicon to see the board, but it will need resoldered or replaced. i found one here, http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-120-sr-rtf-BLH3100, but i will put my soldering skills to the test and see if i can fix it first.

i think i did pretty well being new to helis from what i have read so far. i had the 120 sr in the air for almost a full battery in a room thats about 16x16... well, untill i crashed. lol

If you're already hovering a full pack, then the heli force is indeed strong with you :D You're doing great man, seriously. If you have good soldering skills, you should be OK. Just be very careful to not overheat the board or touch where you shouldn't, as you don't want to burn anything else, like an FET.

well my soldering job didnt work. the blades dont spin at all. so i guess a new 5 in 1 control board will need to be ordered. does anyone know if the frame on these are big enough to put a esc and stand alone gyro on them? and if so will it be better than the 5 in 1 setup?

after some serious thought into heli, the want/need to fly, and a little craigslist trading later i will be picking up a couple helis today. two blade cp pro's. i know, i know, too advanced a bird for a n00b. but i have thought of that as well and to save my wallet alot of money in broken parts i downloaded CLEARVIEW SE and the helis that i have to learn to fly on there and take that knowledge to the heli. i am hopeing this will lessen the learning curve some and make this a little easier. i will throw up some pics of the birds later for the "oogle factor" lol

You might look into Phoenix Flight Sim. It has a Spektrum radio included that will bind to the helis. It is also close in performance to the Blades and includes free updates over the internet.

been putting some time in on the sim i got and I'm able to keep the coaxial heli in the air for quite awhile. and currently trying to work up a good trade for a coaxial to start on. I've got three helis that are too expierienced for me to fly, so I'm hoping to trade two of them for a good setup. and hopefully be in the air shortly after that. I'm burning youtube up watching 3d vids. heheh

worked up a trade on another site, and will be recieving a couple coaxials soon. a blade cx and a blade mcx tandem rescue. i can definatley say the heli bug has bitten me... lol

The Tandem Rescue is a fun bird to fly. The first coaxial I flew was the CX.

I'm giddy as a school girl, can't wait for the mail to run!!!

Make sure you get some good pictires of any carnage for us and have fun!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

so the copters showed up this morning via usps. i am trying to talk with the guy i traded and see if he can help me with a few questions i have. but i will post them here as well for help. and for the record i have absolutley zero (0) heli expierience.

firstly, the blade cx spins hard to the right when throttle is applied. i have tried to trim it out, but that doesn't work. the first time it actually got off the ground it started spinning hard right and a blade strike now means i need a new set of lower blades. AGH... any ideas on how to stop this?

and secondly, the blade mcx tandem rescue came as a bnf, i bound with a blade tx that came with the 120sr i had. charged the lipo, bound the radio. no rotor spin. the only input that works from the radio is from the right stick, moving left and right. the 5-n-1 is arming, the red light stays on. am i doing something wrong here?

i appreciate any help that is given. i have been bitten by the heli bug and must learn to fly at this point. and with three helis in the rc room( blade cx, mcx tandem rescue, and cp pro) there isnt any reason i shouldnt be able to learn. lol. thanks a bunch guys.

i figured out the issue with the tandem. the radio wasn't trimmed properly. lol. now i just need to learn to fly. lol.

but if anyone has any ideas on the cx please post them up.

It's natural for the heli to want to rotate opposite of the rotor direction, but if you can't adjust it to neutral with the trim you'll need to make a mechanical adjustment to the tail rotor. If you don't have a mechanical adjustment, such as a tail MOTOR, you'll need to adjust the + or- gyro gain to a point that your trim works both ways.

the cx is a coaxial heli, so no tail rotor. i understand that the canopy wants to turn with the rotors, but i figured with counter rotating blades that wouldnt be an issue. after i get some new blades for the cx i will do some adjusting on the gyro and see if that helps.

any other helpfull tips/tricks for a new heli pilot rolex? I'm sure in all the time you spend waxing the surface based rigs you learned something about flying, seeing as you are in a constant "low hover somewhere over knoxville" lol.

Ah, of course. Coaxial rotors, no tail. If you got it used, there might be a problem. Check the gear mesh and make sure both blades turn with little resistance. A bit of lube might be needed. 3 in 1 is what I use.