HSP Pangolin - $90 1:10 Crawler kit build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm primarily a fan of nitros, particularly HSP's models, and regularly buy replacement parts from aliexpress, which is why I noticed their 1:10 crawler being sold as a roller kit for $90. I had extra servos, a brushed 35T motor & ESC, generic truck body, and basic receiver / transmitter leftover & upgraded out from other builds, so I went ahead and picked one up.

It arrived as several bags of parts. The central gearbox was assembled, so putting the rest together was mostly a matter of assembling the axles & linkages. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the process, but I'm quite happy with the result. I cut out the wheel wells extra wide to accommodate the wheels at maximum suspension travel, and still think it looks pretty good. I'm impressed with the articulation, it can handle nearly 90 degrees of twist between the front and rear axles. It took me a couple hours to assembly mainly because you have to work from the exploded view - no procedure or instructions are included, and you have to request copies of the manual from the seller, which they email to you. If anyone wants, I'll pass those along too.

I've ordered another servo mount & steering link, which is all you need to upgrade it to 4-wheel steering, and modded a servo to run in reverse rotation, so I won't need a servo reverser. (I wish I'd taken pics of that too... a fun little half-hour job swapping the motor wires and desoldering a potentiometer, flipping the circuit board over, and soldering it through the opposite side so that the pins are reversed)

I live in the city so I haven't taken it to any good "courses" yet, but once the weather warms up I'll see how it handles some rocky landscaping.

I know it's basically a Redcat Everest-10, but it was fun putting it together, and cheap.

20230130_163147.jpg

20230130_163127.jpg

20230130_163844.jpg

20230130_164043.jpg

20230130_163856.jpg

Last edited:
Nice truck, I built a similar one (rgt Rock hammer) with those same axles and skid. The plastic lockers in the axles (maybe they are metal now in yours),drive line pins and maybe a driveshaft are the things I’ve broken. I have other rigs I run now but it was the first crawler I owned and now I’d have to go to the garage and count them up...they out number my bashers...
Good luck with it!
Jim

Nice truck, I built a similar one (rgt Rock hammer) with those same axles and skid. The plastic lockers in the axles (maybe they are metal now in yours),drive line pins and maybe a driveshaft are the things I’ve broken. I have other rigs I run now but it was the first crawler I owned and now I’d have to go to the garage and count them up...they out number my bashers...
Good luck with it!
Jim

Thanks! Still plastic centers in mine.

I was looking at the metal lockers and aluminum axles, but priced it out to about $90 to replace all the main plastic components with metal, which I'm not opposed to, but I just built it so I'll run it and let breakage determine what gets upgraded first.

The symmetry of the axle cases has me wondering about the potential for a cheap 6x6 build...

Thanks! Still plastic centers in mine.

I was looking at the metal lockers and aluminum axles, but priced it out to about $90 to replace all the main plastic components with metal, which I'm not opposed to, but I just built it so I'll run it and let breakage determine what gets upgraded first.

The symmetry of the axle cases has me wondering about the potential for a cheap 6x6 build...
I still run the plastic housings but replaced an internal axle once and might have broke a front cvd. The little pins fall out... The axle end twisting in the plastic locker is their downfall. If they do that then maybe consider the metal ones. They can be cross referenced on the Chinese websites to save a few bucks. Most of the stuff that might break is readily available on the redcat website though.