HPI MT RS4 questions.... should i buy used for $50.00

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, sry i dont know where to put this thread, but a neighbor seen me playing with my savage and told me he has one of "those things" so he said he would sell it to me, i went took a look, it is old has a .15 engine it runs has a broken control arm. Has a Dodge Ram Body, I think its an RS4.

Box says HPI Nitro MT RTR, and one side said MT RS4. so i figured i would ask if its worth buying used for $50.00, it does run, but it doesn't have rechargeable battery packs for the rx. so i would have to spend money there and the control arm. I dont know if this is something i would enjoy considering i have a savage that isnt fast enough for me, but my motor is old so could be that.

Also it seems like a very old model i dont know if i should waste my time due to parts availability.

Thanks!

I had one. It's cool, but you'd be better off seeking out the new MT2. The front bumper isn't very good, arms are brittle, spur gear is brittle and breaks very easily.

I had one. Upgraded it a bit and put in an OS18CV-R, which made it much more fun, but also more easy to break due to higher speeds. I only had it for about 6 months I think. Wanted a MT2 just for fun. Should have found a MT2 instead.

nmt-6.jpg
the motor looks exactly like this.

I think it is one of these\/
http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/nitromt/nitromt-m.htm

Is it worth doing? could i convert it to a car because i guess there are car RS4's. What can i do with this that would make it worth it for me?

i think it would make a decant project as long as its not completly butchered. just expect to shell some extra money for parts and stuff. if your not ready now, just shelf it and wait for the winter time. i wouldnt worry so much about parts. they are all over the place. i bet it would be a cool on-road truck. lower/stiffen the suspension, put 2.2 foam tires on it and let it rip. i would strip it all down, . make sure the motor is good, then go from their. you all ready have a rig to run around with, so it dont matter how long this one takes. I'm always looking for stuff like that. cool little budget projects. i would also see if he'll take less. its old and broken and who knows what condition the motor is in. a bad motor will still start. you can easly do an hpi swap for a larger new motor pretty cheap.. DAMN.. now i want a little nitro to play with

thats what I'm kinda thinking. But i forgot to mention when we fired it up, it was idling high and the rear tires where spinning alittle, but the front tires were not.... so i dont know if the 4x4 drive is broken.... i already have my Savage, it needs a stronger servo for turning and possibly a new motor... i dont have that much money to throw into things, but like you said i could sit it on the shelf, but they guy said it isnt going anywhere so i could let it sit on his shelf too lol, maybe if i play with my truck again and dont go back to him he will drop the price... he said he paid $100 for it and has receipts from our one hobby store for when they fix'ed it so.. idk just yet :)

$50? Not too shabby a deal really. I have 2 MT's and 2 MT2's. They're fun lil buggers. I have em so my friends can bash around with me since there's no way in hell I'm letting them touch my buggy or truggy. They're sturdy enough and easy enough to fix or replace parts that I don't mind if they drive like morons. They're my "here, try it out" cars for people.

They're not bulletproof like the Savvy but definitely a good little truck.

Any idea if the MT2 front bumper and arms will fit it? I know the spur/slipper assembly will with a few extra bits. My two primary issues with the thing were arms and spur gear. Was kind of cool to have a 4wd 1/10 rig to run around though.

Any idea if the MT2 front bumper and arms will fit it? I know the spur/slipper assembly will with a few extra bits. My two primary issues with the thing were arms and spur gear. Was kind of cool to have a 4wd 1/10 rig to run around though.

Well, since I've torn them down to yank the engines for replacement or maintenance where needed the only way I can tell which is which is by looking at the shock towers. The arms & bumpers will fit :)