Hpi 2002 dodge ram body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I bit the bullet and bought a vintage 2002 hpi dodge ram 1500 savage body off flea bay. It was only trimmed and even had the unused decal sheet. No window masking but that's easy enough to do with tape. I'm making a very scale and detailed replica of the wife's 2002 ram 1500 we just bought a couple weeks ago. She's excited to see this done and to have a true replica of her truck. I'm excited to do it for her. We will be mounting it on her trx-4 chassis. I'll take the pics as I get it done and post a pic of the final product next to or on her truck

Some teaser pics
20210629_115600.jpg
20210629_115616.jpg
20210629_115549.jpg

Just got one can of color in the mail. I'm waiting to have everything I need before I tackle this project
20210629_185448.jpg

I've never used the Tamiya brand paint how do you like it compared to pactra?

In my opinion tamiya works great as long as the body is super clean and dry. I've used tamiya pearls and have experienced flaking immediately after painting. I tried to mount my body after using a pearl yellow and all it did was flake. I properly prepped the body any did everything normally and it just flaked. I think it was just the yellow as other pearls I've used from tamiya has been great. Overall the paint lays smooth and looks good when done and it's not generally as Translucent as others I've used in the past

I've heard good things about the duratrax paint. Never used it tho.
Imo duratrax is closer to pactra then tamiya. Tamiya is still good, and I use it most becaise my lhs doesn't stock duratrax. Duratrax black dries flat black. Great for top coats on crawlers.

As for paint issues, proline racing had an issue with the bodies not having paint stick too good. If any interest, I can post a link covering that.

Linking the old school dodge build.

I bit the bullet and bought a vintage 2002 hpi dodge ram 1500 savage body off flea bay. It was only trimmed and even had the unused decal sheet. No window masking but that's easy enough to do with tape. I'm making a very scale and detailed replica of the wife's 2002 ram 1500 we just bought a couple weeks ago. She's excited to see this done and to have a true replica of her truck. I'm excited to do it for her. We will be mounting it on her trx-4 chassis. I'll take the pics as I get it done and post a pic of the final product next to or on her truck
Hey, I’m looking at this same body on eBay but I don’t know what the size is. I hope it’s not longer than 19.5 inches or shorter than 17.5 inches and hopefully it’s close to 6.5-7 inches wide. Do you still have this?

Hey, I’m looking at this same body on eBay but I don’t know what the size is. I hope it’s not longer than 19.5 inches or shorter than 17.5 inches and hopefully it’s close to 6.5-7 inches wide. Do you still have this?
I gave it to my father in law on a clodbuster I built for him for Christmas. I can tell you it's about 7 inches wide and right in the length your needing. You can also find the dimensions by searching for the body on hpiracing.com and other sites.
20230109_195758.jpg

That’s good. Well, the guy on eBay finally got with back with me last night and he said the body was like 18 1/4 inches long so now I have to make up my mind if I want to pay the $55 and the $17 to ship it… he has the thing listed at $75 with that same amount of shipping and I just out of the blue asked him if he would take a lot more reasonable price of $55 for it and he said sure but then again, I didn’t know whether or not this body was painted or even pre-cut, which turns out it’s not. At least one things for certain though, the body mount pinholes haven’t been drilled out, which is a plus.

I suggest if that's the body you really want get it because they don't come up for sale very often.
I really do want that body but not for what the seller’s wanting to charge for it. I don’t know how much you paid for yours two years ago but the listing I found, they want $75 for the body and another $17 just to ship it. I did get the person reduced to $55 but even with the shipping charge, it’s still $75.

The only way I’m going to pay $75 for a body that’s gonna get used on a fast, 50mph+ bashing monster truck is it better be pre-cut, smooth and painted to my liking…lol.

I realize this is a discontinued item but charging a ridiculously high price for an uncut unpainted RC body shell is ludicrous.

Back