How To Get CA Glue Off Tire And Rim?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arawak420

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
wondering how to get this stuff off the rim and tire. i had a bad wooble in one pull the rim and tire off and it was hand full of dirt/sand and my duct tape radial was peeled off.

I use my dremel tool with a wire brush to get rid of CA.

I boiled for about 10 minutes, works wonderfully.

TMaxximum said:
I boiled for about 10 minutes, works wonderfully.

that's interesting. I've never understood why this method seems to always come up because I've never been able to get it to work. I've boiled for probably close to 20 minutes and still nothin. maybe the type of CA that was used makes a difference?

Ya still have to peel it off the wheel, but its extremely easy to just pull it off the rim after I boil them. Acetone works wonders too.

i was messing around and sprayed som Carb cleaner on mine and it broke the glue down real quick, took all 4 tires off like this, cleaned them and reglued and still holding up.

I baked mine in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10-13 minutes. The tires peeled right off nice and clean.

I have used some CA un-cure that my LHS carries and it worked great! might want to try that.

Boiling worked perfectly for me. I used like a 1 1/2 foot tall pot (or kettle or whaterver they are called) filled it half full of water, threw the tires in and then got a smaller lid (that fit inside the pot) to hold the wheels down into the water.

I had to boil for two hours, but just after the two hour mark, they peeled off the rims easily and perfectly. Absolutely no rubber got left behind on the wheels. Be careful though, as boiling water gets into the foam inserts, and sprays when you are squeezing the tires off of the rims, even if you try to cool the tires down first with tap water.

you could do like rbmaxxbasher did.. ball pene hammer to rims.. didnt rip the tires though!!!

If the tire is off the rim I also use my dremel. A wire wheel for the rims and the round wheel with the sandpaper on it for the tires. If you want to unglue tires, bake them in the oven. Pre heat to 400. Once the oven gets up to 400 put tires in and set a timer for 20 minutes. After 5 minutes turn the oven off and leave the tires in until the 20 minutes id up. Remove from ove let cool or I use tongs and tires come off very easy and it doesn't hurt the wheels at all. This is for Maxx/Savage size tires. If you do smaller tires 20 minutes can melt the wheels but won't hurt the tires. Don't ask how I know about the small wheels melting just trust me.

if you dont want the wheels i gues syou could just melt them out.. plorry stink though

beason said:
if you dont want the wheels i gues syou could just melt them out.. plorry stink though

It won't melt the wheels unless you leave it to long. And yes the smell is bad LOL

1. Get a 1/2 pint of Goo Gone and mix with a half-gallon of whole milk. (Stay with me...)

2. Coat the wheels and tires in the Goo Gone/milk mixture and put in a large plastic bag. Using lots of tape, seal the plastic bag and put in the freezer overnight.

3. Mix up a mixture of denatured alcohol, Pam cooking spray, yellow mustard and mineral spirits. (2 cups of each.)

4. Take the wheels and tires out of the freezer and put in a bucket, with this mixture covering them. Leave the bucket outside, because it will smell.
Leave for 3 weeks.

6. Now take the wheels and tires out of the bucket and CAREFULLY using a coarse horseshoe rasp, take off all the chrome from the wheels, using a circular motion. Take your time.

7. Clean off the wheels with turpintine and watered-down white "paper" paste, like you would get at a school supply store (the kind in the white plastic jar, with the little brush in the middle - make sure it's the one with the blue lid).

8. Okay, you're almost through. Take the wheels and tires and leave them in the sun for at least 4 days. Each day, spray them with a mixture of hair tonic and garlic juice (yes, garlic juice).

9. After 4 days, wrap fiberglass-reinforced strapping tape TIGHTLY around the outside of the tires, making sure it is tight enough to compress them a good bit. You'll have to use your judgement here. Leave them this way, under shade (outside), for 2 days.

10. After two days, the wheels and tires should have separated and should be near where you left them on the ground - only, they will be neatly and completely separated.

There you go!

Southern, that sounds like the best method yet! 50 bucks in supplies, a ruined bucket, and a week later, and you have umm.. nothing to show for it. Damn funny though, for the first couple steps you had me fooled.

Back