Offroad clay / hardpacked dirt track tires - slicks - traction compound break in / prep

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
These were my first set of tires for this kit, JConcepts ellipse's, silver compound. Was a bar tire, got worn down to a slick with more practice and race days on indoor clay tracks since the carpet track closed up. Yesterday I got them prepped up. Basically feel like I burned compound into them by putting compound on them and running the car battery after battery. Very sticky now. Should be good traction.
409061005_366435406345876_5357088754571414772_n.jpg

These tires have 9 days on them. Some of those days are just practice days, some were race days. Planning on keeping these tires for a while. But the only con is that one of the wheels are cracked, just slightly tho. A bit of CA or super glue should be able to help, but might throw the wheel balance off. But I really don't care that much.

Last edited:
When I raced Clay tracks I always used . bladed tires as slicks by me where always to off. Sometimes we used grip a lot...wore tires in on backing in a piece of carpet..replce that cracked rim those cars balance off. Traction would change as day went on and moisture dried up on track

Looks like USPS might have lost my package so I might not get my other pair of slicks for the rustler because I leave Monday morning and it is still somewhere between New Jersey and Baltimore. Planning on taking the rustler to Beach RC. Use the slick I already have in the rear. And use the worn out street tires out front. I will try to attempt to "burn" traction compound into them to make them sticky enough.

Hopefully I can get that setup to work. Or I can buy that same pair of slicks at the hobby shop down there, which tires are like 6 dollars more expensive at the hobby shop than online. And once I get back home, if I have my package I can keep the other tires I ordered from AMain as spares, or sell them.

Back