how to add pull start or hpi rotostart to losi 454?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a Losi 454 from a friend however it has no backplate, no pull start or roto start thing. He had the engine laying around so he doesn’t have a clue how to get it running either. Sorry I’m a noob as well. What can I buy to get it running? I have a hpi .28 engine with rotostart backplate and I have a rotostart laying around but I also would be open to installing a pull start onto the losi. I read some stuff about certain engines only being able to use pull start if they originally came with pull start and drill start if they came with drill start.

i assume pull start will be cheapest so what do i need for that?

Thanks

look up the manual and see what parts you be missing.. or you can unscrew silver battery mount pegs and go get the same size from lhs (local hobbyshop)or hardware store drill a hole in at the correct height to slide body pin thru all depends on how hard your gonna drive you might have a wide range of material to choose from. nylon .grad 8 ,stainless ,aluminum .brass. going from a 2wd slash /I don't own a 4x4

Last edited:
thx for the help yall
With my research, it seems ill have to also change the crankshaft because the crankshaft is different for a pull-start engine. Secondly, ill need to buy the whole pull start mechanism. With my research, these engine internals are the same as a LRP 28r Spec 3, Dynamite Mach 2 Big Red, SH 28 P8 Pro. So I can use parts from any of those engines. I normally would use the bump box but I have a savage x so theres no spot for me to bump the engine against the starter box, the only way I could think would work is if I had some type of handheld drill bump box which could come from the side and start the flywheel. Thanks!

Hey guys I picked up a Losi 454 from a friend however it has no backplate, no pull start or roto start thing. He had the engine laying around so he doesn’t have a clue how to get it running either. Sorry I’m a noob as well. What can I buy to get it running? I have a hpi .28 engine with rotostart backplate and I have a rotostart laying around but I also would be open to installing a pull start onto the losi. I read some stuff about certain engines only being able to use pull start if they originally came with pull start and drill start if they came with drill start.

i assume pull start will be cheapest so what do i need for that?

Thanks
That 454 likely came in a Losi 8ighT 2.0 rtr kit, with a nice purple Losi Bump Box.