how long should a battery last

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratman70

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi folks i have just run my 1/10 great vigour cagex for the first time i have two 7.4v 5000mah batteries fully charged them to spec but they only lasted about ten min each at the most i noticed the deans plug was loose fitting have fixed that and put batteries back on charge and they showed dead flat am i doing something wrong or do i need lipo batteries bit embaresing when young kids cheap ass 50buck car out lasted both my batteries and his ran on 6 aa batteries

as you can guess very new to electric rc:doh::doh::doh::doh:

it will take a few cycles to get your batteries to peak charge and get some life out of them .. I'm assuming you were doing a lot of high speed running as well that will kill the batteries quick.. As for the $50 car outlasting the toy rc you buy at walmart and such are designed to last for a while with gearing and motors that do not pull a lot of voltage. Thats why most of them really suck driving in grass and such as they are not really set up for it

What brand are the batteries. What is the kit and what motor/ESC combo is in it? a quality 5000mAh pack should last at least 15 minutes even brand new and upwards of 35 minutes depending on how your driving them and your rig electronics etc. If your not turning continuous fast laps on a track Id say they should last you at least 20 minutes. I average about 20-35 minutes out of a pack when I'm out just bashing around.

when you charged your batteries did they actually make it to the 5000mah capacity? Or did you just unplug and go when the charger said full? When i got my 5000mah batteries i had to charge / discharge about 5 times before they made it to the 5000mah capacity. The first charge was only about 1200mah and went up from their. This was on all 6 batteries and even had to cycle the stock traxxas batteries before they made it to full capacity.
Just a little tip. Watch your charging carefully. Due to some sort of charger issue suddenly it was only charging my 5000mah to around 3000mah. I thought it was a battery issue and ordered 2 more and the shop i ordered from actually sent me 2 for warranty. All 6 batteries refused to charge to a full 5000mah. Took teh charger back to teh hobby shop and after some hassle i exchanged it for another charger by the same company but by then it was to late the batteries still refused to charge to full capacity. I ended up getting a hitech charger thinking it was the charger again. But have never been able to recover the batteries to a full 5000mah but i still get a good 1/2 - 1 hour run on them in my summits. Never did figure out what was wrong with the charger but i see the shop had resold it and seen it sitting their a few weeks ago with the same complainant i had..hehe

thanks guys
yeah the hobby shop i bought the batteries from explained to me that i had to charge hem a couple times getting them up around 3000 so far on third charge and gettig anout 1/2 to3/4 hour out of each will be great when they get to full charge
thanks again for the help and advise

Back