how easy are high speed and low speed needles supposed to be to turn?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hello on my savage x 4.6 i just noticed that the high speed needle is very easy to turn, it doesn't seem to be turn or loosen on its own when driving but the very minimal force with a screwdriver can turn it, its very effortless. i can't remember how it was when i first got the truck because its been years but just curious if this is normal? or do i have to fix or change something?

thanks!

should have some resistance, I'm guessing the o-ring on the needle is starting to loose its elasticity. might be able to soak it in some nitro fuel, or get some AE green slime to help it seal, but id be on the hunt for some new o-rings before long. can start to cause an air leak and make tuning a pain and run lean.

+1 to what @D3MON said. The last time I had my big block revo out (rarely drive nitro anymore), my HSN o-ring had dried/shrunk and it was tuning itself as it drove. Every engine I've had that did that, the needle would screw itself in and lean the engine out, but this time, it was backing out. I'm lucky I didn't lose the needle!

I ended up ordering a couple sizes of generic silicone o-rings off amazon to get one that fit ok as the o-ring kit for my LRP28S3 was tough to find and expensive.

There should be a bit of resistance.

should have some resistance, I'm guessing the o-ring on the needle is starting to loose its elasticity. might be able to soak it in some nitro fuel, or get some AE green slime to help it seal, but id be on the hunt for some new o-rings before long. can start to cause an air leak and make tuning a pain and run lean.
thanks my friend, so i just unscrew the screw and then dunk it in nitro? i think the screw has one oring and then theres a o ring inside where the screw came out of, can i just pour some nitro into that spot too to maybe help the o ring?

thx

thanks my friend, so i just unscrew the screw and then dunk it in nitro? i think the screw has one oring and then theres a o ring inside where the screw came out of, can i just pour some nitro into that spot too to maybe help the o ring?

thx
i removed the o-ring, sat it in a bottle cap of fuel for around half an hour and working the o-ring gently in the last 10 minutes or so of the soak. Seemed to work in that case. was only a few tanks later that i swapped out to new ones though so i am unsure how long doing so will last.

Id get some AE green slime like D3mon mentioned. I use it all around my orings right from the start to not only help protect the oring but it will also help seal against air leaks. Just my .02

Last edited:

thx
Put a little bit of nitro in a cup or container and let the screw soak in it with the o-ring on it for a while. I wouldn't try removing the o-ring as it's likely dry and will just split.

If it swells too much to let it fit properly, dry it with a paper towel and let it dry overnight. It should shrink back down some.

sounds good thanks yeall! ill buy some of that stuff, i guess i just apply a light layer around the rings?

Id get some AE green slime like D3mon mentioned. I use it all around my orings right from the start to not only help protect the oring but it will also help seal against air leaks. Just my .02
green slime is the best lol love that stuff

i guess i soaked it too long so its too big rn, but going to let it dry overnight and try again tomorrow. any chance i can use some lube or something around the house to put the o ring in until i get green slime? maybe some mineral oil or bearing oil will help it slide in?

thx

any chance i can use some lube or something around the house to put the o ring in until i get green slime?

thx
Any generic silicone grease you can find will work but I like the consistency of green slime. The generic stuff I tried in the past is way more viscous than green slime so I stopped using it once I found green slime

thanks for all the help! i dried it and left it out and then i got some green slime and put the tiniest amount just to lightly coat the o ring, i dont think i put on too much, when i screwed it in seems like the slime makes it easier to turn and screw but i guess it will also stop any air leaks. i will test run this weekend thx yall

thanks for all the help! i dried it and left it out and then i got some green slime and put the tiniest amount just to lightly coat the o ring, i dont think i put on too much, when i screwed it in seems like the slime makes it easier to turn and screw but i guess it will also stop any air leaks. i will test run this weekend thx yall
If you continue to have issues you may need to replace the orings but hopefully that works for ya. If you do redo your orings tho the green slime will help preserve them :)

Hello
I have Ofna/Picco .26. 3.5 engine
It is brand new but old twin titan. The engine doesn't seem to have s low speed needle. Is it possible to not have a low speed needle? It has high speed needle
And a needle with a spring assuming its idle. Any help setting this engine up for break-in would be great.
Thank you.

Hello
I have Ofna/Picco .26. 3.5 engine
It is brand new but old twin titan. The engine doesn't seem to have s low speed needle. Is it possible to not have a low speed needle? It has high speed needle
And a needle with a spring assuming its idle. Any help setting this engine up for break-in would be great.
Thank you.

Did you look inside the throttle housing ,where the throttle hooks up to ,that is where the Lsn is located
at on a 3 needle carb.?

Did you look inside the throttle housing ,where the throttle hooks up to ,that is where the Lsn is located
at on a 3 needle carb.?
Yes I did. There isn't a screw. This .26 engine only has a high speed and a black screw with spring. Would this be idle with no lsn. It tight to turn
Thank you for help.

Yes I did. There isn't a screw. This .26 engine only has a high speed and a black screw with spring. Would this be idle with no lsn. It tight to turn
Thank you for help.

Unless someone has changed the carb ,the engine should have a Lsn needle ,however ,some of the older
small block engines had only the HSN needle ,your engine should have the atleast 2 needles ,in which
the Lsn is hidden in the throttle slide barrel housing!
As far as break-in sets ,you will have to find the factory sets ,some newer engines factory is flush setting
with the outside of the edge of housing!