How do I vent rc tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I’m venting 1.9 inch crawler tires. How should I go about punching a hole ? A 3mm inch drill bit?

Last edited:
I woud do 1 or 1.5, maybe 2mm max. I do my monster trucks wheels in the rims, 2 holes each, 180°, or in othe words across from one another.

If you want to vent the tires you will probably have a hard time getting a drill to go though cleanly.

Best to use hollow punches like these

Yes you need a hollow punch of some kind. I use this type.
20210623_165204.jpg

Oh, those are nice!
Look up leather punch

Really this should be done on the rims.
It kind of depends. If you use any kind of tire sauce on the tires then yes the wheels are your best best to keep your sauce from getting to the foams. If its on some sort of high speed kit again wheels are a good option. If your tires are belted then again you want to go with the wheel. If your tires a big and prone to ballooning then the tire is a better choice because if the hole is in the wheel then once throttle is lessened it takes longer for the air to escape through the wheel hole because it has to go through the foam in order to escape. By putting the hole in the wheel it allows air to escape faster and the ballooning will subside more quickly. just my .02