How do i learn about rc?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the same thing Jerold does with regards to looking up manuals online. Before I ever buy a kit I have already read the manual, watched some YouTube vids, and probably already discussed it on here.

Exploring the manual before you even buy the kit helps you to get to know the RC before you pull the trigger. It also allows you to see the part numbers for commonly replaced items, which you can look up to see if they are readily available.

Sometimes the manuals might have errors, and that's where YouTubers might have made a video about it. Like the Axial Ryft manual not stating or illustrating that a part was not symmetrical, which caused me about an hour delay in our build, as well as causing me the stress of dismantling and reassembling a somewhat complicated transmission 3 times before I realized my error 🤬

But I have seen first hand how some people have trouble comprehending exploded views and part drawings, so I get it. Looking at an RC car in pieces can be scary. Like some people can look at 2d drawings of a part and not be able to visualize the 3d shape, and vice versa. It's a weird right-side left-side brain thing. That's what forums are for though. To find help when you need it.

I do the same thing Jerold does with regards to looking up manuals online. Before I ever buy a kit I have already read the manual, watched some YouTube vids, and probably already discussed it on here.

Exploring the manual before you even buy the kit helps you to get to know the RC before you pull the trigger. It also allows you to see the part numbers for commonly replaced items, which you can look up to see if they are readily available.

Sometimes the manuals might have errors, and that's where YouTubers might have made a video about it. Like the Axial Ryft manual not stating or illustrating that a part was not symmetrical, which caused me about an hour delay in our build, as well as causing me the stress of dismantling and reassembling a somewhat complicated transmission 3 times before I realized my error 🤬

But I have seen first hand how some people have trouble comprehending exploded views and part drawings, so I get it. Looking at an RC car in pieces can be scary. Like some people can look at 2d drawings of a part and not be able to visualize the 3d shape, and vice versa. It's a weird right-side left-side brain thing. That's what forums are for though. To find help when you need it.
Thanks for the reply guys.

Practice, YouTube, being confident you watch and make note of what you remove and put back. Google what you need.

What on earth are they teaching in school these days, why aren't there rc courses? The best way to learn is to build a kit. That gives you an idea of how everything goes together and how it all works. This will also allow you to understand your rc better and be able to trouble shoot problems.

I am one of THOSE guys who doesn't really love wrenching, but I learned just so I could keep everything running. Heck I'm stil learning. I enjoy it sometimes, I think my problem is I don't have enough free time to not feel rushed when I do it.

You know what they are teaching them. All cars are bad, the world is falling apart and it's my fault and if you hug the criminals they will be nice.

It's a shame kids can't be kids any more. They should be outside exploring, experimenting and not watching the news to put together the next woke project for school.

Some people just have a natural talent or ability to assemble things easily and others don’t. To most people these exploded views and diagrams are like different languages. Grab a kit and start slow, like every other swinging sausage says just jump in but take your time, don’t use loctite on plastic connections, and don’t over torque the screws. Also, be sure to thread stuff in nice n straight so it doesn’t cross thread. Learning how to build, you just have to do it, learning about batteries, you need to read up on some stuff, learning about gearing, same; read up on some stuff. Don’t over gear, don’t over volt. Use that search button before you start a new thread.

There are plenty of people on here that love to help out new people. I would help anyone, they just need to ask the right questions. We are so diverse here with different brands n all, someone is bound to be familiar with what you’re working on!

Youtube and reading info online. For me personally at least that covered 95% of everthing. The other 10% being this forum. Even know I reasearch and do my homework sometimes I just need guidance from more experienced individuals. After your first build its just like cleaning a gun. Straight forward! Assembly is a breeze. Fine tuning one to your liking and peak performance for said condition is technical and time consuming. Crazy how a slight adjustment makes such a dramatic difference. Test and tune was and still is my favorite part since I'm still learning. Making custom parts is a close second. Love to experiment mysef!

Last edited:
Most of us are probably mechanically inclined, but then again I am usually confused with the amount of RC’s that are left at the hobby shop for repair

Buy a kit that you really love, buy the tools and lock tight, blue. Get a mat. And when you see what you can do on the 1st steps the rest will come natural. :thumbs-up:
The fool says I can't, the wise man says I'll try. YouTube it. You just need some confidence. :thumbs-up: Or get a RTR truck, and when it breaks just repair it. You can do this.

Last edited: