High density foam for front bumpers?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! cheaper and probably the same stuff.
I ordered the cutter DOOM! suggested, it will be here tomorrow.
If I can cut this stuff accurately, there's a LOT of uses for it...

If you plan on cutting several, make yourself a template out of something rigid like plywood and trace the cutter around it. the wire will follow the template pretty well.

Great! cheaper and probably the same stuff.
I ordered the cutter DOOM! suggested, it will be here tomorrow.
If I can cut this stuff accurately, there's a LOT of uses for it...
The easiest way to cut with the hotwire is if following a wooden template. They make some really cool airplane wings and stuff like that. But even freehand the wire should do nicely on thin stuff. If you have a belt sander, you can smooth out the edges with them.

Lol @Doom! - beat me again.

The easiest way to cut with the hotwire is if following a wooden template.
If you plan on cutting several, make yourself a template out of something rigid like plywood

The wood template is a good idea, I'll make some up. I've got about 4 or 5 cars that need better bumpers (I'm a crappy driver) so hopefully will work out.

Wow the foam cutter is amazing! Even without any experience I was able to use it effectively with a little practice.
Doom! and WickedFog, you guys are great I really appreciate the tips!
When I hand cut (gnawed?) the first one I made it too small on the body edge, so I didn't remove any material there. I don't want to waste the new foam so I'll live with the ugly front cut on this one.
PXL_20230524_201001435.jpg
Where the cutter was handy was thinning out the area on the top of the foam where the upper bracket sits. Original bumper is 14mm thick, and the new foam is 20mm thick. Using the U shaped adapter on the foam cutter I was able to thin out the area under the bracket so it would fit properly. Now the screws that go into the diff and hold the sway bar can be used.
Now I can make properly fitting bumpers for any of my cars. Sweet.

Wow the foam cutter is amazing! Even without any experience I was able to use it effectively with a little practice.
Doom! and WickedFog, you guys are great I really appreciate the tips!
When I hand cut (gnawed?) the first one I made it too small on the body edge, so I didn't remove any material there. I don't want to waste the new foam so I'll live with the ugly front cut on this one. View attachment 166149Where the cutter was handy was thinning out the area on the top of the foam where the upper bracket sits. Original bumper is 14mm thick, and the new foam is 20mm thick. Using the U shaped adapter on the foam cutter I was able to thin out the area under the bracket so it would fit properly. Now the screws that go into the diff and hold the sway bar can be used.
Now I can make properly fitting bumpers for any of my cars. Sweet.
Great! Can’t wait till my stuff gets here.

Looks like a good selection of all sorts of different types of foam.
I made my first bumper using the foam cutter and I'm really pleased. Using the wire attachment I cut the outline using a cardboard template then used the straight attachment for the plunge holes. I then used the U attachment to thin out the area under the upper bracket to 16mm. Block sanded with 120 grit to clean it up and do the final fitting.
This is the result on my next build project based on the Traxxas 4-Tec chassis I got last week.
I'll do a full build thread after all the parts I ordered arrive.
PXL_20230527_135338678.jpg

PXL_20230527_140305261.jpg

Looks like a good selection of all sorts of different types of foam.
I made my first bumper using the foam cutter and I'm really pleased. Using the wire attachment I cut the outline using a cardboard template then used the straight attachment for the plunge holes. I then used the U attachment to thin out the area under the upper bracket to 16mm. Block sanded with 120 grit to clean it up and do the final fitting.
This is the result on my next build project based on the Traxxas 4-Tec chassis I got last week.
I'll do a full build thread after all the parts I ordered arrive.
View attachment 166381
View attachment 166382

Sweet! 😍 ya done good!

Back