High density foam for front bumpers?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I've been looking all over for some bulk high density foam 1/2" thick to cut up for front bumpers. Anybody have a line on the material the manufacturers use? Is there any other material that will serve the same function? Any suggestions are greatly welcomed...

I’ve been look for this as well. Hopefully someone chimes in with a good source. I’ve looked at McMaster-Carr and they probably have it but I’m not 100% sure on the properties to search for. And it would cost a small fortune to buy all the ones that might work and weed out the ones that don’t.

I’ve looked at McMaster-Carr and they probably have it but I’m not 100% sure on the properties to search for.
Same here. Too many choices and I've no idea what would work best. I've looked at anti-fatigue floor mats at Harbor Freight but they're not stiff enough. Also looked at gardening kneeling pads but too thick. Ideally, 1/2" would be best.
Would a yoga mat work?
The wife has one, too thick and not firm enough. I may hit Joann Fabric and Michael's crafts to see what they have.
Granger has three types listed in 1/2" black.
Polyethylene Cushioning Foam 12" x 24" for about $20
EVA Super-Cushioning Foam 12" x 12" about $20
Neoprene Water-Resistant Foam 12" x 12" about $73 (ouch!)
I wish I could "hands on" to see what would work best....

Last edited:
Try amazon...search " foam backpacking mat". $12.00.
Sorry...didn't know how to share the page to this forum.

Got the "ballistic plate" foam pad substitutes today, the material seems identical to the original Rlaarlo foam. Only difference is it is 20mm thick instead of 14.5mm. Each piece is about 9" x 12" with upper corners angle cut.
Hardness, color and stiffness are the same, and closer inspection shows the foam cells about the same size.
I was only able to use the three vertical screws to hold the top bumper plate to the bottom one. The two horizontal screws that go into the diff don't line up, but I may be able to finesse it to fit.
It looks like this will work great, and there's enough to do probably 8 bumpers or so.
It cuts OK with scissors and an X-acto, kinda raggy but not too tough. I drilled the holes with a step drill.
I think this stuff will work for a lot of different projects at a price that can't be beat.
This one looks like I chewed it off, hopefully I'll get better at making clean cuts... I'll make one for the T/A next.
PXL_20230523_163626605.jpg

PXL_20230523_160734329.jpg

PXL_20230523_161010586.jpg

Got the "ballistic plate" foam pad substitutes today, the material seems identical to the original Rlaarlo foam. Only difference is it is 20mm thick instead of 14.5mm. Each piece is about 9" x 12" with upper corners angle cut.
Hardness, color and stiffness are the same, and closer inspection shows the foam cells about the same size.
I was only able to use the three vertical screws to hold the top bumper plate to the bottom one. The two horizontal screws that go into the diff don't line up, but I may be able to finesse it to fit.
It looks like this will work great, and there's enough to do probably 8 bumpers or so.
It cuts OK with scissors and an X-acto, kinda raggy but not too tough. I drilled the holes with a step drill.
I think this stuff will work for a lot of different projects at a price that can't be beat.
This one looks like I chewed it off, hopefully I'll get better at making clean cuts... I'll make one for the T/A next.
View attachment 166063
View attachment 166060
View attachment 166061
Fantastic! Nice work. I’ll be ordering some soon!

I bet these foam gym mats would be perfect, and already 1/2" thick, too. You also get 4x 24"x24" pieces for only $20, best deal of any of them if they work.

I bet these foam gym mats would be perfect, and already 1/2" thick, too. You also get 4x 24"x24" pieces for only $20, best deal of any of them if they work.
If they're like my wife's, the thickness is right but I don't think they are as dense. They have hard outer shells with more porous foam in-between. Our R/C bumper application requires impact reduction from the edge as opposed to between faces.
Look into something like >>> this <<< for cutting foam. I use mine all the time.
:thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:
Perfect! Ordered.
Maybe the next one I make won't look like a rabid wombat attacked it :eek:

If they're like my wife's, the thickness is right but I don't think they are as dense. They have hard outer shells with more porous foam in-between. Our R/C bumper application requires impact reduction from the edge as opposed to between faces.

I don't think these are that style. I own a set myself of their 3/4" matts and they're a homogenous, dense foam.

I don't think these are that style. I own a set myself of their 3/4" matts and they're a homogenous, dense foam.
Great! cheaper and probably the same stuff.
I ordered the cutter DOOM! suggested, it will be here tomorrow.
If I can cut this stuff accurately, there's a LOT of uses for it...

You guys got me foaming at the mouth. Thanks for posting. 🤣 been thinking about a 1/8 slash build.

a few of my old school chargers(nicad-nimh) have a hot knife option that I've use.

Back