Hey guys new to lipo... Need some help...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjc1986

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Need some help I'm goin nuts figuring this out
I'm new to lipo and I'm trying to set my charger up the right way for this battery. I have an hpi plazma lipo 2s 7.4v 5300mah 30c battery and I'm using an hpi reactor500 charger. Can anyone give me some input of what my settings should be at to charge this the right way??? I've read the manual like 4 times and its not really making sense what I should have my amp settings at. I got the volt and cell count on there right.. Just can't figure out my amps.. And on the batteries first charge should I normal charge it or balance charge it? Please help!? Lol

Balance charging a LiPo is always a good idea. As far as settings go, If you have the capability I'd set it for 5000 mAH or 5 Amps. That is about a nice safe 1C charge rate. You can also charge it at about 10 Amps which is about a 2C rate without much trouble. The first rate will charge the pack in about an hour. The second about 30 minutes or so.

The way I figure charge rates is : For every 1000mAh = 1.0amp charge rate. Therefore, your 5300mAh would charge at 5.3 amps. You can charge at lower rates but it will take longer.

For balancing,if the charger has it I always use it. Doesn't seem to effect the cycle time and it's safer for the battery.

Ok great. Well I have the hpi reactor 500 and it only let me set it at 5a or lower on the charge setting.. I didn't play with the balance setting yet. It's just no matter how many times I read the chargers manual the amp setting didn't make sense to me so thank you. I guess I'll have to charge it at 5a then since it seems to be my best choice with this charger.