Hey gearheads: (part two)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelCityNitro

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So over the weekend me and the lady were out cruising in the vette, looking awesome. :cool: When all of a sudden, I smell coolant. So, I pulled off the road and started to investigate. Long story short, the water pump has decided to join the fight. I made 100% sure this was the problem when I got home. So, today after work I pulled out the Haynes book and went to work. I got everything apart, it was all pretty simple stuff and for the most part no elbow grease was needed. I knew there was going to be something that would be nearly impossible to get out.. I'll be damned if i can't get the gasket seals to break loose. There isn't anywhere to pry without taking serious risk of damaging other parts. The book says to wack the sun a bitch with a rubber mallet or a claw hammer and a 2x4. Well, even when I got chuck norris on the water pump, I was acting more norris than I. When the daylight faded I decided to call it quits for the day. It may have won the battle but not the war. I soaked the seals with PB blaster to maybe help loosen things up and letting it soak overnight. I was wondering if anyone had had this happen before and what did you do? As always, you guys are awesome for all the help. :D

If you are pounding straight on its top or side, you have the greatest amount of surface tension working against you. You have to get it at an angle from behind and pound it towards the front, and it will peel itself loose.

If you are pounding straight on its top or side, you have the greatest amount of surface tension working against you. You have to get it at an angle from behind and pound it towards the front, and it will peel itself loose.

Very true. I just may have to fashion up some kind of tool to try that. It was easy for these haynes guy back when these cars were new i'm sure, this one's been on for 16 years. lol

I second that, double check ALL bolts. If you have the new pump already look at the mounting bolt holes and compare to the one on the car still...

I've never had a pump that didn't come off with just a few hits with a rubber mallet or even just a smack with my open palm...

Mark

The book says there are only four bolts. There is an alternator bracket right there as well, I'm going to investigate that later

Compare with the new pump and maybe grab the pump shaft with something to pull it off. It def should not be stuck that hard.

I'm waiting for the new pump to come in. Found another bolt holding the damn thing in. The Haynes book said there was 4.. this one was kind of hidden:shrug: So it makes a total of five. I was able to get it to come loose but I have to fenangale it to get out. I dont have time tonight as I'm going to the studio tonight to help the band move into our new practice room.

I doubt the vette cooling system has to bled, but some cooling systems do. You may want to look into that just in case.
Just a heads up and keep on rockin' dude.:dancin:

Well no rocking went on tonight since it took us too much time to move and set up, but I did manage to trip over an air guitar.. that kind of hurt. As far as bleeding the coolant system, there is a bleeding valve on the thermostat housing.

Ok then research the exact bleeding process for it, because even though it's usually an easy process it can lead to overheating if not done correctly.