Hesitation issue with my stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Not sure what’s going on. I’ll post the video and maybe you guys can help.
I don’t think it’s the motor or esc because it did the same thing with my brushed and brushless setups. Unless they were both messsed up witch is possible. Both used systems
It will hesitate on take off and then ill loose input from my tx.
Damnit won’t let me upload the video.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Try re-binding your receiver and transmitter. Then try recalibrating the throttle with your transmitter. How are the transmitter batteries?

Try re-binding your receiver and transmitter. Then try recalibrating the throttle with your transmitter. How are the transmitter batteries?

My transmitter is saying 5.7V. Tried rebinding and recalibration the esc. Same problem

Can try swapping your receiver channels and see if it still does it. i.e. plug steering into channel 2 and throttle into channel 1. This will make your steering wheel control throttle/reverse and the trigger will now control left/right steering.

If it still hesitates with the wheel controlling the throttle and no issues with the trigger controlling the steering, it's probably a bad receiver channel and the receiver itself.
If it doesn't hesitate but you have issues with the steering signal while the trigger is controlling that, it's most likely a bad transmitter.

Just something to try to maybe narrow it down.

How bad is the hesitation?
When you say, "loose (lose) input from my tx,"what is being lost? Steering?

Sometimes the right combination of components will not like each other. A servo might be a power hog, and/or the speed control's BEC is not up to par. I've even had a very low budget ESC (claiming to be 4S capable) act funny for awhile, and the BEC just up quit on me.

Buying used, there is always a risk of little nuances that show up.

Since when did this forum institute automatic links?

The post above has battery eliminator circuit links that I did not do. Weird. ?

Try a hard reset, there is a menu tree for that in the manual. My Stampede 4x4 used to hesitate, chug, and then let fly with full throttle. Then smoke came out of the body, illuminated by the headlites. The motor was hot enough to burn my thumbprint off. Got a new VXL motor and ESC under warranty. Long shot here, does it have TSM? Set too sensitive?

How bad is the hesitation?
When you say, "loose (lose) input from my tx,"what is being lost? Steering?

Sometimes the right combination of components will not like each other. A servo might be a power hog, and/or the speed control's BEC is not up to par. I've even had a very low budget ESC (claiming to be 4S capable) act funny for awhile, and the BEC just up quit on me.

Buying used, there is always a risk of little nuances that show up.

I wish I could upload the video but it won’t let me.
When I hit forward or reverse on the tx it hesitates for s moment or two than takes off. When I stop totally. I have at least a good 15 second delay before it comes back again.

Last edited:
Try a hard reset, there is a menu tree for that in the manual. My Stampede 4x4 used to hesitate, chug, and then let fly with full throttle. Then smoke came out of the body, illuminated by the headlites. The motor was hot enough to burn my thumbprint off. Got a new VXL motor and ESC under warranty. Long shot here, does it have TSM? Set too sensitive?

No it’s an older stampede 2wd with upgraded parts.
Spektrum radio with an sr3000 rx. Used
Vxl esc. Used.
Duratrax sensored brushless motor. Used.
2075 waterproof servo. A month old
Battery is brand new.
Sensor wire new

Wasn’t running right with my old xl5 combo either but it got worse when I switch to the brushless.
With the xl5 it would hesitate only in reverse. Now it’s for words al well

Is the receiver/transmitter compatible with your drivetrain? Can you try a new signaling system, transplant from another vehicle? The frequency/electrical ranges may not be compatible. I'm beginning to reach here, as all of my experience is in Traxxas. Good luck

My original TRX6533 receiver could not run my engine sound box "noise maker", so I stole one from my friend's emaxx, #TRX6518, I believe, and that made it all work. This is my Rustler 4x4 we're talking about. Can you try a different receiver box? I am as surprised as you are , probably, hearing the results of my 4x4 Rustler.

Sounds like a bad throttle channel in the receiver then is the culprit. I doubt it would be mutiple esc/motor combos.
If it was that, then he would have hesitation on the steering servo plugged into the throttle. His issue is following where the esc is plugged in.

To post a video, put it on youtube, then put the link here.

those dont have a punch control do they? for some reason i though VXL was a mamba re-badge but do not quote me on that.
might have been a setting got messed up?

If it was that, then he would have hesitation on the steering servo plugged into the throttle. His issue is following where the esc is plugged in.

To post a video, put it on youtube, then put the link here.

I still think it's a receiver issue. If it was esc, multiple esc/motor combos wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. The receiver seems to be the "common denominator" and the starting point for troubleshooting. From swapping the channels if the steering worked fine on trigger, the transmitter is sending the signals fine.

If it doesn't fix it he can prob just return it but pretty sure that'll fix the issue. if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and not too proud to admit it. ;) But at least he'll know its oddly enough two bad escs and won't be guessing any more.

Last edited: