Help with a PTI Goliath

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phx123

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I built the kit and everything was great. Drove it around til the battery died. I touched the motor just about burnt my fingers off. I'm using a Novak XRS speed control and an Integy 55 turn lathe pro. Battery pack was just a venom 3000 mah out of my rotostart . The question is what would cause the motor to heat up that much? Is that normal? My speed control was cold and the battery was also cold. I ve had nitro's for 5 years but never an electric. Oh and I'm running the stock gearing..12 tooth pinion and a 81 tooth spur.
thanx Bob

maybe some thing is binding up. push it manually to see how it rolls.

Well it pushes fine. Each wheel spins freely. There is nothing binding that I can see..or feel. I'm not really sure what the temps for these motors are like. I've looked at the integy website but nothing as far as temps go

you could e mail intergy. it might be your driving style. i dont have a pti but when I'm running my rc18b sometimes my motor also gets hot to where it burns the hell out of my finger.

try using a smaller pinion.

I am sure that gearing is for a stock motor.... IE a 27 turn motor.

With that set up you should have great run time and the motor should not be that hot. If nothing is binding and all of the bearings are good check the gear mesh, if it's too tight it can cause the motor to build up heat.

my 55 turn lathe motor in my TLT crawler doesn't get hot running 12/87 gearing in a pede tranny. I would say running stock gearing in a PTI I would be using at least a 27 turn motor.

Recheck all connections around the motor, everything has to be well connected. Resistance causes heat. Spin your motor by hand, pushing the truck won't give you a great feel for binding in the motor. Check your brushes for cracks. Remember, crack kills.

Yeah I ordered new gears and Ill take it apart and check..thanx guys