Help - Tekmodel 18A ESC Set up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra198

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

Just received my Tekmodel 18A ESC to go with my Castle 4200kv. Got it all installed and plugged in, but I'm having a problem... I am trying to do the setup procedure, but the esc does not seem to be connecting to my (stock) receiver.
(I'm following these directions - page 3 - http://www.hobbywing.com/upload/manu...)_20080102.pdf

When I hold the set button, then switch the esc "On" I can get the light to blink red. When I tap the set button again (with no finger on throttle control in order to set neutral position) the light sometimes goes to solid red and sometimes completely goes off (instead of blinking green). I can't figure it out.

Another strange thing is that I can't get the servo to work either. So not only am I unable to set the throttle/break/neutral parameters, but I have no steering either. This makes me think that something simple must be wrong, but I have no idea. I know the unit is getting power because the red light comes on and blinks when I hold the set button.

It may also have to do with step A on the instructions for setup. It gives the procedure for the Futaba radio system, but thats not what I'm using. The instructions state "set the direction of throttle channel to ”REV”,
set the “EPA/ATV” value of throttle channel to “100%”, and disable the “ABS” brake function of your transmitter."
Not quite sure if I can do this with the stock RC18MT radio. Could that be my issue???

I am pretty perplexed... Anyone have any ideas for me? I'm hoping I'm just leaving some obvious detail out!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, The Throttle ATV settings are both to the max, and the throttle switch is set to reverse per the instructions. Still have nothing!

Well I figured it out! It was a simple plug issue. Once that was sorted, the servo worked and it allowed me to go into program mode!

Of course now its pouring rain outside, so I can't really try it! Torture!

How do you like the Tekmodel? I believe it's made by Hobbywing, which is also the manufacturering for Speed Passions, but I'm not really sure.

How do you like the Tekmodel? I believe it's made by Hobbywing, which is also the manufacturering for Speed Passions, but I'm not really sure.

You know, I'm not quite sure yet to tell you the truth cause I have only been able to run it in my house so far so its kinda hard to tell. Once it stops raining and I get a few hours out of it ill let you know for sure. From what I can tell so far, I am pretty impressed. Looks like good quality wiring, and a solid construction. The instructions says its waterproof as well which is awesome! Also, you are correct about the manufacturer (hobbywing).

Someone on another forum recommended the ESC to me, and I got an insane deal on it (came with the tuning card as well).

Anyways, gimme a few days an ill let you know how it performs.

Cheers!

Awesome. Can't wait to hear the review. Thanks!

Awesome. Can't wait to hear the review. Thanks!

Well, just wanted to give you a quick update on the Tekmodel 18A. Its been pretty darn wet out lately so haven't gotten a ton of run time out of it yet, but so far so good. Its a great little unit, and very simple to use with the program card on the fly!

The other day I was out running it and had a nasty crash (was doing a step up jump, missed the ramp and ran directly into a wall). Anyways, I went over to inspect and couldn't believe nothing broke on the RC18... What a beast! I hit so hard, that I snapped the + wire on the battery right off! Been busy so haven't had a chance to solder it up yet but shouldn't be too bad of a job.

Here is a pic of the stuff I installed on the RC18 along with a pic of the battery after the crash. Also, just ordered a 3 sell lipo for it, which will really wake it up! Now its time to start upgrading the drivetrain!

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg