Help me out here, what upgrades for Slash?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8z2luze

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been out of the game for atleast 5 years. I bought a slash yesterday. What are all the cool kids doing to them as far as upgrades. Already went lipo. Going to get a sidewinder brushless system for it eventually. These tires and shocks suck so I'm looking for that. Chassis wise my buddy got one that seemed to make a huge difference but I can't remember what one it is.

They have a lowered center of gravity chassis. I'm sure that would change things up quite a bit depending on what you want to do with your rig. I don't own one so I don't have any experience with it. There are a ton of aftermarket parts out there to upgrade pretty much EVERYTHING! MIP made a whole chassis kit for it too. If you want to go crazy with upgrading, Def check that out! I read an article that raved about it. It looks pretty bad ass to me!

Definitely do, but be sure to do your homework. There are prob more upgrades and aftermarket parts for that truck than for any other 1/10 scale s.c. on the market! You can build that truck into just about anything you want it to be! Great choice to get your feet wet again!

I couldnt find the MIP one anywhere. I went to Amain (which is local for me) and got a battery they talked me into the traxxas LCG chassis. I know it works well cause I drove my friends car that has it. So thats the start lol.

I know the mip kit was tough to find... I was looking at a built kit with it and trying to find one was difficult. The low cg chassis should help keep it planted and is DEF a good start! SCORE!

It made a huge difference. I think my next purchase will be the big bore shocks. I already popped the cap off the stock ones. Also already stripped a spur gear lol. I'm hard on equipment. It came with extra spur and pinion gears so I switched the gearing from a 16/90 to a 23/86 made a huge difference in top speed. It still has decent torque but I think I want to go somewhere in the middle of that. It kept up with my buddy's slash that has the stock gearing with a brushless sidewinder setup. I was impressed.

TIRES!!!

The stock Slash tires suck, unless you're going for no traction. Badlands are great for grass and loose dirt, and Trenchers are a good all-terrain tire. I don't know anyone who's run the other SC tires available but they do have a ton of options. If you're not going too crazy on the power, you can look into some bead locks and just swap tires.

Other options have already been mentioned, the LCG should definitely improve handling. I recommend T-Bone Racing bumpers for protection and of course RPM arms. A budget friendly driveshaft upgrade is to get the rear driveshafts from the Slash 4x4, they're a bit beefier than the stockers. Double check part numbers to make sure Traxxas hasn't started putting the HD ones on the standard Slash though, 6852x is the HD version.

Good morning!
I have the GTR shocks on my Jato and I haven't had any issues at all. I have also heard that the stock Slash shocks SUCK. Yes, the plastic caps are the particular issue! I would recommend the gtr's. Mine are nice and smooth, have threaded bodies, they work nice and have not leaked or broken AT ALL! You can also check out the Proline shocks. They are supposed to be real nice, or you could check out Associated big bores. They are super slick. While you have been out of the game, the powers that be have also introduced shock valves. Its basically a way for you to tune the compression and rebound. If you are bashing, I see no need for anything like that. If you are racing, look into it. MIP makes a kit, just for instance. (and those ARE availible!) You'll prob want to pick up a couple different grades of silicone shock oils too. If you aren't familiar with the whole silicone thing, there is a short write-up about it in the suspension forum here. Happy shopping!!!

Btw, you will find that the brushless motors are way more efficient, have great torque avail, and require less maintenance in general than the brushed. Although you can get more rpms out of (either type motor really) a new motor, the upgrades in pinion and spur count is where you'll find all the timing. There will be ratios that will keep your motor and esc at a happy temp while providing you with the sweet spot between optimum speed and efficiency.
If you'll be on the track, you can tune the whole system for what you're doing... Radio is tuneable, esc is programmable, adjust motor timing (depending on what class you are in) all for PEAK racing and that is per track condition. A LOT has changed with the technology since you were involved last.
What I'm getting at here is choose your electronics wisely and if you are racing, choose purposefully. This would also include the battery. No need for a HUGE battery if it's going to start messing with your c.g. or adding more weight while you're racing.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the replies! I have had a couple brushless rigs. I haven't been out THAT long lol. But all the info I can get is appreciated. I may in fact race. Not sure yet. Yes the stock tires do suck alot! I was planning on buying more pretty soon. My buddy bought the pro line tires with the small nubs. They work great but they are going to wear out super fast I feel. Probably necessary for a dry slick situation though. I was planning on rpm upgrades as well as maybe strc caster blocks.

The mini pins are awesome tires for carpet and astroturf. I would say they will wear quick outside of that but the compound and driving surface makes a difference too. Check out the proline dirt hawg tires. They are a good all around bashing tire.
Jconcepts always has a good selection of low dollar tires (check the sale and clearance sections).

I would Def do the RPM upgrades, arms etc... How can you go wrong with them? Almost the same prices as stock and they are tough as hell with a lifetime guarantee!

As you likely know, aluminum parts don't give, making the parts around that piece more susceptible to breakage. Where it's caster blocks, you'll still have the RPM stuff to take up any added abuse so you'll prob be ok. Just don't go aluminum all over unless you're gonna put it in a shelf! :thumbs-up:

Ya I'm not Rolex lol. I was weary of the aluminum but it seems alot of people use them in that particular place.

Lol! I can tell the difference... No wax between your teeth! There are certainly times that aluminum has its advantages. Aaaaaand there are times when the aluminum parts that are avail look and or fit so poorly you don't even consider it 'bling'. I have found a lot of th he gpm stuff avail for one of mine to be total junk! I'm sure what you are doing is at least worth a shot!

Well just bought my buddy's big bore shocks he's used twice with stiffer springs for $40 can't beat that. He is going with the pro lines. Can't wait to get them on and see the difference. I drove his truck and it handled so much better than mine even with the chassis upgrade. But that lcg chassis did make a huge difference.

NICE! Yeah, the larger diameter shocks make a HUGE difference! $40 is a score too!!!
I'd prob take the time to drain them out, clean them up and fill them with some new oil while they are out and it's easy to do. Getting the right weight oil in there will make all the difference between an ok ride and a perfect ride. ;)

He just did that the other day. What weight do you think would be right? I think he has 50 up front and 40 in the back.

Oil weight is determined more or less by feel and driving style as well as what you are doing with the truck. If that was what he was using in the shocks to start, it would likely be a good place to start. Let's say your friend was doing a lot of jumping and you won't be doing that much jumping, a lighter weight may be what you need, just as an example.

Well I live right by amain hobbies and they just built an awesome track so we will be there mostly. ALSO I found out one of my other buddies is sponsored by pro line and gets 40% off everything they make. Can you say score?