Help me decide on a new scx24

• Thread starter crjsawesomercgarage
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crjsawesomercgarage

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a scx24 build in turning into a monster truck and I want a comp style one too. My issue is I don’t have a lot of money and I’m trying to decide if I want to buy a prebuilt used one or build one from scratch. Love to hear some input

Welcome in @crjsawesomercgarage , I have four 1/24s , Deadbolt, C10 and two custom built.
I think the best one right of the box is the Deadbolt.
I've put a few bucks into my Deadbolt but you mentioned money being a issue.
I believe the Deadbolt would be your best bet.

Scx24 and cheap don’t exist. That platform is a money pit. Ask me how I know this. I have seen good things about the fms stuff for awhile now. Don’t get me wrong I really like my particular scx24 rig but it took a lot of money to make it acceptable for me. I ended up putting the Injora rock buggy cage on it and it’s way better than ever. I also have a furitek esc, and swapped over to the radiolink tx/rx system. It’s just a Frankenstein of stuff

You will almost always get a better deal by buying the upgraded version. Just look at the parts list and do the math. Also you won't need spend a bunch of time changing everything.

But .... It's never going to be exactly what you want and you will probably end up modifying it anyway. Then you will change your mind and throw the parts in a box and get new stuff.

I would look at the platform and decide how much you like it in that form and how much you will need to modify it.

I don't have one but, if you want a Monster Truck the FMS Smasher seems to be popular.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/fms-fc... MM&utm_term=4584688618297121&utm_content=fms
fmm12402rd.jpg

You will almost always get a better deal by buying the upgraded version. Just look at the parts list and do the math. Also you won't need spend a bunch of time changing everything.

But .... It's never going to be exactly what you want and you will probably end up modifying it anyway. Then you will change your mind and throw the parts in a box and get new stuff.

I would look at the platform and decide how much you like it in that form and how much you will need to modify it.

I don't have one but, if you want a Monster Truck the FMS Smasher seems to be popular.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/fms-fcx24-smasher-rtr-1-24-electric-monster-truck-white-fmm12402wh/p1455184?msclkid=aa1801e56cad19c927dd64c58bab9821&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Shopping PLA - All Products - (100-250) - Branded - TROAS - MM&utm_term=4584688618297121&utm_content=fms
fmm12402rd.jpg
Well said right there

Scx24 and cheap don’t exist. That platform is a money pit. Ask me how I know this. I have seen good things about the fms stuff for awhile now. Don’t get me wrong I really like my particular scx24 rig but it took a lot of money to make it acceptable for me. I ended up putting the Injora rock buggy cage on it and it’s way better than ever. I also have a furitek esc, and swapped over to the radiolink tx/rx system. It’s just a Frankenstein of stuff
It's a money pit if you choose for it to be a money pit. Just like everything in life. I would say my SCX24 mods are the cheapest of all my hobbies, by far!
Acceptable crawl performance is different for everybody. The only SCX24 that's close to a crawler is the Deadbolt. All the others are put onto the market as trail rigs.
The nice thing is that not all the mods needs to be done at once. If you have financial restraints, just upgrade one thing at a time.

Thanks for the input. I’m planning on going full comp rig and want to compete. I think I’m going to get a new one because I like working on the things.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/fms-fcx24-smasher-rtr-1-24-electric-monster-truck-white-fmm12402wh/p1455184?msclkid=aa1801e56cad19c927dd64c58bab9821&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Shopping PLA - All Products - (100-250) - Branded - TROAS - MM&utm_term=4584688618297121&utm_content=fms
fmm12402rd.jpg
I have looked at it but my scx i have has better tires, metal axles, and a faster motor than the smasher. Right now I’m just trying to find a body

Back