Heat cycling method of breaking in a new engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leesy27

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have broken in my engine's in the past the old school way

I am going to try this method but would like ask what speed range do you run it at low to mid or stick about low or mid or so on

my last point is what is the best outside temp to do it at

60 or above is the best ambient temp to run it, not only for the VERY important break in, but running in general.

what about the running speed during breakin

very interesting topic, read about this on another thread of this site. I have been very careful to follow my engine manufacturers instructions(Traxxas) when breaking in the two new engines if had of theirs, and had no issues, but the heat cycle method makes so much sense its hard to discount it. I think my next new one will be done this way, just to see for myself if there is a difference......

Usually, for the first 2-3 tanks, the tune is pretty rich and fitment of internals isn't good, so you can run WOT and it won't run very fast. I'm not saying that you should, just saying that an occasional blip to keep it running and fuel flowing is necessary and ok to do.

Generally I don't do anything over 3/4 throttle until the engine starts to loosen up, which has been 4-5 tanks. Then I only run up to WOT for a second and I ease up to WOT and let off. Rev up, idle down, Rev up, idle down, Rev up, idle down... Typically around 7-8, I just drive around gently, on/off grass/pavement, all the while varying the RPM's. After around 12-15 tanks are through them, I start driving them. I take it easy though for the first gallon of an engines life. Keeping an eye on temps, tune adjustments and general running to get an ear/feel for how the engine runs.

Even with a fully broken-in engine, I don't run extended WOT runs. Just burns fuel and is hard on things.

You're not supposed to drive it fast enough to shift during the first few tanks, then accelerate from stop to half trigger in 2 seconds, not flat out, then decelerate. Each tank take it to a higher speed. Don't be hitting high speed for any length of time till you've run an absolute minimum of 6 tanks.

just need to wait until the ambient temps get back up might get to do it in about June if I am lucky (I am in Scotland) just need to kill my other cars till then

thanks for the info everyone

Back