Having trouble keeping my engine on.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydiaz1993

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
So I built a 2 speed Nitro Rustler and it was running great up until about 2 weeks ago when the engine started stalling. I can manage to turn it on but as soon as I let go of the gas it automatically turns off. Everytime I break it kills the engine as well.
I figured it was just not tuned right so I set the low speed and high speed needle back to default as per the traxxas website But it still stalls...

Has anyone had this issue with Trx 3.3 engines ? And what's the best way to go about fixing this issue?

Thanks For your time in advance 👍

Idle RPM set with servo, not with idle screw?

Could you further explain?
Sorry. I meant that, when setting the idle RPM, do you use the trim on the throttle/break servo that you alter through your transmitter? Or do you set your idle RPM with the idle screw on the carburetor? This is how you trim a throttle/break servo:⬇️

1000009470.jpg
underneath is a idle screw, which mechanically sets the lowest possible air-fuel mixture gap:⬇️

1000009472.jpg

Explanation: when idle rpm is set through servo, the air-fuel mixture gap is fine, but once you start braking, it gets smaller or might even close. I always set my idle rpm with the screw

That was very informative man I truly appreciate that 👏 it somewhat help because I was able to tune the idle on the engine through the phone using the Traxxas app & the receiver which I was not using at all prior.
However this is still not fixing my main problem which I believe has to do with either the engine or the tranny. It might just be faulty, idk but the car does not stay still it just continues to roll and I have to break for it to slow down, but I can't break enough for it to come at a full stop because it will automatically stall.
As soon as I turn on the engine the wheel has to be running if I stop the car the engine stalls Instantly it really has me baffled.
Is there anyway to fix that or am just gonna have to live with the fact that the car has to be running at all times when I'm using it?

That was very informative man I truly appreciate that 👏 it somewhat help because I was able to tune the idle on the engine through the phone using the Traxxas app & the receiver which I was not using at all prior.
However this is still not fixing my main problem which I believe has to do with either the engine or the tranny. It might just be faulty, idk but the car does not stay still it just continues to roll and I have to break for it to slow down, but I can't break enough for it to come at a full stop because it will automatically stall.
As soon as I turn on the engine the wheel has to be running if I stop the car the engine stalls Instantly it really has me baffled.
Is there anyway to fix that or am just gonna have to live with the fact that the car has to be running at all times when I'm using it?

That has all the indications of a clutch issue, most likely broken clutch spring. The clutch is supposed to only engage when you hit the throttle, and disengage at idle. If it stalls when you hold the wheels still, it is because the engine is fighting the clutch. That's why it can idle with the wheels spinning.

That has all the indications of a clutch issue, most likely broken clutch spring. The clutch is supposed to only engage when you hit the throttle, and disengage at idle. If it stalls when you hold the wheels still, it is because the engine is fighting the clutch. That's why it can idle with the wheels spinning.
You might be on to something here! As soon as I get home I'm going to check the clutch thank you for that 👏

1000020284.jpg

You were right, this whole time I thought it was a tuning problem and it was just the clutch shoe spring that broke.
Easy fix, should be up and running later on today when I pick up the part at the hobby shop. I appreciate everyone for your expertise without you I would have taken forever to figure that out 👍

Clutch problems and clutch bell bearing problems are so often overlooked. Half the time even tuning problems are caused by a wonky clutch, and people think it’s their carbs and stuff. Crazy stuff but glad you found the problem. Great people of this forum. Take care

Maintenance and reassembly of a micromotor

Attachments

• Maintenance and reassembly of a micromotor.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 63