Hard to start hpi rs4 3 ss

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklabel

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've searched a few times and I thought I would find something but then it turns out that it isn't the problem. I have a HPI rs4 3 type ss and when I go to pull the pullstart it seems that sometimes it catches on something and it becomes hard to pull. It also does it when I turn the flywheel. This problem seems to go away when I take out the glowplug. It becomes easy to pull and it doesn't seem the "catch" at certain points when I pull the pullstart. This problem bothers me and I want to figure out the problem. After many pulls I can usually manage to get it going. I want to make it easier to start so I can use it more and finally try to tune it better.

Thanks for any help.

It is getting hard to pull because the motor is flooding with fuel and it is hydrolocking. Prime it a bit less when you try to start it. You only need to prime it until the fuel reaches the carb.

This is before I even prime it. When I have it just their and pull the pullstart, it does this. I learned the mistake of over priming it the first time I got the car.:doh: But, now I can prime it the right amount. I really flooded the engine when I get the car(yes, I was a noob) and it didn't seem that it was hard to pull it then. After that it has this problem now. I just am not sure...

If this is without fuel in the motor then its due to piston/sleeve pinch and compression. Try to heat the motor with a hair dryer before attempting to start it. Heat it up to about 125 degrees.

Will heating it with a hair dryer get rid of the problem so it won't happen again? Or will I have to replace something. I mean I can manage to get it running and a little while of trying. If I should take the motor apart and do something I would try. I will definently try the hair dryer thing....basically I'm just asking If I do it one time to get it running will it end the problem.

Thanks!

hmm....

Best thing to do IMO is tear apart the engine and give everything a once-over...this will not only tell you what is wrong, but you'll also gain a little knowledge about your engine. Posting what engine you have in the car also would have been a great help...so there's my $0.02...tear it down and find out what's out of whack. Good luck with the car.

Last edited:
Its the HPI 12Rss. I might try and do the hair dryer thing, or maybe I'll just tear it apart.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Heating the motor will cause the sleeve to expand and the motor will be much easier to pull. Did you ever try to pull start a hot motor and see how much easier it pulls?

rossb said:
Heating the motor will cause the sleeve to expand and the motor will be much easier to pull. Did you ever try to pull start a hot motor and see how much easier it pulls?
I think I read that on hear while searching for info. That makes since. I think it was easier to pull when I would restart it after it had been running. Does that mean that I possibly need a new sleeve?

Thanks.

blacklabel said:
Does that mean that I possibly need a new sleeve?

No, the sleeve should be tight when the motor is cold.

well i too have an RS4 3 ss and had the same problem for a while. IMO the
12ss engine is a piece of crap. I would suggest an O.S. engine but if you dont want to buy an engine try and loosen the blots that hold the head on the engine just a little bit, you can also try a new pullstart unit because I had lots of problems with the stock HPI one. also the rotostart is a great option i would highly recommend

rcnut143 said:
try and loosen the blots that hold the head on the engine just a little bit

This would cause a loss of compression and performance. The two real choices are:

1) Pre-heat the motor with a hair dryer.

2) Loosen the glow plug, start motor, tighten glow plug.

I prefer method # 1.

I'm gonna give the hair dryer trick a try...now just to find some free time and I'll get it running and some videos.:cheerful:

Thanks for all the help.

I hate to dig up another, but I didnt notice anyone mentioning the oneway bearing in the pullstart? It could need replacing? And as far as the mill goes, I put aproxamatly 5 gallons through one and never had a problem with it. Good luck.

I tried greasing the one way bearing when I took the pullstart off but it didn't seem to help. Could the one way bearing be bad even though when the glow plug is out, it isn't hard to pull?

blacklabel said:
I tried greasing the one way bearing when I took the pullstart off but it didn't seem to help. Could the one way bearing be bad even though when the glow plug is out, it isn't hard to pull?
You really should NOT grease the OW bearing. If it "slips" or doesn't grab then remove it and spray it with Denatured Alcohol. THATS IT.

I really think Rossb has the best advice if this is a new engine. During break in it wil be tight and difficult to start. If heating it doesn't work, loosen the plug a bit and reattach the ignitor and try.

Let us know

jon

Last edited:
The engine isn't new. It did seem to do better when I loosed the glow plug some though. Maybe I do need a new one way bearing.

no body said anything about the glow plug spacer. I worked at my lhs as a mecanic for 2 weeks and saw that about 3 time. newbs take off their glow plus, the brass spacer falls and they dont know. that raises the compression alot! the piston may even hit the plug depending on engine/plug. you problem seems like a compresion too high since it stops when plus is off. (not recomanded) when i by mistake flood an engine i lite it with a match, eh engine get all ready to be started.:celebrate3:

try turning your flywheel if it hard to turn to much compresion if not it could be your recoil on your pullstart.

no body said anything about the glow plug spacer. I worked at my lhs as a mecanic for 2 weeks and saw that about 3 time. newbs take off their glow plus, the brass spacer falls and they dont know. that raises the compression alot! the piston may even hit the plug depending on engine/plug. you problem seems like a compresion too high since it stops when plus is off. (not recomanded) when i by mistake flood an engine i lite it with a match, eh engine get all ready to be started.:celebrate3:

It isn't that I left off the washer....I made sure it was there when I put the glow plug in. The car hasn't been run since before winter...I think I might give it a try in the next week or so since the weather is going to be great.