HPI RS4 3 SS from the dead

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oachalon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My HPI RS4 3 SS has been sitting on the shelf for years and I'm ready to bring it back to life. The original Nitro star 18 engine is definitely done. I have no idea anymore what's still available that fits these things, can anyone give any recommendations. From what I found HPI makes a Nitro Star T3.0 that might fit, but are there any better options?

Thanks again,

A Nitro Star T3.0 is probably a pretty good choice. Compatible engines will have to match 3 main criteria:

Side exhaust
Threaded crankshaft
Rotary carburetor

Other matches include the VX-18, K-18, & SH-18 engines. (make sure to get the rotary carb one).

Which ones out there seem to make good power with easiest tuning (least problems)?

Which ones out there seem to make good power with easiest tuning (least problems)?

The SH-18 might be the most reliable choice, that's the brand that makes Dynamite engines and I've swapped their carbs onto other engines with good results.

Welcome in. You may want to get some spare parts as this car is discontinued. I know the hpi t15 is super easy to tune, and it idles low.

@Defiant would be the one to ask of a good nitro rs4 motor. I have 4 in various stages, one I bought from him. He has more than I and are in running order.

Thanks for the information, I will ask Defiant. I have some spare parts laying around, but not much. I am trying to get this running and my old RS4 Pro 2 running. I bought an Xmaxx not long ago and its getting me back in RC cars.