GS Storm Unlimited

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrechM

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I stopped by my lhs last night and ordered the new SUT. I have heard mostly pros and not many cons about this new truck.
I've found no hop-ups other than some interchangeable Storm Pro parts ( I haven't looked hard ). My thoughts are to drop in one of my Picco mills, change out all of the electronics and beef up the shock towers somehow.
I am very interested in any feedback that you gentlemen may have.

I was able to get a look at it while I was in Orlando. It looks exactly like the Storm buggy with the addition of MT tires. The adapters for the wheels looks like the weakest part of the truck.

I've seen one at my LHS and like mcvick said it looks like the buggy transformed to a MT.

Thats exactly what it is.. and it runs great.. our Hobby show owner has one.. and it is friggin fast.. this is the only MT that runs with my dominator.. on the same lap..

GS Storm Unlimited RTR.
10041004Dscf0045-med.jpg

3 channel FM and a .25. I picked up a good Hitec mg servo and a new battery charger to get started off on the right foot. It's very obvious from the documentation that there will be a Pro version at some point. The one thing that I found most interesting is there are 3 manuals, a GS Storm Conversion, a GS Storm Buggy and one for the radio. I'll do a review when the weather clears enough to break it in and take it for a real spin.

Nice aacquisition! Yeah it is still too muddy up here for dirt, more rain Saturday night commin they say. This is the worst part of the season up here, gonna be mostly indooring until April, May. We will see how it goes though. Mud just sucks, no traction, and it is hell to clean so no mud for me.

strechm have u run your sut in yet.i bought one before christmas and only run it a few times,so still not set up right just yet.:

Not yet, I put the hump pack in it and was looking at the steering servo I bought for it. It's still to wet where I live to run it. At best I'll break it in. Probably be at least a month or so before I'll be able to put it to the test.

Nice truck stretch. Every time I go to my LHS I look at this bad boy. It looks like a really fun little truck. Looks a hell of a lot tougher than my NMT but still kind of the same setup. Does it have typical buggy driveline??? Three diffs??

this is a good truck strechm,like i said i had mine before christmas and took it out a few times with my mate with his new savage 25,it's just like u said the weather is crap,but i can tell u it's one very quick truck,it supprised me for it's weight and it will corner very fast it won't tip it just power slides round any corner u put it in too.it's what i would call a animal of a truck,but just the final tweeks to do now then all set up,i just want to change the wheels for some disk one's i think they look cool plus they are easy to clean too.=devil

An addition to the family is always such a heart-warming event!

Congratulations to StrechM, the proud new papa!

They grow up too fast. It seems like they're running around hell's half acre in no time.

I keep seeing that acronym "sut". At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, it just stands for Storm Unlimited Truck, right?

Originally posted by newnitrofan
Nice truck stretch. Every time I go to my LHS I look at this bad boy. It looks like a really fun little truck. Looks a hell of a lot tougher than my NMT but still kind of the same setup. Does it have typical buggy driveline??? Three diffs??
It's a GS Storm RTR in every aspect except they've added a .25, larger spur gear, shock towers, shocks, wheel adapters and mt wheels/tires.

The 27mhz fm radio does look a little on the cheesey side. Horizon did tell me that the next release is supposed to have the better JR 75mhz version included but only in limited quantities.

Focus I'm glad to hear that they handle as well as the reveiwers are are stating. It's supposed to be nimble and quick around the track.

WDH, I'm assuming mcvickj is right about the SUT.

Just got the new version of this truck which includes the JR XR3i radio and the JR higher torque steering servo (Z590) and race servo (Z270). What a deal for $489. Has the heavy duty shock towers too...the other version with the standard radio may have had this though.

Time to wake up the dead. What a day. The wife is out of town and it was time to play. So I packed up the sut and mute maxx and off to the lhs I go. It's been more than 2 months since the last run. Figured I'd fire them up at the shop just in case something was wrong or? You know the story. The local tune guru was working and wanted to check on my tunning ability so we take them out back and....well I didn't remember to bring my starter box so the mute is out of the question now. So I'm down to one now. Let's see what the sut is made out of... fired it up on about the 8-10th pull and make a couple of ajustments. The brakes aren't stopping it so I hurry over to the car (rental one is in the shop) to get some hex drivers and when I turn around it's doing cartwheels, a lot of cartwheels and into a wall. My buddy couldn't resist the urge to, well you know what. That's ok and we fix the new toe out problem and off it goes. Wow...I'm impressed for a rtr with about 10 tanks through it...faster than I thought. I decided to go to my favorite dial-in spot. A grassy area with hills and it's perfect when you are not used to a new handling feel. I get it tuned to the nines and just having a blast. After an hour or so it's time to go so I start driving it back towards the car to put it away and a group of airmen are tripping on what this thing will do...they stop me at the car and we talk for awhile and when it's time to go I load it all up into the trunk.....including my rental car keys.... Now I really feel stupid and I'm standing there about a 1/2 mile from the nearest phone book that would have a lock smith listed in it. So there I stood locked out of the car and wishing my wife had not taken my truck...and whishing that she wasn't 200 miles away....it was a heck of a day.

It needs the diff fluids changed. The power is not very evenly distibuted on the sut. The torque from the .25 at wot lifts one wheel off of the ground and it pulls to side slightly. Squirrely to put it mildly, but a lot of fun. The steering servo needs to be replaced, it does not have enough power to respond to my liking. The rear shocks sag a little to much for my taste but the dificiency should be easily overcome with new springs/silicone. Overall it was a lot of fun and a brand new experience for me since it's the first true buggy platform I have owned. Highly recomended if you are looking for a budget racer. Now time for some hop ups.

What's a good starting point for diff fluid viscosities ... 7-10,000 center, 5,000 front, 3,000 rear??? Help me out gentlemen... I'm new to the Storm

Clarification: GS's recomendation 30,000 center, 10,000 front and 3,000 rear.

Last edited:
I could've helped you get in to your car, without breaking the window! takes me no time to get into a car if I have my slim jim with me ... or a wood wedge and a wire hanger.

I've done it a couple of times. Last time was with the car running.

It was three wedges and some kind of a wire something with a string on it that the locksmith used...I still feel stupid and $80 lighter. He didn't even stutter when he asked for it, 20 minute drive, 2 minutes of work and he forgot his flashlight.....lol

Originally posted by Diver6127
I would've done it for a six pack .
I have a new case of Corona's and I'd have drank all of them with you....then given you 2 sixes of pale ale....or a bottle of Crown and I'd still be ahead!

Back