Charging Lipo's...to bag or not?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I just got back into RC and we didn't have Lipos back in the day. I heard a lot of horror stories so I've been charging my batteries in a bag, inside a ammo box. I only charge at 1s and haven't noticed by batteries getting even remotely warm charging or after a drive. I then charge it back to storage mode before putting it up for the night.

I look at the pros and there's not a charging bag in site. They either charge next to the car or sometimes even in the car itself. How can they be that confident? From what I've seen you don't get a lot of time to notice a battery going bad before it smokes/flames. Do the top of the line batteries offer more safety/reliability? Or am I overthinking the battery issue?

Way Over Thanking... charge with a bog a ammo can added is fine. and you have time b4 a battery will vent with flames.not much but we being in rcshould have a far faster reaction time to most.. The battery will hiss then you have the smoke show then the 2-4 foot flame.. so about max5 seconds till fire. More like 2.5 or so..I charge batteries at 1C not S ...I have charged at 2.5 C when in a hurray,12 amps to 15 amps. I did test the theory that high charge rate n discharge can lower a batteries ir(internal resistance)..I've been running lipos since they 1st came out to us and always used a charge bag from the 1st bat box to a lipo bag to having 2- 1/2 buckets of sand in my charge area..

I store mine in bags, but I don't charge them in bags. They are at their most volatile when discharging at a high rate or charging when <3V per cell. I probably should charge in bags, just have limited space. I suppose I could buy those little individual bags at least, then start working that into my charge/discharge process. Would need to get more balance plug extensions though.

I don't own a bag or an ammo can, very often charge in the car or the heli, been doing it for 12 years. I always charge at the highest rate my charges will allow. I have batteries that are over 10 years old, I have also discarded batteries because they are finally unusable.
I did have a fire once, destroyed a Trex 250. Some dummy (me) was trying to rejuvenate a dead battery, I guessed (wrong) that a high charge rate would bring it back. Unfortunately I left it unattended and learned the hard way. Since then if a battery will not immediately take a charge, I will dis-charge it and trash it. Batteries are cheap in comparison to cars and helis

I guess, I can say that am not a noob any more, can actually go bashing and come home and not break either my mt410 or my granite, lol it took a few tries. So am graduating my self out of noob. I know a little about batteries and suggest that noobs that use lithium batteries learn a little about lithium batteries. The time spend is well worth it and the lithium fear will go away. lithium batteries can explode, also ammo, gasoline and a whole bunch of other stuff we use everyday. Learn how to spot a lithium battery as it goes bad. It doesn't go bad over night so if you keep your eyes on your battery inspect for cell balancing (I don't like to see more than .2 variance between cells), no puffing, not hot when charging or discharging. warm is ok. Don't see a need to buy a bag. btw I do not charge unattended batteries and if I do need to walk away they go on the concrete floor. Anybody out there who thinks am risking a fire?

LIPO batteries do not explode THATS A RC MYTH> they will vent making a hissing sound then they will let the so called magic smoke then catch fire. they will not ever explode..

yeah, that's what I meant by exploding it's not TNT, it's like a roman candle :) which reminds me of my roman candle fights days in the golf course at night lol

While working at the electric vehicle manufacturing plant, I've seen couple of those LiPo's go up in flames. Not much you can do with a battery that big. THe fire fighter would just sit and watch it burn. If it was in a dangerous area, we would throw a chain around it and drag it out to the parking lot. Because they burn so hot, the only way to put it out is to smother it. Like TNT said, Sand works good or a flame proof blanket. Unless the bag is sealed, it won't do anything but isolate the flame.

LIPO batteries do not explode THATS A RC MYTH> they will vent making a hissing sound then they will let the so called magic smoke then catch fire. they will not ever explode..
TNT,
So you have had on go up in flames? I have yet to see an RC battery go up in flames. What do you think caused it?

it was a abused race pack 2 cell carbon(reedy) 4600mah 120C .. (guy pulled 3500mah a race then charged back up at 15 amps)it was a static charge when the guy hooked his charger up his finger did it..that dreaded hiss for about 4 seconds then the magic smoke then about 2 sec. still in his buggy it went up burnt his rear aluminum shock tower and T plate a molten globe .been told they burn at 900 Degree f. I was less than 4 feet away herd the 4 letter word after I heard the snap from the static charge..seen others just 2 far away...

I accidentally put a screwdriver through a cell phone lipo... it shot smoke and flames out while in my hands... that was unpleasant. I was trying to peal the connector off to see if I could replace it. It was an old one that was dead and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Just glad I didn't drop it on my carpet and that I had pliers on my desk to drop it, then grab it with those and hold it while I ran down 3 flights of stairs to put it outside.

2020-0929-DeepwaterHorizon-notSmart.jpg

seen a guy at the track cut both red n black wires and a small puff of smoke .battery still worked but he hit the wood and snapped the front C and that was it on 1st lap. darn wood magnets always on HIGH.lol

seen a guy at the track cut both red n black wires and a small puff of smoke .battery still worked but he hit the wood and snapped the front C and that was it on 1st lap. darn wood magnets always on HIGH.lol
I've touched them to tools when building packs or changing ends... it's terrifying! Loud pop and sparks! My 100W soldering iron has a notch in it now where I shorted a pack once... solder doesn't stick there anymore. :(