First Mini B race! And other track news!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Went down to the track today for some Mini B offroad racing! All 3/4 of us ran Mini B open or mod class. Open or mod as in brushless motors and unlimited upgrades. If we have the people we will also do mini b box stock, mini t open/mod, mini t box stock, and other mini classes. But Mini B will be the most popular.

1st Qual, I got in 3rd, with a ball cup popping out in the middle of it.
2nd Qual, I got a DNF, The ball stud pulled out of the rear camber block / gear case which caused it to break.
We were about to do a 3rd Qual, but my rear shock tower just pulled through the screws. All of us 3/4 called it quits for the day.
This will be a great time for upgrades!
I am getting various aluminum parts like front bulkhead, steering bellcrank with bearings, new chassis, chassis protectors, Aluminum gear case, carbon fiber rear shock tower. And some other stuff which I am forgetting about.
Oh, with the ball stud coming out, I lost the driveshaft. Black little axle on a huge black / grey carpet track. That was a pain, found it in about 15 minutes with some video footage. And since then, I spray painted them bright orange so if they do fall out, I will be able to see them!
With this carpet, the carpet strings are non stop. So after each run you have to go with curved siccors around the hexes, and axles to get the carpet strings out.

I did brought and ran the 1/10 buggy (B74.1) and it ran very well. No issues with shutting off or whatever. I guess the heat shrink near/over the bullets helped with it? I did monitor motor temperatures. Motor temperatures staid within 125F-135F with normal 6 minute sessions. When I was driving the buggy for 10/15+ minutes, the motor was around 155F after. But these motors aren't really meant for running for so long so that's that.

Some track announcements. (Which should be really posted on the RC Underground thread I created, but oh well) Here is the revised Race schedule as of a couple days ago:

RCUA Race schedule:
Thursdays:
- 1/10 Buggy/SCT Carpet Off-Road Racing at 7pm
- Drifters Meet-Up (All Day)
- All other Tracks open for normal practice
Fridays:
- TT02, Euro Truck and Onroad/Rally Practice on carpet (no jumps)
Saturdays:
- Mini-B Racing Stock/Mod (starting 6/10/23 at noon)
alternating weekends with
- TT02/Euro Truck, Onroad Racing (starting 6/17/23 at noon)
Sundays:
- Mini-Z Racing starts at noon
- Drift Tandem Trials (starting 6/17/23 at 2pm)

All of the other news:

Today we had Mini B offroad racing. We only did 2/3 Quals today since everyone was tired and done. And most people had to wrap up and go home. Today there was me, and 3 other kids racing Mini B's. (2 are owners, the other 1 is another racers son)

Today, we had some Mini Z action right before I had to leave

Drag Strip, the place next door (DoodleHatch) is expanding their space so RCUA will have to get rid of the carpet track strip in the back of the place. Lamont is trying to find a outdoor spot for the weekends. He also has a new drag tree which we will test out.

They have several new pit tables and more pit area. They used majority of the old wood drivers stand, and turned it into high pit tables.

The new drivers stand is now lower than the last one, and is a metal stage to meet with regulations of Howard County. They still used the wood stairs from the last one on the new one. Not to mention, that the new drivers stand does not have a handicap ramp and is shorter in length.

This weekend, we had this organization come in and rent out their little space they used over this weekend. Its like robot conflict or mini battle bots. Pretty cool. Because of this, we had twice as many people here than a normal weekend, maybe more people. There were lots of kids too, so loved to see that. (majority because of the robots)

Spray Painted axles for mini b
353022812_205183969137688_9036734653314416673_n.jpg
353437418_205167689139316_4563860178305548473_n.jpg

20230610_124450.jpg

Robot Conflict Arena
20230610_124720.jpg

1st Qual Drivers: (Cole, Landon, Me (David)
20230610_140542.jpg

Up-lighting at the Mini Z track:

20230610_160224.jpg

2nd Qual Drivers:
20230610_161807.jpg

My Pit area for today:
PXL_20230610_165129820.jpg

New drivers stand:
PXL_20230610_165139159.MP.jpg

Some more Mini B's
PXL_20230610_170427230.jpg

My Cars:
PXL_20230610_173402922.jpg

Rear Shock tower break:
PXL_20230610_202135617.jpg

Next weekend, they might have Mini B racing on Sunday instead of Saturday. Planning on going a couple of Thursday nights for some 1/10 buggy racing. Might see if my uncle can take me down more Saturday's for Mini B racing.

Last edited:
Great race report and update, David.

Nothing like racing to bring out flaws that prompt correction, modification or repair. Good thinking on the orange drive shafts.

Traction breakage on the Mini-B, or just weak components that need upgrade for racing? Thoughts? Cheers. 'AC'

Great race report and update, David.

Nothing like racing to bring out flaws that prompt correction, modification or repair. Good thinking on the orange drive shafts.

Traction breakage on the Mini-B, or just weak components that need upgrade for racing? Thoughts? Cheers. 'AC'
Well, I did a flip on the straight which broke the left side of the rear camber block and gear case. And then, the shock tower all ready pulled through the screws before, attempted to fix it, and it didn't work.

So I need a new gear case. Me and and owner are thinking about aluminum for that. New shock tower, owner is running a carbon fiber one so I will try that out. And I will get new (well extra) driveshafts. I heard the MIP driveshafts were slightly shorter than stock and has problems? Not sure about that.

I am getting a few upgrades to other parts if they do break.

I was thinking about the MIP ball diff but on this huh traction carpet, some people had problems with it slipping. So I'm thinking I'll stick with the stock gear diff. Even though it's not sealed.

Everyone has these ball cup problems.(Ball cup popping off ball studd) Not really sure what the solution is for them. When the ball cup pops off, you can either be very lucky and the driveshaft is still there, or unlucky like I was yesterday and trying to find it in a huge pile of carpet strings. 😐

Yesterday was a fun day too. It was a learning experience. From going from a 4wd 1/10 to a 2wd Mini. Also learned how to drive the mini b better. I also did it with the B74 too. As I was going through the ramps/jumps smoothly.

With the mini b, it stayed planted yesterday which is surprising. Maybe its because I just smoothly went on the throttle and not to full throttle all the time?

Went down to the track today for some Mini B offroad racing! All 3/4 of us ran Mini B open or mod class. Open or mod as in brushless motors and unlimited upgrades. If we have the people we will also do mini b box stock, mini t open/mod, mini t box stock, and other mini classes. But Mini B will be the most popular.

2nd Qual, I got a DNF, The ball stud pulled out of the rear camber block / gear case which caused it to break.
We were about to do a 3rd Qual, but my rear shock tower just pulled through the screws. All of us 3/4 called it quits for the day.
I am getting various aluminum parts like front bulkhead, steering bellcrank with bearings, new chassis, chassis protectors, Aluminum gear case, carbon fiber rear shock tower. And some other stuff which I am forgetting about.
Oh, with the ball stud coming out, I lost the driveshaft. Black little axle on a huge black / grey carpet track. That was a pain, found it in about 15 minutes with some video footage. And since then, I spray painted them bright orange so if they do fall out, I will be able to see them!
With this carpet, the carpet strings are non stop. So after each run you have to go with curved siccors around the hexes, and axles to get the carpet strings out.

I did brought and ran the 1/10 buggy (B74.1) and it ran very well. No issues with shutting off or whatever. I guess the heat shrink near/over the bullets helped with it? I did monitor motor temperatures. Motor temperatures staid within 125F-135F with normal 6 minute sessions. When I was driving the buggy for 10/15+ minutes, the motor was around 155F after. But these motors aren't really meant for running for so long so that's that.

Some track announcements. (Which should be really posted on the RC Underground thread I created, but oh well) Here is the revised Race schedule as of a couple days ago:

RCUA Race schedule:
Thursdays:
Fridays:
Saturdays:
Sundays:

All of the other news:

Today we had Mini B offroad racing. We only did 2/3 Quals today since everyone was tired and done. And most people had to wrap up and go home. Today there was me, and 3 other kids racing Mini B's. (2 are owners, the other 1 is another racers son)

Drag Strip, the place next door (DoodleHatch) is expanding their space so RCUA will have to get rid of the carpet track strip in the back of the place. Lamont is trying to find a outdoor spot for the weekends. He also has a new drag tree which we will test out.

They have several new pit tables and more pit area. They used majority of the old wood drivers stand, and turned it into high pit tables.

The new drivers stand is now lower than the last one, and is a metal stage to meet with regulations of Howard County. They still used the wood stairs from the last one on the new one. Not to mention, that the new drivers stand does not have a handicap ramp and is shorter in length.

This weekend, we had this organization come in and rent out their little space they used over this weekend. Its like robot conflict or mini battle bots. Pretty cool. Because of this, we had twice as many people here than a normal weekend, maybe more people. There were lots of kids too, so loved to see that. (majority because of the robots)

View attachment 167133View attachment 167134

View attachment 167135
Robot Conflict Arena
View attachment 167137
View attachment 167138

View attachment 167143
2nd Qual Drivers:
View attachment 167144
My Pit area for today:
View attachment 167147
New drivers stand:
View attachment 167148
Some more Mini B's
View attachment 167151
My Cars:
View attachment 167152
Rear Shock tower break:
View attachment 167156
Next weekend, they might have Mini B racing on Sunday instead of Saturday. Planning on going a couple of Thursday nights for some 1/10 buggy racing. Might see if my uncle can take me down more Saturday's for Mini B racing.
That looks super fun! Our local track only does TT02’s now… guess the mini b’s didn’t get enough turnout. 😒

That looks super fun! Our local track only does TT02’s now… guess the mini b’s didn’t get enough turnout. 😒
Yea. I brought mine. The owner (Lamont) has 3 mini Bs that he let people run. Hopefully it can grow a little in the next few weeks.

It seems that mini b is very fragile. At my local truck sometimes we run mini b, and every race someone either brake something or ball ends pop out. I usually run 3 classes, last time 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy and 2wd stadium truck, sometimes short course. We run truggy and stadium trucks combined, before I was running tekno et410.2, but now switched to xray xt2. It's slower but it's new to me so it's more fun.

I really enjoy 1/10 2wd buggy and usually I do quiet well and I bump up to amain. Mini b is not appealing to me

IMG_20230617_074555585_HDR.jpg

RCUA Race schedule:
Thursdays:
Fridays:
Saturdays:
Sundays:

All of the other news:

View attachment 167133View attachment 167134

View attachment 167135
Robot Conflict Arena
View attachment 167137
View attachment 167138

View attachment 167143
2nd Qual Drivers:
View attachment 167144
My Pit area for today:
View attachment 167147
New drivers stand:
View attachment 167148
Some more Mini B's
View attachment 167151
My Cars:
View attachment 167152
Rear Shock tower break:
View attachment 167156
I know that mini b is not easy to jump and control, but sometimes it's better to do single jumps instead of risking crashing. Last time we had 2 jumps that were difficult, one was really big, my buggy had planty of power to clear it, but I didn't feel confident that I will long up, so mostly I was going single single. Other jump was not that big but difficult and not that easy to align so I was going single single most of the time as well. Still, managed to finish second and bump up to amain. Even though it says first place, another guy had issue with transponder and didn't read his 2 laps.

Yes I crashed on the first corner :) but I was able to get back to second spot within first lap.

Although I was not very consistent at this race, consistency is better than risky jumps and crashes.

Last edited:
It seems that mini b is very fragile. At my local truck sometimes we run mini b, and every race someone either brake something or ball ends pop out.
Yes, In stock form, Yes. Once upgraded to aluminum hopups, or carbon fiber shock towers. It is a bit more durable. THere is no upgrade or fix to the ball cup problem yet. So if I crash hard, one ball cup pops out, my steering can be whack, or front camber. Or the rear can pop out which makes the dog bone fall out. Thats why I spray painted it orange so I can see if on the black/grey track.

know that mini b is not easy to jump and control, but sometimes it's better to do single jumps instead of risking crashing.
This thread was my first mini b race 2 weeks ago. Last saturday, I went for another Mini B race. I think I posted my results on the forum somewhere. Ill find it. But this time, I was driving with a new esc and motor. Also with the upgraded aluminum gear case, and carbon fiber rear shock tower. Didn't take any video but I greatly improved my driving from my first race. I set up the throttle expo in my radio so it ramps up the throttle when I pull the trigger, so I don't wheelie or back flip. I also managed to learn the ramps and jumps more without crashing. Its a bit hard going from a 4wd 1/10 buggy first race, and a couple races later with a 2wd 1/16 buggy. Should be going mini B racing this or next saturday. Here is the thread from last 1/10 buggy and mini b racing: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/1-10-buggy-and-mini-b-racing-saturday.138685/
Outdoor turf track. Nice. Will be nice to race on a outdoor turf track in the spring/ early summer. And early fall. In the mid summer and winter, Ill be inside with the AC/Heat.
Edit: I mean, I always full send my cars sooo yea. Heres what I can do,
I can try to clear the jumps and send it, but might risk popping a ball cup and losing a dog bone
Or I can take the ramps slower, ramp by ramp, and will be more successful since I won't break down.
I am going to do a mix of both as last time, i improved my driving alot.
Last weekend, my mom just said to put super glue on it and it will keep it in place.
In my thought, I'm not sure if it will work since the ball cup and ball stud are moving parts when the suspension is going up and down?
I did a post on FB the other day. Someone suggested to use the JConcepts titanium FIN turnbuckles as the diameter is bigger and sits in the ball cups more tightly? Not sure if this will prevent the ball cup popping off the ball stud issue.

Last edited: