Gs Storm Rtr??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuggyboyGS21

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is this buggy good? What kind of Engine? Fast? Good Accel? Would this be ok for local races..?

The RTR GS STorm Plus seems like a decent buggy. I have driven and own a GS Storm Pro. I have owned the Storm RTR before and the stock set up is decent if you are starting off. Depending on what your budget is, the new Storm CL-1 seems to be a great platform.

LOTS of other buggys out there now, I would steer clear of the Storm, unless you can get it really cheap. On the good side many places still have parts for them. It is a decent starter buggy,and ok for any track,since it has a .21 stock. The radio gear on the stock ones is FM, which is good, but not the best quality. Others to lookmat are the (RTR) CEN Matrix,Ofna Hyper 7 series, I would also put the 9.5 series on par with GS. The Sportwerks Mayhem is decent, but the RTR has a .26, which your track may or may not allow.
Also look to see what the track/hobby shop carries for parts, so when you brake at the track(you will we all do) you can pick up parts and not end your day early.

go hyper instead. and thats comin from a GS junkie. RTR chassis, kingpin braces, and towers all weak. all the 'blue' parts, not good quality @ all.

-ult

UltegraSTI said:
go hyper instead. and thats comin from a GS junkie. RTR chassis, kingpin braces, and towers all weak. all the 'blue' parts, not good quality @ all.

-ult
I agree with you on the towers being weak. My BRO's Storm is pretty strong. We replaced the towers with the Holeshot ones. Added the Pro braces to the ride and it is strong. I still think the ride is a decent starter buggy. For about 320 the Plus is a great place to start.

The storm is starting to becomg a bit of a dated buggy but still pretty capable. With any ride there are a couple weak points. I have never owned one but I have heard great things from the people who have.

My opinion, for what its worth, with so many very good new choices on the market there are better ones to be had if your buying new. If your buying used and you can get a good deal of say about $150-$200 depending on what else is included then I say got for it. If your buying new, I would possibly look into the hyper 7 or Lightning 2 in the same price range. But, also take into consideration what your local hobby shop has parts for. Its great to save money online or buying a used buggy but if you can't get parts when your broken your not going to be having much fun waiting for the UPS guy to show up. Youve got the weight your options.

On the other hand, if youve got 1k-2k to put down on a buggy kit and buy peices individually then there are a slew of VERY NICE buggies to choose from. But thats top level competition were talking about.

I had one when I worked at a LHS. It was one of the first ones to come out... You literally have to go over it with a fine tooth comb, as with any RTR.

Problems I had with mine;

diff shredded, due to lack of shims and oil
rear diff was backwards
engine sounded like duck flatulence

It took a few weeks to get those problems correct. Then, a fellow racer helped me find replacement gears. The inner diff gears are the same exact things as the Kyosho Inferno 6 gears. KYOBS036 and KYOBS037, if memory serves right.

Next was the duck sound; a different exhaust header solved the problem. Coupled with a better pipe, and it really brought the B01 to life. The Storm now comes with a B03, which, from what I've read about it, has a lot more torque and top end.

As for the backwards diff; just roll the rear tires, and watch the fronts; they should spin in the same direction. If not, it's fairly easy to correct it.

A good starting setup is 40wt oil all the way around, stock springs, and 7,000 front, 7,000 center, and 1,000 rear. It'll really hook up, especially on those stock diamond treads (been thinkin about a set for the mugen... They are deceptively good tires).

Now, as for weak points; shock towers have to be replaced ASAP. Mine bent in one jump. GS also makes a set that are option-parts for the Pro; if you can track 'em down, they're great. Center braces are the next to go; get the front, rear, and rear bulkhead braces. Also, get the metal lower arm mounts, and hingepin braces.

Those parts alone should take care of 99% of the weak points. I've also found that the teeth on the clutchbell wear pretty fast, too. About the only thing you can do is replace with an Ofna bell. It's a direct fit. Also, keep an eye on the clutch bearings. They tend to wear out fast. If you take them out, and put a drop of oil on them after every bash-day (roughly 12 runs or so), they should last a long time.

Aftermarket rims; Ofna 17mm rims are a direct fit; they even widen the stance a little bit, giving more stability.

Lastly, the pullstart on the engine will break if you don't pre-heat the engine before trying to start it. Use a good hairdryer, or preferably, a heat gun, to get the engine up to heat before starting, apply starter, and give it about 5-7 tugs. It should fire right up and run like a top.

Hope that helps! If you have any problems, please feel free to come back and post on here. Someone will be more-than-glad to help you out.

sheesh 4got bout the bell and the shoes. stock GS shoes glaze like nothin i've seen. if u get this. have to go get the heavy duty shoes from GS. problems solves. more prevalent in the SUT to see this off the bat, but the bugs still suffer some as well.

seriously, look elswhere. HYPER 7 TQ Pro!!! its new, 480bux (tower could have a coupon) and u get a hyper w/alot of bling and hopups and a hyper race motor!!!! choose ur radio of pref (which u'd do anyway b/c RTR radios are junk).

btw, what have i driven and what i'll drive again this year. a storm pro and possibly a SUT CE. good luck.

-ult

Back