Kyosho Fazer MK2 RTR, any good? What instead?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manderthal

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I mostly like slow crawlers but I was also thinking it'd be fun to have a road car. Not really for tearing up the streets but my lodge building has a big empty hall with hardwood floors that I can use. Not a bad way to get out of the house this winter.
I like scale looking cars. Not into racecars, wild looking paint jobs, just plain, scale-ish stuff. Realism is cool IMO.
I confess - I like RTR stuff because I don't know much about electronics, though I do like to tinker with bolt on upgrades when possible. I also like trucks and old cars in real life.
Kind of like this:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...etside-4wd-pickup-light-green/KYO34435T1.html
Are these durable and good for tinkering?
Any better ideas that I should consider?
Again, I'm not racing - just something sort of realistic looking that I can mess around with and drive in the lodge hall.
Thank you.

Kyosho is a reputable brand and they released the Fazer chassis early 2017 so there's a good chance it won't be discontinued anytime soon, but there's no guarantee how long it will last:
https://www.redrc.net/2017/04/kyosho-ep-fazer-toyota-supra-type-1-drift-car-kit/

Keep in mind that you can buy any variant of the Fazer and buy that truck body separately later when it comes in stock. Pretty much any 190mm or 200mm touring car body will fit the Fazer.

Look at the Tamiya TT-02 bodies, that's another chassis that will stand the test of time.

I built a Fazer MK2 kit and I really like it. Easy kit but the wheel base is only 10.23"
so body choices are somewhat limited. I painted up a El Camino and put on it, and she
runs awesome. I've yet to roll it and it handles quite well.

IMG_0839.JPG

I built a Fazer MK2 kit and I really like it. Easy kit but the wheel base is only 10.23"
so body choices are somewhat limited. I painted up a El Camino and put on it, and she
runs awesome. I've yet to roll it and it handles quite well.

View attachment 174823
Kyosho fazer is listed at 260mm wheelbase. The HPI Nitro RS4 is 258mm.

Sweet ride. In high-school my buddy and I terrorized in an 83 conquista 402 Elky.

The Fazer is a fine rig but to run a 1/10 scale indoors is gonna take a ton of space. If you find you dont have quite enough room in the hall for a 1/10 scale you could possibly look at the Losi Mini B or Losi Mini T 2.0. Just a thought. IDK how big said hall is. :)

That's a good point about the hall. The Fazer would never get to really stretch its legs. I could dial down the throttle on the transmitter to make it work but there might be better choices out there for what I'm looking for.
Fazer still looks cool but more info is needed. I wont pull the plug just yet.

If you're into realism, you should check out the Kyosho Mini-Z line. They have a lot of realistic looking minis although at 1/28th scale they are a fair site smaller than the Losi minis that are 1/18th scale. That being said the Mini-Zs have a huge following and a lot of after market support. There are a lot of companies that make brushless minis though. Anyrthing from 1/12 scale all the way down to the micro range of 1/32 scale.

The 1/10 scale drift car isnt a bad idea either but if I were inclined to do that Id probably just go ahead and buy an actual drift car but you can make Bill's suggestion work too.

I haven't had much luck with anything smaller than 1/10 in terms of longevity of the electronics which tend to have too short of lifespan. They are also much more difficult to control, 1/10 is my sweetspot all around for longevity and ease of use.

I once bought several Mini Q-3's which were 1/28 cars to race my co-workers at the office where I setup a track using masking tape and they held up okay, but the batteries and motors needed replacement after 3-4 months of regular use:

This would be the modern day equivalent of it here:
https://usa.banggood.com/Wltoys-284....html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=531931&rmmds=search

1699902823102.png

I second the Kyosho Mini Z. I don't have one, but a guy I know has some with the Kyosho track in his basement. So jealous.

If you're into realism, you should check out the Kyosho Mini-Z line. They have a lot of realistic looking minis although at 1/28th scale they are a fair site smaller than the Losi minis that are 1/18th scale. That being said the Mini-Zs have a huge following and a lot of after market support. There are a lot of companies that make brushless minis though. Anyrthing from 1/12 scale all the way down to the micro range of 1/32 scale.

The 1/10 scale drift car isnt a bad idea either but if I were inclined to do that Id probably just go ahead and buy an actual drift car but you can make Bill's suggestion work too.

I took your advice and bought a Mini-Z. Lucky me, it was on sale.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho...kyline-2000gtr-kpgc10-body-kyo32636s/p1500310

I haven't tried it out yet but the batteries are charging and I hope to be at the wheel this weekend.
If the Mini-Z doesn't do it for me, Christmas is coming and my bride has been asking for some ideas of what I want. I'm probably going to ask for it no matter what.

After looking into tenth scale cars and particularly ones with licensed bodies I have ascertained the best bang for buck is the Redcat Lightning EPX Drift cars if you plan on using your own body built out the way you want on the Redcat chassis. I've done several and the chassis are hard to beat.

Check out one of mine here:

I'm pretty excited about it. I always thought these were great looking cars. Pocket size makes it hard to resist.
MiniZ.jpg

After looking into tenth scale cars and particularly ones with licensed bodies I have ascertained the best bang for buck is the Redcat Lightning EPX Drift cars if you plan on using your own body built out the way you want on the Redcat chassis. I've done several and the chassis are hard to beat.

Check out one of mine here:
That was good work. I haven't painted a body yet. I think the trimming freaks me out more than the painting. Yours came out good. No jagged edges.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about it. I always thought these were great looking cars. Pocket size makes it hard to resist.
View attachment 175068

That was good work. I haven't painted a body yet. I think the trimming freaks me out more than the painting. Yours came out good. No jagged edges.
Thanks! I have a solution to jagged edges: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxoKM-b5iqXosZ42Z-kRWchi6EDQCW4uR0?feature=shared

Also, did you see this? I think it might be very helpful.

That was a good video. It didn't dissuade me from the Kyosho. I know I'll never exceed the maximums of the platform. Good looks and just goofing around are all I want. In the parking lot it seemed to do just fine.

That was a good video. It didn't dissuade me from the Kyosho. I know I'll never exceed the maximums of the platform. Good looks and just goofing around are all I want. In the parking lot it seemed to do just fine.
I'm glad it helped!

Coincidentally, I was just researching 1/10 "touring cars". Started with the cool looks of the AE Apex2 Hoonicorn (available in 1/7 soon), which was scratched when the performance of the AE Apex2 chassis vs the Fazer chassis were compared, and I realized the sizeable performance advantage the Fazer has, over the Apex2. I was especially drawn to the Fazer 240Z (totaled my 1:1 280Z in my 20s, then restored a second 280Z), and the '69 Camaro Z28. I'm not aware of any other 1/10 platform that comes close to the scale detail of the Kyoshos. They seem a bit more collectable, as well, since they do runs of certain models, then they're gone. I wound up buying something I would drive, since the Fazers are really too nice for me to want to drive on the street. Replacement bodies are pricey, and I didn't see any body cheap enough where I wouldn't cringe, seeing it slide down the concrete on its' lid. The cars are a good value, and for your driving spot, and taste for scale, the attraction to the Fazer line is well founded. If you find anything as scale, that performs near enough, at this price point, let me know. For me, if I'm not going to drive it, I may as well get a non-running scale model, for shelf duty. When I want to play in the street, I run my AE Rival MT10, which is pretty bomb proof, and a painted factory body is ~$50. You could run without the body, but honestly, from a driving standpoint, they are relatively limited in capability, when compared to other options, if your operating outdoors "in the wild". If you accept the fact that that pretty body will likely take damage, indoors or out, with regular use, there's no issue. I'm off to night run that MT10, right on the street & yard in front of my house. 1st, I think I'll be nice, and slap some gorilla tape on the holes that are starting to show up in the body. :)

This is the big, mostly empty hall with hardwood floors that I'll be zooming my little cars around. Just imagine the power slides.
A little Mini-Z could get up to full speed and really rack up some miles on a floor like that once the tables get moved or I'll just use the empty 3rd behind the tables if I'm feeling lazy.
Slalom?
Yep, it's gonna be fun.

20231118_114432.jpg

This is the big, mostly empty hall with hardwood floors that I'll be zooming my little cars around. Just imagine the power slides.
A little Mini-Z could get up to full speed and really rack up some miles on a floor like that once the tables get moved or I'll just use the empty 3rd behind the tables if I'm feeling lazy.
Slalom?
Yep, it's gonna be fun.

View attachment 175143
Enjoy bro. Enjoy. I had thoughts of doing that in an empty unit I have here before the remodel 🤔

Back