My first 1/10 Buggy !

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggydream

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello ! I have few general questions if someone can help ! :)

I would love to buy a 1/10th buggy. I have no equipment at all, besides a good charger (ac 200w dc650 15a from Hota)
1/10 Buggy: At first I wanted to avoid a RTR buggy… now I was wondering if it would be a good idea after all ? Specially if my RTR buggy version would be compatible with my future Buggy kit purchase ? Is it possible ? Per example I buy a RTR Tekno to understand/learn and few months later I would buy their Kit version that is more advanced but would also be compatible somehow with my RTR for parts.

As for Buggy brands, I had Tekno, Losi, Team Associated, Serpent, XRay,
Yokomo and Schumacher in mind.

What brand would be more of a logical choice regarding budget without losing much of performance ?

Radio: I was thinking between a Sanwa or a Futaba. I can't afford the high-end range but I would be able to save some and buy a mid-range. (perhaps a Sanwa MT-5 or the equivalent with Futaba?)

Which brand is more versatile if I want to use with future cars ? Do they share a standard protocol or their radios will only work with their receivers ?

Thank you very much. :)

BD

The Arrma buggies are decent but I don't recommend the Mega version.
The Typhon V3 3s is a cool ride but if you really want to step it up then the Typhon 6s is a good one.
You posted a few really good rigs as well.
Have fun and don't be afraid to ask these guys anything.

I know the Typhon is bigger than 1/10 scale but it is a great rig. You can run the 6s Typhon on 4s too.I like the fact that with just a quick tire swap, it makes a great street machine too. Just a thought if you didn't mind going bigger than 1/10 scale. I don't have any experience with the 1/10 buggies so can't comment there.

It's considered a 1/8 yes but I think it's more of a 1/10 scale.
Kind of puzzling actually. The drag car DR10 I gave to @WickedFog son is a 1/10 scale but it is huge.

Yeah, the no-prep stuff is huge bodied, but 1/10 scale chassis. Here is the DR10 next to a 6S Kraton. The Kraton next to the Mad Crusher (also from Tunedpipe), and the Mad Crusher next to a 1/10 Kyosho Turbo Scorpion. As you can see... something doesn't jive here when it comes to scale 🤔
20211120_190706.jpg

20211120_190629.jpg
20210920_144357.jpg

20210920_144734.jpg

As far as the Op's questions...

I became a buggy fan when I built my first one in '86 which was the Kyosho Javelin. By far the most complicated, but one of the most fun builds I have ever done. The kyosho Turbo Scorpion pictured above is by far the nicest kit I have ever built. The machining is the best I have seen in RC, and the plastic components in the kit are made from a very good composition. It's hard to describe other than to say it's like soft metal. The best plastics I have ever seen in an RC build has been the Turbo Scorpion, and Kyosho Javelin. My Javelin took a tremendous beating, and never had a single breakage.

One of my favorites for buggies was the Associated RC10 line. They afterall were the world champs back in the day. They were quality kits, fun to assemble, and an absolute blast to drive. Something about the RC10 just made it feel like a winner because it handled like a dream.

Tekno actually doesn't sell any RTR vehicles, but are considered some of the best kits out there. I have watched a few Teknos get built on here, and they all seem like very nice and very durable kits. Parts availability should be no problem as well. The bashing vids I have watched of the MT410 monster truck (truggy) taking huge jumps, crashes, etc, and driving away unscathed is pretty darned impressive.

Nowadays, at our local track, there seems to be a lot of Losi, Tekno, and Associated being driven by the hardcore racers. I have no experience with newer buggies, but can assure you these are all top of the line kits. But I would not rule out Kyosho against any of these guys. Their newer stuff looks to be as nice as their older stuff.

If I were planning on running a buggy at the track, it would be a very, very hard choice for me to pick between Associated, Tekno, Losi, or Kyosho. I would want all 4 actually, and feel bad I let the others down by not picking them... seriously lol. If I was just wanting something to bash on around home, I'd probably pick the Tekno, or as @Tunedpipe and @Doom! mentioned... the Arrma Typhon.

Hope my blabbering helps.

Last edited:
Hello ! I have few general questions if someone can help ! :)

I would love to buy a 1/10th buggy. I have no equipment at all, besides a good charger (ac 200w dc650 15a from Hota)
1/10 Buggy: At first I wanted to avoid a RTR buggy… now I was wondering if it would be a good idea after all ? Specially if my RTR buggy version would be compatible with my future Buggy kit purchase ? Is it possible ? Per example I buy a RTR Tekno to understand/learn and few months later I would buy their Kit version that is more advanced but would also be compatible somehow with my RTR for parts.
If you really want to know and understand the buggy then buy a kit and build it.

As for Buggy brands, I had Tekno, Losi, Team Associated, Serpent, XRay,
Yokomo and Schumacher in mind.

What brand would be more of a logical choice regarding budget without losing much of performance ?
Not sure about Schumacher but the rest of those brands are going to have good quality racing buggies. Losi and Associated are probably going to have a bit more in the way of after market parts support but I wouldnt hesitate to buy any of the other brands.

Radio: I was thinking between a Sanwa or a Futaba. I can't afford the high-end range but I would be able to save some and buy a mid-range. (perhaps a Sanwa MT-5 or the equivalent with Futaba?)

Which brand is more versatile if I want to use with future cars ?
Sanwa or Futaba either one is great. can't go wrong here

Do they share a standard protocol or their radios will only work with their receivers ?
They do not share receivers.

Another vote for Typhon 6s. :thumbs-up:

Also, all of Arrma's 6s line parts are compatible with each other. You can do so much with the Typhon. I have I stretched one with a Kraton Chassis for on road.

I also took another Typhon and made it a basher with Kraton hubs and hub extenders and a few other parts. Some people will use the Mojave arms to widen it. They are a blast!! 😁 ✌️
20221008_184100.jpg

20221009_171631.jpg

Another vote for Typhon 6s. :thumbs-up:

Also, all of Arrma's 6s line parts are compatible with each other. You can do so much with the Typhon. I have I stretched one with a Kraton Chassis for on road.

I also took another Typhon and made it a basher with Kraton hubs and hub extenders and a few other parts. Some people will use the Mojave arms to widen it. They are a blast!! 😁 ✌️
View attachment 154171

View attachment 154172
Those arent 1/10 scale though

Those arent 1/10 scale though
True, but they are like a 1/9 scale. My SCT is 1/10 and bigger than my 1/8 Typhon. Sorry, should have said that like others did above, just assumed it was already said. That'swhy I was agreeing with their post. Still well worth it to get an Arrma, regardless of size. :thumbs-up:

Back